Is clement up to the job

harwich ram

• Replies 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think Clement's ability is in question, what I do wonder though is if the players believe in him or his methods.

That might seem odd to some because there have been glimpses of our old selves but I can't explain how a Derby team at home to Leeds would perform so ineptly in that first half as ours did today. I don't think the word disgrace is an exaggeration, where was the urgency or dare I say pride ?

Some players don't look like they are enjoying themselves to me so I wonder if all is well at the training ground.

We were hearing I think positive noises from some of the players about the pre season training regime in terms of the early stages at which they worked with the ball as opposed to pure physical conditioning. 

I wonder whether that is part of the issue. The Championship is a gruelling physical league. Is it possible that PC hasnot implemented the best regime by neglecting the physical conditioning in desiring to focus on ball skills? 

Many observers are suggesting we have a number of players struggling to last the 90 mins?

Just a thought. 

On what basis is Clement the next Jim Smith? None. 

That wasn't the point, it was more around judging a manager only 6 games into his managerial career.

jesus. I have a deal of respect for you mate but I would rather saw my knackers off with a rusty bread knife than see Pearson in charge of my beloved team.

this stance intrigues me. 

What is your basis for this? Solid no-nonsense manager, plays a mixture of effective and attacking football.

Personally, it's too soon to throw the towel in on Clement... but cannot in my mind justify ruling out such good managers.

What is your basis for this? Solid no-nonsense manager, plays a mixture of effective and attacking football.

Personally, it's too soon to throw the towel in on Clement... but cannot in my mind justify ruling out such good managers.

purely a visceral dislike. Pearson himself had some false starts before he actually delivered with Leicester. I don't regard him as being within the pantheon of managers I regard as "good".

It's a personal view - nothing more. Others are allowed to differ. 

Jim Smith was about 30 years into his career by then! lol

True, and a lot of fans looked at that and decided he wasn't good enough for that reason.

The same is happening with clement, who despite not being able to play a full game without his first or even second choice midfield, is now not ready for a club the size of Derby as his first job. I swear some people want to see him fail, just so they can say I told you so, he was the wrong appointment...we didn't sign the right players....the CEO has a goatee blah blah blah

Everyone has an opinion on who to play and what formation, and it's always the right one when we lose, I wouldn't have played Hanson, and even though clement has achieved more in football than anyone else on here, we always know better, but Imo he needs a slice of luck to go his way and we will be back on track.

Not for the first time under Clement we have been too slow, leaving our striker isolated and generally lacking any form of creativity.  I'm a little underwhelmed so far but I've still got faith in him. 

In my book, faith has to be earned and as yet, I've not seen enough to tell me to have faith in him.  Equally, it's too early to form a view that he hasn't got what it takes. I'll give him 12 games before I press the panic button - and I suspect the management will rightly give him a fair bit more than that!  They did their due diligence on him before making the call and them I do have faith in. 

True, and a lot of fans looked at that and decided he wasn't good enough for that reason.

The same is happening with clement, who despite not being able to play a full game without his first or even second choice midfield, is now not ready for a club the size of Derby as his first job. I swear some people want to see him fail, just so they can say I told you so, he was the wrong appointment...we didn't sign the right players....the CEO has a goatee blah blah blah

Everyone has an opinion on who to play and what formation, and it's always the right one when we lose, I wouldn't have played Hanson, and even though clement has achieved more in football than anyone else on here, we always know better, but Imo he needs a slice of luck to go his way and we will be back on track.

The difference is LR, those "some people" aren't judging his personality only his results and what they've seen on the pitch so far.

Those "some people" will also change their opinion on him if and when he gets results.Those "some people" haven't developed a totally negative bias towards him that won't change no matter what he does.

We still haven't scored more than one goal in a match and he still has a zero % win rate, I don't know why you're surprised that "some people" have doubts.

"Some people" had to listen to other people's doubts about other manager for a long time and now for "some people" the gloves are off.

"some people" asked for patience and lack of nastiness for a long time, other people ignored that. "Some people" now don't give a flying fig what other people think. "Some people" won't call for him to be sacked and won't criticise him as a person but "some people" reserve the right to express their doubts.

The rhetoric when he was hired was all wrong, no one said anything about going backwards to go forwards, all the talk was of progression and hiring the best head coach available, recruiting the best players avaiable and giving him and them the best tools available to do his and their jobs better.

"Some peoples" expectations were set very high, maybe falsely high but there was a reason for that.

We've spent an absolute fortune to take the club to the next level and early days or not early days we've actually gone backwards very quickly and "some people" weren't prepared for that at all.

Oh and by the way "some people" don't trust people with goatees and shifty eyes, whether they're CEO's or not  ;-)

securing Clement was widely regarded in the media as a coup. 

We have made him reportedly the highest paid manager /coach in the Championship. 

All that shrieks pedigree and confidence. 

So - he was out of work when we got him. Were we up against significant competition?  Is PC the steal that we thought or have we massively over excited ourselves about some Italian blokes sidekick? 

securing Clement was widely regarded in the media as a coup. 

We have made him reportedly the highest paid manager /coach in the Championship. 

All that shrieks pedigree and confidence. 

So - he was out of work when we got him. Were we up against significant competition?  Is PC the steal that we thought or have we massively over excited ourselves about some Italian blokes sidekick? 

Time - and a lot more of it than we've had so far - will tell.  Patience is a virtue; ask Alex Ferguson.

Archived