Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think PC is the wrong man for the job. We need someone with plenty of experience of the Championship who can motivate this squad, put fire in their bellies and get them believing this league is there for the taking. We don't seem to be getting any better either creatively or tactically and that's got to be down to Clement. That said it seems to me that we've tried to be a bit too 'Billy Big ********' with Directors of Recruitment buying expensive players and the Head Coach seemingly having little say in the matter - it all feels so disjointed and unbalanced with too many players not really producing what they are supposed to be capable of and seemingly not really getting to grips with Clements tactics/ideas. I don't think its panic stations yet but if we are bottom half by the end of October then a change will have to be made. 

It doesn't look good - Clement has a lot of people to prove his worth to now. If the form carries through after the international break them we can't be sitting and watching! At that point we'd have to get a new manager in with proper experience - the Mick McCarthy type.

I'd suggest that Clement is unfamiliar with the strengths and weaknesses of the teams in the Championship. He should study videos of the team up against whom Derby are coming next. He has a strong squad despite Will's six month lay-off and should know their abilities.

Nigel's square peg policy got him only so far, Steve Mac totally lost interest in the job, come on Paul, concentrate on how to beat each team we are due to play, using the hand you've been dealt!

The current crop of players are way above the level of squad we had under Clough and Mac.

The reason it went pear shaped last season was down to injuries...certainly nothing to do with toon a bit of a red herring MM?

Mac got sacked because diffo direction of owners - enter MM, had Mac sill been here this season and been given these new signings - I reckon we would not be sitting 3pts off the bottom!

The performances are the issue, as they have not been improving, in fact we are going backwards.

6 games played - 2 losses, 4 draws - currently 3pts off bottom.

Negative football from the off, what make one of the most attacking sides in recent years become so lacking going forward this season, especially when we have better strikers than last term, certainly something wrong in the dressing room.

Can Clements coach on his own at this level, it does not look like it, I bet that phone to Italy is red hot tonight!

Wonder how many thought the Derby manager wasn't up to the job on 23 September 1995 ??

To be completely honest, I was underwhelmed to say the very least was TBE was appointed. 

How wrong I was, the Igor Stimac signing was a master stroke as was the hard as nails Robin Van Der Laan signing.

The RVDL type us precisely what we need now.

PC has to be given time, I hope we don't become one of those clubs like Blackpool with a revolving door on the managers office 

Was one of the first guys on here who wanted him in here, and was very happy with his appointment. However, I don't think this formations and systems he plays suit our players whatsoever. 

I'd really like to see a positive attacking formation after the break. 

Yeah, and we need someone to replace hughes as Hendrick and Bryson can't do it alone.

there always seems to be the assumption in English football that if the manager is not jumping up and down shouting his head off, he doesn't know what he's doing. Isn't it more likely that the opposite is the case? 

He probably wasn't expecting fans to boo their own team at half time though. 

and the fans were not expecting the team to play negative. clueless football either, so no-ones happy

The current crop of players are way above the level of squad we had under Clough and Mac.

The reason it went pear shaped last season was down to injuries...certainly nothing to do with toon a bit of a red herring MM?

Mac got sacked because diffo direction of owners - enter MM, had Mac sill been here this season and been given these new signings - I reckon we would not be sitting 3pts off the bottom!

The performances are the issue, as they have not been improving, in fact we are going backwards.

6 games played - 2 losses, 4 draws - currently 3pts off bottom.

Negative football from the off, what make one of the most attacking sides in recent years become so lacking going forward this season, especially when we have better strikers than last term, certainly something wrong in the dressing room.

Can Clements coach on his own at this level, it does not look like it, I bet that phone to Italy is red hot tonight!

Mac had "lost" the squad though super rams. Some on here might not like to admit it, but he did.

Once he lost the squad, he had to go, it would have cost too much to get rid of the players needed to clear out the bad feeling.

Once he's got to go, they've got to find a replacement, no issue with that.

I don't think it's Clements "fault" at all and think if he's given time he might turn out to be ok, the difficulty is, he was brought into a club where promotion is expected, by the board, by the fans (and that old chestnut by the bookies). With our squad we were and are seen as having (one of?) the best in depth squad(s) in the division.

To appoint someone with no track record and expect them to walk into a massive club with massive expectations has turned the hire into a massive gamble.

When they fired Mac they've created a vacancy of  what should arguably have been the best job available in the championship. They could have had their pick of anyone and they've gone for someone who's never had to pick a side in his life in professional football.

Why do that? Why take that risk?

The last manager got a job in the premier league of the back of one good season and a disastrous collapse. ( I see his got them firmly routed in the bottom four by the way, as I'd suggested he would)

Even if (when?) Clement turns it around, if he is this bright young thing everybody is suggesting and he gets the club promoted, you can be fairly sure he'll get headhunted by a bigger club anyway, turning into at best a short term appointment and at worst a huge huge drop of a major testicle.

Look, any Derby manager is lucky, the good will fans intuitively feel to whoever it is, gives them a head start.

The signings, Shackell and last seasons loans aside are woeful, money literally flushed down the drain. This is the first time I have been on a managers back (traitors aside), Paul ain't up to it.

Who bets we go and pay over the odds now for a mediocre Championship midfielder?

Archived