James McClean - More Controversy

Scott129

But why? Do you think he's at home sniggering at all the nasty comments he's getting?

I don't think anyone would be happier than McClean if his actions were completely ignored. Knowing people will be worked up by something isn't a good enough reason to avoid doing the right thing.

I suspect that due to the lack of an 'idiot filter' he is absolutely enjoying the attention.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suspect that due to the lack of an 'idiot filter' he is absolutely enjoying the attention.

Just a thought.... What if he was English and he had done the same thing to the Irish national anthem because he disagreed with IRA troubles or a united Ireland? Would you call him an idiot then?

he is now open for abuse that the team could do without, the opposing fans will be winding him up en masse, the amount of footballers that don't believe in the queen as head of state would be pretty high I would imagine but to make a blatant statement like that is wrong, the player is representing a team that pays his wages !!

he is now open for abuse that the team could do without, the opposing fans will be winding him up en masse, the amount of footballers that don't believe in the queen as head of state would be pretty high I would imagine but to make a blatant statement like that is wrong, the player is representing a team that pays his wages !!

West Brom would fully have known his views when he signed him. Naive to think they hadn't...  

Just a thought.... What if he was English and he had done the same thing to the Irish national anthem because he disagreed with IRA troubles or a united Ireland? Would you call him an idiot then?

Unionists in Northern Ireland symbolically burn flags of the Republic of Ireland every July 12th on huge bonfires.  I don't think a big fuss is made about it.

Of course I would, why ever would I not? It would be a disgrace and an insult.

Of course I would, why ever would I not? It would be a disgrace and an insult.

Just smacks of "Outraged... Penelope of Tunbridge Wells" to me over this.... 

Oh, so anybody of the opinion he's been a bit of a nob or a little hypocritical is down for your ridicule eh ? Funny how those (like me) who think that have to justify their opinions but we don't really care about those that don't think that way.

I'm not saying I'm right I'm just saying I feel he'sbeen a bit of a nob, no more no less. Am I supposed to see how everyone posts and run with the pack ? Nah, I'll stick to posting how I feel, at the end of the day, it's not that important is it ?

That's your issue not mine.... question of standards old boy.

Fair enough, think what's got lost is that I don't agree with his stance either... Probably me over egging 

I might be in the minority but I respect his decision. It's obviously something that he feels passionate about.

I respect his decision too but if he feels so passionately that he cannot even look at the Union Jack how come he lives in a country that the flag represents?

he is a hypocritical ***** if he's happy to take money from his British (mostly) employers, and accept adoration from his British fans, yet can't even stand to look at the British flag. **** off back to Ireland you utter knob!!

His disagreement is with the political and military actions of the British government and armed forces, represented by the union flag and the poppy, not with his football club or its fans. 

By your argument, every British citizen who disagrees with some aspect of our government's foreign policy, like the Iraq war for example, should leave the country. 

There wouldn't be many of us left. 

His disagreement is with the political and military actions of the British government and armed forces, represented by the union flag and the poppy, not with his football club or its fans. 

By your argument, every British citizen who disagrees with some aspect of our government's foreign policy, like the Iraq war for example, should leave the country. 

There wouldn't be many of us left. 

The flag doesn't just represent the armed forces. It represents the country as a whole. Going by your logic you assume that anyone who respects the flag agrees with every decision our government makes.

Just to add, it was an England flag, not the Union Jack. It shouldn't matter, but there are obvious reason to argue why the Union Jack would be more unpalatable to McClean.

But, but, but........ He was geographically born in the United Kingdom and is a UK citizen. If his parents were that uptight about it, they should have hopped across the border and delivered him there. I travel to Belfast and Lisburn a fair bit on biz and believe me, it is largely resolved apart from a few idiots and an odd parade here and there to stir things up. Religion eh?? Cause of so much strife.

anyone born in Northern Ireland is automatically given Irish citizenship if they want it by the Irish state. If his parents don't recognise that border, why would they 'hop across' it? Being born in a particular political entity does not necessarily make you of that entity, even if you live and work there. Just ask a Palestinian. 

anyone born in Northern Ireland is automatically given Irish citizenship if they want it by the Irish state. If his parents don't recognise that border, why would they 'hop across' it? Being born in a particular political entity does not necessarily make you of that entity, even if you live and work there. Just ask a Palestinian. 

it matters not what his parents recognised. He was very happy to represent N. Ireland at U21 level, I assume he switched to Ireland as he would have a slightly better chance of making it to major finals with our friends from the South. 

i didn't know this ? wow

Archived