Bolton Wanderers v Derby County

i-Ram

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he will start Shackell, but I get your point. Otherwise Bris's team.

I'd play a whole different XI at Fratton Park and still expect to win.

Carson

Baird, Keogh, Shackell, Forsyth

Thorne, Hughes

Russell, Ince, Weimann

Martin

Subs: Grant, Christie, Pearce, Bryson, Hendrick, Dawkins, Bent

Not even in squad: Mitchell, Ssewankambo, Buxton, Shotton, Warnock, Hanson

Has Ince done enough in pre-season for a starting berth? What about Bent? What about Martin for that matter? The easy decisions are not to involve Bucko or Bryson as we're spoilt for choice anyway. Then it gets tough. Has Grant shown enough to demonstrate last season's collapse in his own form is behind him?

I reckon the defence will be:

Carson

Baird  Keogh Shackell Warnock (harsh on Fozzie)

I think Clement will want to play Thorne, Hughes and Hendrick, so it's either 4-3-3 or our diamond 4-4-2.

That means picking 3 from Martin, Bent, Weimann, Ince, Russell, Dawkins. Whichever of those 3 are benched they'll be desperate to make an impact. I hope everyone appreciates it's a squad game and every second you're on the pitch you've got to make it count.

is that making a case for not starting martin ?  reasons please 

A good start to the season is vital. A few wins, hopefully a couple of big ones, ride high, pressure off (for now) 

So many options elsewhere, but I think most are in agreement with our best back five at the minute. 

Thats why I think he might start Shackell. He might have been doing plenty of work behind the scenes to bring his fitness up, and if he's our stand out defender in training this week, I think Clement will struggle to leave him out. 

As for formation, not a clue. Imagine what our opponents are gonna be thinking! 

It does seem a shame for Johnny but I still can't see him starting on Saturday, whatever formation that PC opts for. 

The decisions for him appear to be Grant or Carson, whether to throw Shackell in right away and whether Hendrick is his third pick midfielder, and does Chrissy Martin suit the way he might want to hit Bolton (counter attack). I think the eleven will be:-

Carson

Baird, Shackell, Pearce, Warnock

Hendrick, Thorne, Hughes

Weimann, Martin, Ince

I think he'll go for the experienced defence. A clean sheet to start the season would do so much for confidence around the club.

Baird, Shackell, Keogh, Warnock

Thorne, Hendrick, Hughes

Weimann, Martin, Ince

However could change 2-3 of those players and I'd still be happy.

Saturday can't come soon enough!

I don't see how Clement can leave out Ince, Weimann or Russell, I also can't see a returning from injury Shackell walking into the side having barely any pre season behind him. Think we will see them both in the U21's for a game or two before starting.

Expecting to see us go with Grant, Warnock, Pearce, Keogh, Baird (C) Hughes, Thorne, Russell, Ince, Weimann, Martin

Carson, Forsyth, Sswankambo, Shackell, Hendrick, Dawkins, Bent on the bench

Bolton are going through somewhat of an injury crisis before a ball has even been kicked in the league, I think they've only got one first team CB that isn't injured. 

I have a Bolton friend, asked him about this game.

You are correct, they have injuries, although they're only really concerned about one or two being potential starters. However, that does include their "star signing" Derik from Madrid who's turned his ankle or something like that.

My mate said the Bolton team we're playing against is probably going to be weaker in 3-4 positions than the team we played last season. 

However Lennon is trying to get Brandon Barker from Man City on loan in time to play against us, as well as one other. Also, Zach Clough is a bit of an anomaly that can't be ignored, inconsistent (in terms of which games he turns up and which games he doesn't) but he can certainly have an effect on proceedings.

My Mates a very cynical fan, and he reckons we're going to put 4 past them. 

Hi all. First post noob. Been lurking far too long. Can't wait for the season to start. The fact we have so many different views about the starting 11 says it all. In a good way. If everyone had the same starting 11 I'd be worried as that'd mean limited options. That said I'm still ever so slightly worried about our defence but fingers crossed I'm worrying about nothing. 

I don't see how Clement can leave out Ince, Weimann or Russell, I also can't see a returning from injury Shackell walking into the side having barely any pre season behind him. Think we will see them both in the U21's for a game or two before starting.

Expecting to see us go with Grant, Warnock, Pearce, Keogh, Baird (C) Hughes, Thorne, Russell, Ince, Weimann, Martin

Carson, Forsyth, Sswankambo, Shackell, Hendrick, Dawkins, Bent on the bench

Cant really have Shackell as the only CB on the bench if he's not match fit then. 

It does seem a shame for Johnny but I still can't see him starting on Saturday, whatever formation that PC opts for. 

The decisions for him appear to be Grant or Carson, whether to throw Shackell in right away and whether Hendrick is his third pick midfielder, and does Chrissy Martin suit the way he might want to hit Bolton (counter attack). I think the eleven will be:-

Carson

Baird, Shackell, Pearce, Warnock

Hendrick, Thorne, Hughes

Weimann, Martin, Ince

Looks a little too white for me that team i-Ram  :whistle:

Archived