Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

Has La Liga and Ligue 1 prepared him adequately to the championship?

the clubs he has worked at have had talent far superior than the others in the leagues who are capable of almost single handedly winning games.

I'd argue that in the Championship getting your tactics right is far more important as the teams are more evenly matched, minute margins make all the difference when you haven't got a Ronaldo capable of beating five players and sticking one in the top corner from 30 yards!

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't say that I'm utterly convinced with clement s tactics or decision making so far but it's very early days ! If we're still in the same situation  come Xmas then yeah fair enough I'll probably be calling for his head too ! I really don't think pc knows his strongest team yet ! 

I don't think it's fair to criticise those questioning Clement at the moment, as long as it's done with a sensible head and not just blind Radio Derby call in style stupidity. I'm a bit nervous about things and it goes back to the observations I made during Grimsby and Northampton in pre-season - that we're playing at too slow a tempo and trying to be too continental with (albeit good) Championship players.

Games in this league need to be taken by the scruff of the neck. You have to press and move quickly in the Championship. Even the shittiest teams can grab surprise results by employing a bit of bravery and pace. I hope Clement realises this soon because I'd like him to succeed, not just for our sake but because I think he will make a good manager one day.

I don't necessarily think he's bitten off more than he can chew. I just think he's still adapting to what the Championship is all about. We do need to see changes coming soon though because the longer it goes like this, the harder it is to get out of that hole.

Seriously frigging frustrating at the moment though.

My take for what it's worth is that there's no doubting Clement's credentials as a coach, , however his methods are more suited to the European game rather than the rigours of the Championship. 

So far he's been unlucky with injuries and there may be more bad news with Thorne. Appointing Baird as captain was an error as I see him as a squad player rather than first name om team sheet and imo that was a massive mistake. The other mistake was appointing Peacock as number two.No doubting his credentials as a coach, however his expertise lays in coaching youths so Clement should have gone for someone who's been there, seen it, done it and got the t-shirt at Championship level. 

In short the guy is never going to be lucky, the deflected goals, hitting the woodwork against Birmingham numerous times, the injuries, the penalty claims turned down etc etc and the appointment despite best intentions was a mistake. Hope I'm wrong as I'm Derby through and through but this will end in tears.

For what it's worth we need to rip the recruitment team up and start again . Chris Evans couldn't run a bath.

Let's sack him after 5 games

In an ideal world,he'd have won 5 out of 5,but let's not panic

No, in an ideal world we would have at least won 1 and have performances to sure things are improving -but they are not.

How many people on here thought in pre season that we go into September without a win?

The winless 5 games is an issue, but for me the constant poor performances are a bigger one, there has been no improvement and watching us perform, I cannot see where the win will come from?

We lack ideas, play too negative and to be far with the exception of Boro we have played mid table teams at best this season.

Taking on Clements was always going to be a gamble as he has never ever been at a coach before.  And it is begining to show!

Doudt his credentials, what credentials might they be?

Charlton was an improvement on Bilton and Pompey

Boro was hard to judge because it was against a good opponent that will probably finish top 2

Birmingham was was arguably better than Boro after the opening 10 minutes. We created more open chances than in any game up to this point against a team unbeaten at home in ages.

But apart from that we haven't improved game on game...

We've had a bad start. Performances have been inconsistent and our finishing has been abysmal. 

Walk the dog or something.

The trouble is.........................we've been spoilt!

Whatever people's thoughts are on McClaren he gave us entertainment and a winning mentality not seen at Derby since probably the Jim Smith era.  His 54% win ratio betters Clough, Cox, Smith, Mackay, Davies and puts the reigns of Jewell, Brown, Burley and Gregory into stark perspective and I for one was disappointed at his sacking.

With Clement we knew what we were getting, his first experience of managing a club, his first experience of a highly competitive championship, and now no doubt after no wins in six matches his first experience of a Radio Derby "sack the prat" phone in! 

The tag of "coach at Real Madrid" fed the frenzy that promotion was a possibility and anything outside the top six would be seen as failure! 

Could his appointment go pear shaped, yep, could we be in the bottom three during September, yep, could there be some cut price season tickets up for grabs, yep, will I be joining the "sack the prat" brigade, nope!

Lower your expectations....................we've been spoilt!

People were moaning under McClaren too.

No plan B, can't defend, keeps playing the same system, Dyche would have got us promoted.

Derby just think they deserve better all the time. Like Leeds fans. 

Made me laugh when Derby fans were taking the piss out of Newcastle fans expectations. Irony at its best. 

"Who do they think they are"

"Champions League in 2 years or he's sacked"

Yeah, not laid back like Derby fans are they

My point of view is that Clement should never of been appointed in the first place....I just couldn't understand it at the time & still can't...but hey its Mel whose calling the shots....similarly I could never understand our summer signings attracting such a wave of optimism from so many forum users.....For me we should of been targeting good quality championship players, ones who would of jumped at the chance to step up to a club like Derby....Brentford certainly had a few candidates.

Anyway back to Clement....I really hope he turns things around so that I can see just why so many on here rated him so highly....do I believe he will, based on what I have seen so far....no not a chance... I see it going the same way as the fish... those decrying him early on being shouted down,for having no patience, then each week more peoples patience running out as they realise we've signed a dud...

Still hopefully I'll be one of the ones eating spades of humble pie over the next few months... as Clement proves he's a football genius...& my beloved Rams soar up the table...if I am, it'll taste delicious...

Hang on minute, what about Aitor Karanka at Boro? Wasn't he a coach at Real Madrid and also had not managed before? He's doing alright with them now after a slow start. 

I think Clement will need a season just to get himself and his ideas bedded in. 

Mind you, I don't know whether Boro have a director of football (aka Chris Evans), or whether Karanka's choosing their signings, but whoever it is they're doing a bloody good job.

We were so much better under Mac, granted it went tits up from March, but that was down to injuries, one after another, and by May confidence was shot......

The defence has been improved simply with the new signings, but the attacking aspect of our game has gone backwards, we are so negative at the start of each game. It is the performances that are so poor, and constantly so  - 6 games in 2 defeats no wins and knocked out of the LC by a division 2 second team!

Brian Kidd was a great No2 but a complete disaster as a No1 and Clements is heading that way.

What give him a season you say the way things are at the moment come the end of the Preston game we could be bottom 3!

Normally when a new coach comes in there is an automatic high in the team and if decent, build on the performences, you can usually see the continual improvement, that is not the case with our performances!

Its too early you say, but after 6 games in we should see an improvement, any improvement would be good.

The current squad is so much better than we had under Mac, would we be in this position with Mac still in charge? I doubt it!How long do you give Clements to see if he is up for the job..........

Archived