Derby v Burnley

Chris Mills

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thorne? THORNE? He's our number 34, right? You sure you have the right player?

Yeah I'd agree he was poor by his standards.

As Claret Matt said, he looked ring rusty. He'll be back to form soon but last night came a bit too soon.

I thought Weimann was poor. He battled well enough but once again did not look a £2.5m Premiership striker. He didn't take defenders on, didn't have a shot and didn't cross the ball.

I think the team also needs a strategy for free kicks because we rarely score from headers and so simply lumping it into the box is dumb.

Like I said I assume it's just because he wasn't fit but he didn't impress me yesterday especially given how much I'd seen him talked up. Didn't really do much and in a formation that has a defensive midfielder I wouldn't expect as much space between defence and midfield as we saw a few times last night, Vokes' long range shot being the most obvious example.

Ofcourse it could be just we didn't give a defensive midfielder much opportunity to shine.

Watched the match in the company of London Rams fans at the Stage Door pub near Waterloo. The consensus was that we looked impressive but no bite. Could have played for a week and not have scored. Martin was poor. Weimann peripheral. Last two seasons for most of the time we were scoring for fun but that seems to have changed now. Hopefully better to come. 

Watched the match in the company of London Rams fans at the Stage Door pub near Waterloo. The consensus was that we looked impressive but no bite. Could have played for a week and not have scored. Martin was poor. Weimann peripheral. Last two seasons for most of the time we were scoring for fun but that seems to have changed now. Hopefully better to come. 

Given the way the game worked out I’m very happy with the point.  My view of the game was that it was over as a contest after 20 odd minutes when Gray picked up his injury, once that happened our attacking gameplan went out the window and we adjusted our target to a draw.

It was as I said before, the game came around too early for us but we could have made a game of it with Gray putting in 90 minutes.  We could operate without a competitive midfield if our attack and defence are at 100% and we could probably operate without a competitive attack if our midfield and defence were at 100%.  Once Gray went off we were at 50% in attack and midfield.  Hennings was the wrong sub for us if we wanted to go for a win because he has no pace, Long would have been the better option there but I can see why Dyche didn’t take the risk.

At 100% we have one of the best Championship midfields (Arfield, Barton/Marney, Jones, Boyd) but the midfield last night is one of the weakest in the league if you want to keep possession (Arfield is a winger, I’d liken it to you playing Russell in a central midfield two).  Last night the purpose of the midfield was merely to shield the back four and get the ball forward to wingers/striker quickly, it was never going to compete like for like with your midfield 5.

I was impressed with the speed and movement you had in attack but what it missed was a cutting edge (maybe that would have come from Ince?).   For all your domination of midfield I only had my heart in my mouth once all game and felt that we came closer to a goal (though still not very close at all).  If I was a Derby fan I’d probably feel aggrieved to not have taken all 3 points from that but on balance and quality of chances a draw was probably the fair result.

It’d be interesting to hear which of our players impressed you (if any ;)) because it’s easy for established opinions to cloud your judgement of your own team.  On the Derby side Christie impressed me, if he adds a final ball to his game he’ll be class.  Johnson’s range of passing was outstanding, looked every bit the £6 million player on that front.  Keogh also impressed.  Your weak players for me were Forsyth, Thorne and Weimann.  For Weimann I barely remember him for anything other than the dive in the box, did he touch the ball other than that?  I’m guessing Thorne just wasn’t match fit but Forsyth didn’t contribute anything going forward (and defensively that’s our weakest side) and our best attacking opportunities were down his flank.

Finally, I was also convinced that Clement is some kind of magician because Shackell only did his Hollywood pass once all game… ONCE!  Bloke’s a genius :D

Weimann I really am struggling to see what he brings to the team. I cant believe Bent didn't get on the pitch last night, I still feel Clement was more than happy take the point instead of being brave and go for the win by making an attacking substitution, it was a game there to be won and every home game thus far has been the same. Hopefully Bryson will get fit soon so a midfield player may actually get in the box and make a run in behind martin

looking at all the teams who have won two games out of eight appear to be in bottom six ,my optimism of us going up the table rather than down with tactical decisions and present game plans is very sceptical,not convinced with PC at present and expect better performances better results ,more goals ,been 8 games in charge plus all closed season to get this right and personally not seeing any improvement of note 

Clements post match interview concerned me:-

Only one team turned up to win - but you didn't have the tactical savvy to break Burnley down 

We deserved more from the game with all our effort - the game was crying out for a moment of skill for all of the cash we have spent we are desperately short on quality which is a criminal waste of money

I'm not going to give my views on the football last night as they seem to contrast with most on here but I thought we played  well against a very well drilled Burnley defence. Also what a good spirit the game was played in with very little shirt-tugging, no bad tackles and no bookings. Amazing. 

What I did want to ask is whether the people saying there was no atmosphere were at the ground last night or watching on TV?  Because I thought that was the most we had got behind the team this year. Certainly felt like it to me in North Stand. Less groaning too and the slight booing at the end was aimed at the referee who spoke to their players three times about time wasting (wasting time himself) and then added zilch onto the added time for it. 

Looking forward to MK Dons after that performance - should be great! 

Archived