Newcastle United 2015-16 season

i-Ram

JFH would be stupid to leave burton for a team like Rotherham, the way it's looking burton and Rotherham could swap places next season, give it time and a top end championship, lower prem side will come calling

Agreed. It would be stupid to covet a job at a club at the foot of the league above if you are at a club near the top of the league you're in.

Who on earth would want to do a thing like that?

• Replies 775
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. It would be stupid to covet a job at a club at the foot of the league above if you are at a club near the top of the league you're in.

Who on earth would want to do a thing like that?

I don't believe McClaren ever would have considered the Newcastle job unless it was the only option open to him, which turned out to be the case after he was sacked in the summer. And I understand why he didn't play the media game and rule out Newcastle interest in the way some were clamouring for him to do while with us - whatever he said would never have been enough and inevitably led to the next media questions: "you've ruled Newcastle out, but what about Villa/Everton/etc?". Just look at the posts in this thread saying JFH hasn't ruled out leaving totally and is still open to offers.

I don't believe McClaren ever would have considered the Newcastle job unless it was the only option open to him, which turned out to be the case after he was sacked in the summer. And I understand why he didn't play the media game and rule out Newcastle interest in the way some were clamouring for him to do while with us - whatever he said would never have been enough and inevitably led to the next media questions: "you've ruled Newcastle out, but what about Villa/Everton/etc?". Just look at the posts in this thread saying JFH hasn't ruled out leaving totally and is still open to offers.

I guess we'll never know. It is interesting how polarising it's all been though. There are people who don't believe he'd have been here at the start of the season regardless of the board's actions, and there are people who don't believe he'd have ever left regardless of what Newcastle offered him. Ultimately it doesn't matter though, he's on a sinking ship coming into "easy games" where his future as a manager is on the line. 

Regardless of how it ended here, I still hope McClaren does well for himself, but I really can't see it being at Newcastle. 

It’s the support of others that helps you through the bad times…

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3261019/Alan-Shearer-zero-sympathy-Newcastle-manager-Steve-McClaren-fears-relegation-looming-former-club.html

Alan Shearer says he has no sympathy for Newcastle manager Steve McClaren and fears his former club will be relegated this season.

The Magpies are bottom of the Premier League and – along with North-East rivals Sunderland – are one of just two teams in the entire country yet to win a league game.

McClaren repeatedly talks of 'change' and 'process' and has asked for time to turn things around, but he is also frustrated with a lack of influence over transfers – the club refused to sign QPR striker Charlie Austin, for example.

'No, I don't have any sympathy for him, not really,' said Shearer when asked if he felt sorry for McClaren given the constraints within which a head coach operates at the club.

'I don't know if the transfer activity was different to what he expected, hoped, needed or wanted. 'But he knows what he is signing up for.'

Newcastle were smashed 6-1 at Manchester City on Saturday, meaning McClaren has now presided over the club's worst start in 119 years.

Only Newport County – bottom of League Two – have a worse goal difference in the top four divisions and Shearer believes Newcastle are in real danger of dropping to the Championship.

Archived