Buxton v Shackell

Wisdom  v Christie

Thorne then v Thorne now

Hughes v Butterfield

Hendrick v Johnson

Russell then v Blackman

Martin then v Martin now

Ward then v Ince now

7-4 to the old boys. Even swapping Ince and possibly Thorne it's close to a draw.

Bit of a joke, really.

It's not as simple as that though, As I'd take Ince over Russell and Blackman over Ward... and Butterfield over Hendrick...

So depends who you are comparing who to who

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Grant v Carson

Forsyth v Warnock

Keogh then v Keogh now

Buxton v Shackell

Wisdom  v Christie

Thorne then v Thorne now

Hughes v Butterfield

Hendrick v Johnson

Russell then v Blackman

Martin then v Martin now

Ward then v Ince now

7-4 to the old boys. Even swapping Ince and possibly Thorne it's close to a draw.

Bit of a joke, really.

Ehhhhh. I disagree. First of all I don't think it's fair to count both Forsyth and Hughes as I'd challenge anyone to replace the two of them with players better than Butterfield/Warnock for realistic amounts of money and it's not like they've been dropped or it's been a managerial decision which is the implication of all of this.

Wisdom and Christie is imo debatable but I'll let you have that.

I'd say Hendrick for Johnson (who despite having a lot of poor games recently has had as many poor games as great games so far so I don't fancy counting him out, although I do really like Hendrick) is debatable as is Russell/Blackman (who we haven't see much of yet) and tbh Ward and Ince is just incorrect imo.  

Your Martin conclusion is fine.

4 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Don't be so feckin' picky, are you having a bad day? :-)

Not particularly, I just find pointless comparisons in a time when the negativity is at all time high since the end of last season to be unhelpful. 

It's all a bit moot anyway because we're talking about a team, a unit. The player comparisons were a bit pointless, I admit. But I do think it'd be difficult for anyone to argue that the unit that played on Friday is better than the unit that played in the Playoff Final.

I have high hopes for Blackman, Johnson and Butterfield to be better than their predecessors/competition but we're talking about snapshots in time here.

2 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not particularly, I just find pointless comparisons in a time when the negativity is at all time high since the end of last season to be unhelpful. 

I am so sorry for thinking that the rating of the team would be largely decided by how many points that they ended up with. Almost as daft as comparing players now with players from two years ago. Chill out my friend, it will all turn out well I am sure. 

Just now, bcnram said:

I am so sorry for thinking that the rating of the team would be largely decided by how many points that they ended up with. Almost as daft as comparing players now with players from two years ago. Chill out my friend, it will all turn out well I am sure. 

Well for me, the bottom of the scale for "turning out well" is never getting relegated from this league so I'm certainly hopeful.  

18 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

The 2013/14 side would hammer this lot. That team played with pace, cohesion and belief.

This team plays turgid, deep, slow-passsing nonsense at present.

Think you have to consider the league currently though. I'd say the top 6 (possibly 8 considering sheff Wednesday) are the strongest we've seen in many years, most of those teams would have won the league in previous years imo. New tactics have to be used to deal with that 

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has been quiet lately but here's a view from Boro's Aitor Karanka:

Karanka rates McCormack and, when asked if he thought the Scot was the most dangerous non-Boro striker in the Championship, answered: “Yes, I think so.

“I like McCormack and I like (Chris) Martin from Derby also. Apart from Jordan (Rhodes) and David (Nugent) - who are the best two - third and fourth can be Ross and Martin.”

On 28.2.2016 at 07:40, ritamony said:

Have the quality of a good player

We need the quality of a good player?  MoCormack is a good player?  We have a quality player?  Whatever you meant, here's your first like.

On ‎02‎/‎02‎/‎2016 at 11:07, RamLad1884 said:

Think you have to consider the league currently though. I'd say the top 6 (possibly 8 considering sheff Wednesday) are the strongest we've seen in many years, most of those teams would have won the league in previous years imo. New tactics have to be used to deal with that 

This is a good view on this season, its a shame others don't consider this when they think the team is failing in their eyes.

Archived