James McClean - More Controversy

Scott129

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exactly, that was me sort of defending MacClean. I still think he's a knob though. 

Just wondering why is he a knob though? If his opinion if the British is as bad a Jewish view of the Nazis (that may be the extreme end of the spectrum, but he certainly doesn't seem very pleased with the Brits), then why is he being vilified if a Jew in a similar in a similar position wouldn't be?

I think it's because a Jew wouldn't go to work for Nazi's, no matter what the money on offer, whereas MacClean is a total hypocrite, working for the people he hates. 

@staffsram if we learnt anything about polls they mean nothing ref general election 

Not wanting to veer off topic again, I'll only add that that situation was very much highlighted as the exception rather than the norm. Otherwise, the likes of MORI etc would have packed up and gone home already.

Exactly, that was me sort of defending MacClean. I still think he's a knob though. 

Just wondering why is he a knob though? If his opinion if the British is as bad a Jewish view of the Nazis (that may be the extreme end of the spectrum, but he certainly doesn't seem very pleased with the Brits), then why is he being vilified if a Jew in a similar in a similar position wouldn't be?

I think it's because a Jew wouldn't go to work for Nazi's, no matter what the money on offer, whereas MacClean is a total hypocrite, working for the people he hates. 

Firstly if you are Jewish you are kind of above criticism anyway. No one dates have a go just incase the nazi card gets played. 

Secondly Hugo Boss is a Jewish run company, that made the nazi uniforms. If the money is right, outrage tends to go out the window. 

I don't see that with JM though. He can love it here but not love the flag or the establishment. 

I represented England at beach soccer many times. Loved every second and was proud to represent my country. I never once sang the national anthem and was even fined on a couple of occasions for refusing. It isn't a national anthem. It is a song about a woman who doesn't give a flying f about any one of us. 

I love England for the people, their passion for an underdog, for the beauty of the countryside. I don't love England because we invade and bomb other countries, kill their people, steal their resources, and because we have a fat benefit scrounger convered in billions of pounds of jewels and gold as our 'ruler', while food banks are at the highest level and 1 in 3 children are born into poverty. 

Maybe James feels the same. 

That would be equivalent to saying that no Jew could have a valid complaint about Germany in the past and live in Germany anymore. His problem isn't with the UK in general from what I can tell, but rather the actions and glorification of those actions in some circles. His concern with the poppy to my knowledge is entirely to do with it being used to represent the British Army even in the time of the actions committed in Ireland. 

Equally, even I feel uncomfortable with the idea of forcing people to turn to face a flag for a friendly, as it's just jingoistic nonsense. I really don't see how anyone could get so offended by him doing literally nothing. What he did was respectful, calm and to be blunt about it, I'd do the same same as a protest against the practice alone. Then again, Australia's current government is current creating a flag scale for importance of press conferences. 

People make it sound like he goes around singing about destroying the UK. To my knowledge there are two incidents, which ultimately are complete non-incidents. He declined to wear a poppy due to them being used to represent actions in Ireland, and didn't want to be turned towards a flag during some weird American flag cult ritual. He has stated his reasons clearly and calmly, and it seems to be only the media that are making a big deal of it. 

That would be equivalent to saying that no Jew could have a valid complaint about Germany in the past and live in Germany anymore. His problem isn't with the UK in general from what I can tell, but rather the actions and glorification of those actions in some circles. His concern with the poppy to my knowledge is entirely to do with it being used to represent the British Army even in the time of the actions committed in Ireland. 

Equally, even I feel uncomfortable with the idea of forcing people to turn to face a flag for a friendly, as it's just jingoistic nonsense. I really don't see how anyone could get so offended by him doing literally nothing. What he did was respectful, calm and to be blunt about it, I'd do the same same as a protest against the practice alone. Then again, Australia's current government is current creating a flag scale for importance of press conferences. 

People make it sound like he goes around singing about destroying the UK. To my knowledge there are two incidents, which ultimately are complete non-incidents. He declined to wear a poppy due to them being used to represent actions in Ireland, and didn't want to be turned towards a flag during some weird American flag cult ritual. He has stated his reasons clearly and calmly, and it seems to be only the media that are making a big deal of it. 

good point, well presented. 

good point, well presented. 

Nice post Albert , but the poopy is not meant to support the just British Army but all nationalities that died in the wars is my understanding.  Unfortunately though the funds go the British Legion, which has direct links to all the British armed forces.

Still think MacClean needs to understand the possible reaction to his actions though. Sometimes principles are not always worth it in the long run.   

Nice post Albert , but the poopy is not meant to support the just British Army but all nationalities that died in the wars is my understanding.  Unfortunately though the funds go the British Legion, which has direct links to all the British armed forces.

Still think MacClean needs to understand the possible reaction to his actions though. Sometimes principles are not always worth it in the long run.   

Why "does he need to understand the possible reaction to his actions" exactly? He's done nothing illegal, he's been cool calm and collected about the whole thing, and he's stated his reasoning well when asked. He's not done anything offensive, unless you count abstaining calmly from something "offensive". If anyone had it in for him because of anything he's said or done, that's their problem, and if they react violently, they should probably be in some kind of institution.  

As in turns out in fact Kirk Broadfoot's verbal abuse as a reaction to him as landed him a 10 game ban. 

Course he needs to understand regardless of right or wrong that his behaviour will influence his personal standing and future opportunities. The world is not a totally fair place whether we like it or not. His resale value will probably be affected and his potential market and renumeration packages will probably also  be affected.

What service it that overall to his family , also his children will probably suffer call it prejudice or not but it happens even in the playgrounds today.

Course he needs to understand regardless of right or wrong that his behaviour will influence his personal standing and future opportunities. The world is not a totally fair place whether we like it or not. His resale value will probably be affected and his potential market and renumeration packages will probably also  be affected.

What service it that overall to his family , also his children will probably suffer call it prejudice or not but it happens even in the playgrounds today.

Not if Celtic becomes interested

Since the situation with the poppies he's become more well known, moved to the Premier League and is in general doing quite well for himself. If anything, the fact that he's dealt with it so maturely may actually help him. He'll divide opinion, but being divisive isn't always a bad thing.

• 2 months later...

Archived