Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

It's not misleading. That is his record in his final 16 games with us. Which forms part of the reason he was sacked. PC should be given the opportunity by the naysayers to at least play 16 league games and compare with that record. Despite how some of us think we are capable of automatic promotion, the play off route is easily attainable. PC will only have to do slightly better than that form for the entire season to make the play offs. 

Honestly I don't quite know what your issue is. That I want to give PC a third of the season before people form opinions or that I highlighted SM record in the final third of last season. 

The issue is that MacClaren had a VERY SUCCESSFUL 18 months before the decline at the end of last season - that should be part of judgement as to whether it was right to sack him. Clement has only just arrived and so the criteria must be different. Very simple really, shouldn't be hard to grasp unless of course you have an agenda against MacClaren.

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Well done boys. You tried really hard. Good effort Granty, you'll catch it next time! Hard luck there Pearcey, you almost had him! Cracking passing Bairdy! Some of them nearly went to our team!"

Ecouragement! Whoop!

It's Clement's job to give them criticism, which they will have had.

TobyWanKenobi

It's Clement's job to give them criticism, which they will have had.

and I eagerly await the Charlton game to hopefully se that it has made a positive impact.

As a new poster (this is my first, although I'm an avid reader) I enjoy reading the contrasting views. In some cases extreme views about players, manager, tactics, etc. Surely, that's what makes football what it is. We are all a little shell shocked after our summer spending, because we thought it would translate into an immediate run of results leading to the prem. 10 million on paper is enough to lever the club out of the division. However, other clubs are spending too, so the division has become much tighter. We must judge clement at Christmas, when he's had more time to work with the players and systems. To judge him after 2 games is ludicrous. 

Welcome and I can agree with most of that but we should not have been expecting an immediate return. Of course it could still happen but I said many times that expectations needed to be kept in check.

The issue is that MacClaren had a VERY SUCCESSFUL 18 months before the decline at the end of last season - that should be part of judgement as to whether it was right to sack him. Clement has only just arrived and so the criteria must be different. Very simple really, shouldn't be hard to grasp unless of course you have an agenda against MacClaren.

You just seem angry. I don't deny he didn't. My point has been simple and clear. People can't really form an opinion of PC until about a third of the way through the season. Got to give him the chance. Some people, no doubt yourself don't think SM last 16 games were worthy on their own of him being sacked. I would personally say it is a grey area. But if people were willing to stick by that record for a third of a season then those already looking concerned with PC, should give him 16 games and compare it to his predecessor. In my view his record will be better and he and the club can push on from there. Because when SM began, no one demanded that we make the play offs in his first season. 

Why ask questions now if we need to give him another couple of months before forming an opinion?

Wouldn't that make the answers now knee jerk due to the severe emotional distress caused by our Capital One Cup exit?

Asking questions doesn't mean you've formed your opinion

The criticism of Clement after one league game & one cup game is ridiculous. Every new manager/coach has new ideas and players will require playing time to adjust and not all players will be able to or are reluctant to do so.

As a number of already mentioned, several other managers started very slowly and at the end of the season Derby were promoted. Remember, under Nigel Clough, we once began with 4 straight league wins and ended up mid-table !!

Clement has now only got league games to concentrate on and he must pick, in his opinion, his best eleven and barring injury or suspension, he must stick with it, especially the defence and midfield.

Every team we come up against this season will be "up for it" and see Derby as buying their way out of the Championship - remember we have had the same attitude against QPR, and will be in our faces. Wait until we meet Forest and see what I mean on that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Have things really improved?

5 games in now and still no win, the performances are poor which is the real issue!

The performances are fine. If Hendrick had buried that sitter instead of Wood scoring that wonderstrike we'd have been hailing Clement right now. We're performing fine, but things will take time with all the change in the off season. You'd have hoped for a better start, but this reaction so early is silly. 

Feel Clement has been dealt a bad hand, both with injuries and poor signings. He clearly has talent as a coach, and he is not to blame at all for that first-half showing. That was all the players' own doing.

But, there are weaknesses too. The substitutions were poor, and leaving out Dawkins is criminal.

Feel Clement has been dealt a bad hand, both with injuries and poor signings. He clearly has talent as a coach, and he is not to blame at all for that first-half showing. That was all the players' own doing.

But, there are weaknesses too. The substitutions were poor, and leaving out Dawkins is criminal.

I'm looking through your posts now to find one in which you don't criticise the signing of Bent or arent critical of Clement not giving Dawkins enough game time, still looking 

I don't think Clement's ability is in question, what I do wonder though is if the players believe in him or his methods.

That might seem odd to some because there have been glimpses of our old selves but I can't explain how a Derby team at home to Leeds would perform so ineptly in that first half as ours did today. I don't think the word disgrace is an exaggeration, where was the urgency or dare I say pride ?

Some players don't look like they are enjoying themselves to me so I wonder if all is well at the training ground.

Too early to say. This home defeat to Leeds is not going to help his cause one bit. Part of the problem is he has had wrotten luck with injuries. He is also lumbered with player signings he doesn't choose. We are heading for midtable at best at this rate. Every manager will make decisions which some fans don't like. He is a total novice as a head coach. He needs some luck and maybe a couple of overpriced signings to join and help drag us to a win somewhere and attempt to get our season going. 

Archived