Bolton Wanderers v Derby County

i-Ram

Looks a little too white for me that team i-Ram  :whistle:

My heart wanted Dawkins rather than Hendrick, but my brain said Dawks hadn't played enough for PC yet, and Bolton might need a bit more "up an at 'em" approach.  Accordingly Incey will have to create a bit of extra black magic come Saturday, and as the game gets stretched Darren can come on and poach us the goal that gives us a well deserved, but hard fought, 3-1 victory.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting comment from Paul Clement in the Ramsplayer suggesting that when a player has had a hard match, just bring another one in. His rotation plan seems to be in part aimed at not playing tired players and keeping them all fit.If it works it could be a work of genius.

Interesting comment from Paul Clement in the Ramsplayer suggesting that when a player has had a hard match, just bring another one in. His rotation plan seems to be in part aimed at not playing tired players and keeping them all fit.If it works it could be a work of genius.

Ooooooh, Craig Ramage won't like that! Because as his expert analysis reveals, the most important thing is "that settled side". 

Rafa Benitez is probably the best known rotating manager. Was slated for it at Liverpool, pretty sure they won the CL the season it was getting the most media attention, but it was also used as reasoning behind his and Liverpools decline in his latter years there. I don't think it was, personally.

Rafa Benitez is probably the best known rotating manager. Was slated for it at Liverpool, pretty sure they won the CL the season it was getting the most media attention, but it was also used as reasoning behind his and Liverpools decline in his latter years there. I don't think it was, personally.

There's a difference between rotating because players are tired and rotating for the sheer fun of it, as Benitez was fond of doing, and McClaren too for that matter.

Hopefully with PC it will be the former.

Clement has got a few choices to make for this.

I think most of the team is picked but there are a few places where im not sure. Carson/Grant, Forsyth/Warnock, Hendrick/Bryson, Weimann/Russell.

I am leaning towards us playing the 442 diamond here. For that my side would be:-

Carson, Baird, Pearce, Shackell, Warnock, Thorne, Hughes, Bryson, Ince, Weimann, Martin

Subs:- Grant, Keogh, Ssewankambo, Hendrick, Russell, Bent, Dawkins

If we play a 4-2-3-1 I would line up like this:-

Carson, Baird, Shackell, Pearce, Warnock, Thorne, Hughes, Ince, Weimann, Russell, Martin

The other option for that is to play Ssewankambo at right back, put Baird holding mid and then Hughes would be in there over Russell. I actually think Ssewankambo is our 2nd choice right back at the minute based on pre season.

I think Christie's days are numbered.

I fancy us big time for that. I just think we should have far too much for Bolton.

Bolton 0-3 Derby

My team...

Dunno

Dunno, Dunno, Shackell, Dunno,

Thorne, Dunno,

Dunno,        Dunno,         Ince,

Dunno

Clear as day.   

Based on the minutes on the pitch in pre-season (see Rams Talk) I'm going to say:

Carson (but this really is 50/50)

Baird     Keogh    Pearce (as Shackell's not got the fitness yet)   Forsyth

Thorne

Hendrick   Hughes

Weimann     Bent      Ince

Subs: Grant, Russell (very unlucky), Martin (not quite fit), Dawkins (not been involved enough), Shackell (not quite fit), Warnock (more senior than Christie and Ssewankambo), Shotton

Most likely subs would be Russell, Martin and Dawkins.

This means no place for Christie, Bryson (injury makes this a reasonable choice), Ssewankambo, Hanson. If Bryson is over his injury I'd expect him to start in midweek (along with Shackell and Martin) as we build fitness up.

I'll miss the match, flying between DC and Seattle, so will only find out the score when reaching my hotel. It'll be straight to Ramsplayer. Eek!

Grant

Baird       Keogh            Shackell     Warnock

Thorne

Hendrick           Hughes

Ince

Martin              Weimann

This is what I expect, I'd personally prefer forsyth to warnock and then I'd be completely happy. But first game of the season anyone can make their place their own.

I think anyone who regularly watches the Rams could vouch for that! 

Interestingly though before one of the games on sky last season russell and hendrick were interviewed and asked who the most skilful player was in Derbys squad and they both said without hesitation Dawkins. But maybe skilful and technical mean different things to different people. Martin certainly is up there as one of, if not Derbys most effective player though I agree.

Archived