Wayne Rooney

Day

Rooney has scored more goals than any other England player, that makes him quantitatively the greatest goalscorer in the national side's history.  Surely that's cause for celebration rather than debate. If England win the Euro in France (yes that could actually happen) don't argue about it, just enjoy it.

Fixed

• Replies 377
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More goals? He already has the most for England. More important? Without his goals England would never have qualified for the last WC, these Euros and the Euros before. A goal scoring impact at a major tournament, fair enough.

Is it difficult to say as you just don't like him and you can't think of anything rational? :p

He does, but at a far slower rate than others I have mentioned. Even more goals can make up for this somewhat.

Without Rooney they wouldn't have qualified? That's a load of ******. England without Rooney should be easily qualifying for major tournaments and would.

Qualifying goals are obviously important but he hasn't done anything at a major tournament in 10 years. Lineker scored 10 goals in 12 world cup games. Points two and three were basically the same. Important goals more often that not equal tournament goals. 

Whether I like Rooney is neither here nor there. I, and others, and have plenty of rational reasons why he might not be the greatest goalscorer. Rooney's scored the most, so he must be the best, isn't rational.

name an English striker with more goals...as in a BETTER goal scorer.??

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you are being deliberately obtuse, having a joke at everyone else's expense.

Look up 'comparative' and 'superlative', then within those frames of reference, make up two sentences which both contain the word 'greatest' but which have subtly different meanings.

I know that you have been out of the country a long time and the nuances of the English Language may not be close to your heart any more but luckily for you, where you are heading shortly, you will need them less than you will need the letter 'u'.

;)

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that you are being deliberately obtuse, having a joke at everyone else's expense.

Look up 'comparative' and 'superlative', then within those frames of reference, make up two sentences which both contain the word 'greatest' but which have subtly different meanings.

I know that you have been out of the country a long time and the nuances of the English Language may not be close to your heart any more but luckily for you, where you are heading shortly, you will need them less than you will need the letter 'u'.

;)

how about you look up "greatest ever goalscorer in English history" go on google it, guess who it will say....

and do you know why it will say it..? Because he is.

some people, you included, just love to beat down anything good/positive that happens to the national team...it's so boring and so NOT a hipster thing to do anymore..

you keep on moaning about him and I will keep on smiling safe with the knowledge that in my life time I have seen the greatest ever English goal scorer that has ever lived....and to top it off, he did it against the Swiss.!

do you think that anyone in the world who does not support Derby County wou agree with that statement????

Since when did personal opinion come into it for you? Hector is English, and has scored more goals than Rooney. Surely he's a greater goalscorer than Rooney? FACT

The only 2 teams in the world I can't envisage him being an instant starter for is Bayern and maybe Barcelona. He obviously wouldn't get ahead of any of Barca's front 3 but you never know, we've all seen how capable he is playing in centre mid so he could potentially get in ahead of Rakitic or Iniesta. 

Real Madrid - He'd get in over Benzema up front

Man City - Silva would move out to the left and Rooney would replace Sterling

PSG - He'd fit in somewhere in their front 3, presumably along side Ibra and Cavani

Juventus - He'd easily get in their front 2

Chelsea - Ahead of Willian/Oscar

Arsenal - Ahead of Giroud

Atletico - I'm fairly certain Rooney would get started over Martinez and Griezmann

Yes. I don't think he's as good as Ribery, Robben, Neymar, Messi, Kroos blah blah blah but not everyone in these sides are better than Rooney.

I don't think Benzema is better than Rooney for a start.

Disagree. Benzema is a lot better and is underrated. His assists record is crazy for a striker and his play gets the best out of bale and ronaldo. Similarly to how Rooney was in 07/08 when he had to sacrifice himself to help ronaldo and tevez

I'm not sure how it can be argued that Rooney isn't England's greatest goal scorer...his 50 goals puts him higher that any other player to pull on the three lions shirt.

The only 2 teams in the world I can't envisage him being an instant starter for is Bayern and maybe Barcelona. He obviously wouldn't get ahead of any of Barca's front 3 but you never know, we've all seen how capable he is playing in centre mid so he could potentially get in ahead of Rakitic or Iniesta. 

Real Madrid - He'd get in over Benzema up front

Man City - Silva would move out to the left and Rooney would replace Sterling

PSG - He'd fit in somewhere in their front 3, presumably along side Ibra and Cavani

Juventus - He'd easily get in their front 2

Chelsea - Ahead of Willian/Oscar

Arsenal - Ahead of Giroud

Atletico - I'm fairly certain Rooney would get started over Martinez and Griezmann

He'd get into some of those teams but certainly wouldn't get into Barca or Real Madrid's team. Say that to a barca or real fan and they'd laugh at you for sure. I doubt ibra would move positions to accomodate rooney. No way he'd get into the atletico team ahead of griezmann or martinez, rooney doesn't score enough goals and isn't that fast. Out of those teams he probably would get into Arsenal's,Chelsea's,City's and Juventus' teams.

For me Gary Lineker,Michael Owen, Ian Wright, Alan Shearer and Robbie Fowler were better goalscorers, as in better finishers than Rooney

Makes you wonder why they aren't England's top goal scorer then?

Archived