Bolton Wanderers v Derby County

i-Ram

According to ian holloway we are going to lose 2-0:lol: Don't you love it when people make predictions without having a clue

oh wait i know why, it's because sky love the Neil Lennon's backside

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/32817/9938180/ian-holloways-predictions-qpr-to-win-leeds-and-middlesbrough-to-lose

I have nothing against Holloway's prediction, but it's the thought-process behind it which is largely debatable.

The problem with Sky Sports 'experts' and 'analysts' is that they know of the clubs, perhaps more than fans in general, but they don't know the inside-outs of clubs as much as its supporters.

I'm sure Holloway knows more about Preston than I do, for instance, but I reckon I know more about Derby than he does. Hence his opinion is merely a 'knowledgable' opinion coming from the outside. He look at it as face-value.

He would have seen Derby play only a few times last season. 

Reading through, a lot ofhis opinion is just based on 'knowing' X manager, rather than how the team is shaped up, style of football and other important factors.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get this Neil Lennon love in, either. I really don't. 

I thought he had been figured out last season when he made some absolutely mental signings and barely improved their side despite a fairly above average honeymoon period. 

We actually accumulated more points over the last 10 games than they did. Therefore, I just can't understand where he is coming from. 

It's on the back of Ray Parlour suggesting we could be promotion favourites based on our excellent finish to last season - and no, he wasn't joking either!!! 

I think he (Holloway) perhaps had us and Boro to lose their openers to go against the grain and put a few people's backs up. It ties in with his whole 'controversial' persona which Sky will no doubt want him to play up to/on.

As for Lennon, he is absolutely bang average. The media need a story (line) though and as a former player with a bit of a personality/profile he fits the bill and so must be built up despite all mounting evidence to the contrary.

As for the other managers, according to virtually all of them (the top Prem guys aside) it doesn't seem to matter how poor a job another manager is doing/has done, they will always be "a fantastic/top/quality manager" doing "a great job under difficult circumstances" and they "just need to find the right club".They will alway back their own. 

I wrote a quick piece on what system and personel Paul Clement should use for the trip to Bolton. I couldn't go into great detail because of time constraints, and I wanted to keep it as short and sweet as possible.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/08/06/graphic-why-paul-clement-should-select-this-derby-county-xi-vers/

I'm sure PC will take note of your advice.

Unless of course he's too busy preparing a football club for a promotion challenge using the knowledge he's built up at his previous jobs in professional football.

I'm sure PC will take note of your advice.

Unless of course he's too busy preparing a football club for a promotion challenge using the knowledge he's built up at his previous jobs in professional football.

I wasn't expecting Paul Clement to read it... 

I'd say Clement probably has a decent idea of his XI, Baird is the only player we can genuinely be certain of. You can expect Ince, Thorne, Shackell etc. for obvious reasons but you can't be certain.

There is a minor case for not starting with Thorne tomorrow. It will probably be a physical battle in the first half. A reasonable tactic against Derby early on is to try to bully us off the ball,. however some of the guys that we have signed look very capable of being too strong to bully, Pearce and Shackell plus Bent are no pushover.We may need someone to look out for Hughes as he could be a target.

There is a minor case for not starting with Thorne tomorrow. It will probably be a physical battle in the first half. A reasonable tactic against Derby early on is to try to bully us off the ball,. however some of the guys that we have signed look very capable of being too strong to bully, Pearce and Shackell plus Bent are no pushover.We may need someone to look out for Hughes as he could be a target.

New slim Martin is no pushover either. Utrecht players were running into rubber walls trying to force him off the ball.

Grant

Baird Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Thorne

Hendrick Hughes

Ince

Weimann/Russell Martin

I can't see the team being anything past that. I think Clement will sick with the original number one, and won't take the captaincy and then also drop Keogh. I can't decide on  Weimann and Russell. Both have had excellent pre seasons, but you can't leave Chrissy out? 

I don't understand all the love for Neil Lennon. He was linked for the Leicester job what baffled me, he did alright managing the dominant team in a crap league and then he hardly has done great at Bolton, just carried on where Dougie left off. 

Ex-Leicester, did well in the cup, kept Bolton up (somehow).

3 reasons right there - not saying they are good ones, but the ones the media use.

Archived