James McClean - More Controversy

Scott129

Whilst it must be hard for anyone directly touched by the troubles it is time to move on .He should realise that he is playing for a club in the city that was bombed by the IRA with a considerable loss of life .

He has form not just the poppy incident and to my mind he does go looking for a reaction .I think he is a cock personally.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2508906/James-McClean-Twitter-row-online-rant-newspaper.html

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it matters not what his parents recognised. He was very happy to represent N. Ireland at U21 level, I assume he switched to Ireland as he would have a slightly better chance of making it to major finals with our friends from the South. 

You assume that but it might be entirely wrong. he might have developed his views, he might have become politically aware, he might have liked it when he went there on holiday. Who knows? What I do know is that not everyone makes career choices based on such narrow, cynical criteria.

You assume that but it might be entirely wrong. he might have developed his views, he might have become politically aware, he might have liked it when he went there on holiday. Who knows? What I do know is that not everyone makes career choices based on such narrow, cynical criteria.

I did say I assume. It might be other reasons. :) Yeah right!!! :lol:

To be honest I get that he has a thing about the army, even if it is the army of his country. He was brought up in what amounted to a catholic ghetto in a family with strong connections to the IRA who were on the receiving end, rightly or wrongly of some pretty strong attention from the military. Has he even given up his British citizenship?

I do believe (correctly), that once again it was a stupid act to deliberately turn away from the flag while the national anthem was being played. An act that was deliberate in its desire to get a reaction, which it clearly has - I suspect Tony Pullis will not be so forgiving of his misbehaviour as other managers have in the past.

That is not a logical deduction from the statement I made, so no. 

Agreed. Sorry about that. I forgot you refuting someone else's logic and not stating what you actually believed.

My point is that it's McClean's choice to politicise the St George's cross through his actions. Like it or not, West Bromwich Albion is an English football club with an almost exclusively English fan base who are all represented by that flag. It doesn't really seem fair for McClean to arbitrarily decide that certain institutions under that flag have any more claim to it than me, you or anyone else in England.

Just to add, I don't like the idea of observing the flag before domestic games. It is entirely unnecessary and leads to situations like the one we're discussing.

anyone born in Northern Ireland is automatically given Irish citizenship if they want it by the Irish state. If his parents don't recognise that border, why would they 'hop across' it? Being born in a particular political entity does not necessarily make you of that entity, even if you live and work there. Just ask a Palestinian. 

Palestine now we are stretching things !

The whole situation shouldn't have happened in the first place as they shouldn't have been doing any of that at a football match in the first place. It's not an international match, it's a club friendly, and he should never have been put in that position. Ultimately I'd say he dealt with it respectfully, while respecting his family. There was nothing offensive about it. 

I agree with you in that West Brom should be dealing with this better, they should be protecting him. I have no idea why they allow all this to happen, but as it's happened a few times now, I'd be tempted to think that they're actually doing it to allow the silent protest to be a bit more visible for him, and there's nothing wrong with that if it's the case. 

I really don't know why you keep bringing up "other parts of the world", as in much of the world such would be tolerated, and in many places could end up being celebrated by some groups. It's irrelevant though as he's not some foreign national in a far away place, he's a UK national from a border region who has a very justified concern that is being highlighted by such events. Whether you agree with him or not, you surely have to be able to understand where the concerns are. 

To me he did it in the most respectful manner he could, and he has done it in the most respectful manner possible from the start. To me the disrespectful part is expecting him to join in from the start, particularly the poppies, as to me actually just expecting everyone to wear one (or the image) is disrespectful to those who gave their lives. Such displays should be given willingly and by choice, not seen as something that we must do. By making people do it, potentially against their will you sap all meaning from the display, which is a far greater insult than someone silently turning and bowing their head during an anthem. 

The premier league is a global brand and he works directly or directly for it depending on your view.

So he should be aware of his actions and how he and his employer could be seen in other countries.

End of the day his manager has reportedly told him to tone it down today which says it all

James McClean: West Brom speak to winger over anthem gesture

West Bromwich Albion head coach Tony Pulis has spoken with James McClean after the player refused to acknowledge the British national anthem.

Republic of Ireland winger McClean, 26, bowed his head and turned away from the English flag before a friendly on the club's tour of the United States.

"I had a chat with him and explained what we do as a club," said Pulis.

"He's got to turn towards the flag like everybody else has and he recognises that," he told the club website. 

McClean's gesture came before Albion's game against Charleston Battery on their three-game pre-season tour.

Afterwards he wrote on Twitter: "I don't need to say anything or will I either."

Pulis added: "He thought he was OK to close his eyes and put his head down in respect of both anthems. The trouble is he's got to face the flag."

McClean took advantage of the rule that allows anyone born in Northern Ireland to choose which national side to play for, as long as they have not taken part in a competitive senior international.

He played for Northern Ireland at under-21 level but opted to represent the Republic of Ireland in 2011.

The Londonderry-born former Sunderland midfielder has previously refused to wear a Remembrance Day poppy out of respect for the people killed on Bloody Sunday in 1972.

McClean joined the Baggies from Wigan in June and Pulis says he has taken to life at Albion well.

"Obviously there has been a stigma around him and he doesn't need to start that up again," Pulis said. "So hopefully we've nipped it in the bud.

"We've got Northern Ireland lads in the squad and he's been absolutely fantastic with them, and the way he's mixed and integrated with the group has been brilliant."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33609575

an English football club with an almost exclusively English fan base who are all represented by that flag.  

I don't feel I am represented by that flag, and I'm sure many others don't either. 

As you say, flags are best left out of it. 

We respect his decision and it is unfortunate that we put him in an awkward position and he is entitled to his views and......

i'd put the fkr in row D if I was playing against him.

We respect his decision and it is unfortunate that we put him in an awkward position and he is entitled to his views and......

yer big softy, surely row G at least. 

Honest question, when did people in the UK become touchy American wannabes? 

Honest question, when did people in the UK become touchy American wannabes? 

I suspect (in all honesty) that some of the soft and supposedly understanding stuff that some write on here is totally different to their real views. Many of them are young and not formed grown up viewpoints yet. 

8d75323499aa2cee48daafeaf9e29b38.jpg

Perhaps james could join in if the players hold hands and skip around the centre circle in front of this flag?

(but if not we quite understand. We wouldn't want to upset him).

I don't feel I am represented by that flag, and I'm sure many others don't either. 

As you say, flags are best left out of it. 

That's fine, but what really matters is what the West Brom fans who's club and community he is being paid to represent think.

8d75323499aa2cee48daafeaf9e29b38.jpg

Perhaps james could join in if the players hold hands and skip around the centre circle in front of this flag?

(but if not we quite understand. We wouldn't want to upset him).

Thank goodness Albion's away kit isn't orange.

That's fine, but what really matters is what the West Brom fans who's club and community he is being paid to represent think.

I expect they represent a cross section of the community with a range of opinions, like any other club. 

McClean is being paid to play football, not to be a political ambassador for British nationalists and Daily Mail readers. As long as he plays to the best of his ability, the club's fans should have no other claim on his conscience. 

I expect they represent a cross section of the community with a range of opinions, like any other club. 

McClean is being paid to play football, not to be a political ambassador for British nationalists and Daily Mail readers. As long as he plays to the best of his ability, the club's fans should have no other claim on his conscience. 

I don't agree. Players are representing the club and community, so it stands to reason that there are a whole host of individuals who fans don't want representing their teams for various non footballing reasons.

Also, can we ditch the patronising fallacy that only Daily Mail readers are the only people who would care about this?

Archived