Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it comes down to the simple fact we won't get going for a while, like Karanka at Boro as already pointed out. Did you notice that interviews the board and Clement said it isn't necessarily promotion this season? I think everyone needs to calm down and realise that a new manager, players and tactics aren't going to click overnight. We seen in spells that we can run rings around sides but we just aren't putting it together yet.

Brian Clough lost a lot of games early on, Alex Ferguson almost got sacked and Karanka at Boro was nothing special first season (granted didn't spend much). The cash has made people crazy, expecting instant success. Clement is here now and not going anywhere yet so stay positive for the players. It's obvious there are still some confidence issues around some of the players, don't make it worse.

I think it comes down to the simple fact we won't get going for a while, like Karanka at Boro as already pointed out. Did you notice that interviews the board and Clement said it isn't necessarily promotion this season? I think everyone needs to calm down and realise that a new manager, players and tactics aren't going to click overnight. We seen in spells that we can run rings around sides but we just aren't putting it together yet.

Brian Clough lost a lot of games early on, Alex Ferguson almost got sacked and Karanka at Boro was nothing special first season (granted didn't spend much). The cash has made people crazy, expecting instant success. Clement is here now and not going anywhere yet so stay positive for the players. It's obvious there are still some confidence issues around some of the players, don't make it worse.

Good post mate. 

Still want a couple of quality additions though to give us the Manager and the players a boost. 

Pearce and Wiemann but I wouldn't pick them to start either. 

what evidence he didn't pick those signings? He may have bought them as back ups. Not every signing will be signed to start - Pearce better the Whitbread who was released, Weimann to replace the departing Ward as back up to Russell

Realy worried at the way we play at home no pace no going forward always going back.

There's no plan A never mind plan B.

Is it too soon to say it was a mistake getting Paul clement in.

We all wanted permotion this season will we get it under him??? 

If we sack him who is there available to take his place?? 

Coyr

@Leeds Ram I hope you're going to give me the courtesy of an answer, you asked me a genuine question and I put a bit of effort into answering. I asked you a genuine question as well.

I have no issue with your loyalty to Nigel, your opinion on him and Derby is yours and can never be wrong imo, But I can't and never will understand your issue with posters who had views that were different to yours though, regardless of what relationship you had with him.  

I don't have any loyalties to any ex Derby player or manager, whilst they represent the club, I will always back them whilst I watch them. I don't care what they do off the pitch, just on it, and football to be is about the ambience and banter that comes with it as much as the 90 minutes entertainment.

I have no issue with your loyalty to Nigel, your opinion on him and Derby is yours and can never be wrong imo, But I can't and never will understand your issue with posters who had views that were different to yours though, regardless of what relationship you had with him.  

I don't have any loyalties to any ex Derby player or manager, whilst they represent the club, I will always back them whilst I watch them. I don't care what they do off the pitch, just on it, and football to be is about the ambience and banter that comes with it as much as the 90 minutes entertainment.

That's fair enough @Leeds Ram , all I'd ask is for the same courtesy in return.

If that's there then you won't ever see me having an issue.

Good post mate. 

Still want a couple of quality additions though to give us the Manager and the players a boost. 

Thanks, can't say I agree about the signings. Just brings more pressure and more time to gel. Quality loan for centre mid is all I want nothing else, get these players settled in now and make them understand how they are expected to perform.

I'm assuming Sam and Mel had a chat with Clement about this 'Derby way' we have read about. I'm not exactly sure what the Derby way is in all honesty, but I imagined it was a kind of controlled up and at 'em kind of football that was easy on the eye to supporters and challenging for the opposition to deal with.

This morning I'm wondering if Mel or Sam had a word with Clement to ask him what he didn't quite get during the conversation because if yesterday's first half performance is Clement's understanding of the Derby way I'm not optimistic for the rest of the season. 

I remember one of the commentary team saying Leeds looked like the home team during that first half, who was that down to? Was it Clement's instructions ? Was it down to the players not really up for it ? Another reason ? I really couldn't give a definite correct answer because I'm at a loss to explain it. All I know is I was saddened by the lack of desire end effort for the first 45 minutes.

If, as you surely must, class anything other than finishing in the top 6 a failure, then clement will be the catalyst for that failure, in my opinion. 

You'll not make a decent manager out of him in century's worth of seasons. We've become pedestrian, predictable and just plain average. The balance of the squad is hideous and its compounded by the manager not having a clue what his best system is. 

In my opinion something is not right, no one can doubt the players we have are more than capable of achieving,   its getting them to achieve that seems to be the problem. in spells ( not many) the team looks unbeatable ( first 10 mins of 2nd half yesterday) for example, however 10 mins here and there are not good enough, we need to do that from the start.getting the team to do that may need someone with experience, as we seem to be starting off where we finished last season and on those statistics we will be nearer the bottom than top of the league. 

If, as you surely must, class anything other than finishing in the top 6 a failure, then clement will be the catalyst for that failure, in my opinion. 

You'll not make a decent manager out of him in century's worth of seasons. We've become pedestrian, predictable and just plain average. The balance of the squad is hideous and its compounded by the manager not having a clue what his best system is. 

on waht evidence are you saying we wont finish top 6? 5 games isnt enough time to trust the league table, but its enough to judge every other teams realtive ability and state we are doomed?

Had we been top 6 now there'd be some saying its too early to judge and to say we are going to win the league.

Not true, he went on record in July stating the promotion is his goal this season - it is somewhere on here in a thread

As I said yesterday people have become spoiled. Yes we didn't play well in the first half. But we were not awful. At no point in the game were Leeds unplayable. Yet for a spell in the second half we were and were incredibly unlucky not to get a second. Leeds had to my memory 3 decent attempts. 2 of them went in. If our finishing was more consistent like that, we would be scoring 3 goals every game. We are far more of a solid side than we have been in a long time. The heart of our side has been rocked. The injuries we have suffered plus Thorne having come from near enough a year out is significant. No side in the league would have handled a situation like that as well as we have. 

Do we need some massive overhaul or change of formation....NO. We simply need to get at teams from the get go, be more direct, have more attempts and convert more. We have showed in more than one game that we are capable of doing these things. 

Archived