Our day with Mel Morris

Day

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very good, Daveo. This sentence seems to be a bit strange though….

The idea of a new manager having the power to rip up the sports science department, shred the academy, control player purchases and take away the stability in its entirety has to be a positive move. 

Negative, surely? 

thats what we've got but its unclear who is in what role 

Our director of football is really the chief scout. 

That bloke from the FA?

Found it interesting that we talked about Southampton and Swansea being the role models for us on Wednesday and Southampton also have CCTV "Big Brother" watching the training pitches, something a few didn't like on here.

Cctv on the training pitches wasn't the issue for me......it was the debriefing of the players after the match.

p.s. Just realised that this sounds like they are taking their pants off.....which i suppose they could be.

I doubt the debriefing being recorded would be the immediate after match talk in the changing room. More the more detailed, measured analysis and debriefing that takes place the day after.

um....but Paul Clement has done his teacher training.

some things may have have to be said in the changing room which stay in the changing room.

you never stop learning and should find ways of improving at all times. If its the debriefs following coaches video analysis the dat after the things that have to be said in the dressing room after a match will still be un recorded

Still a daft idea. Who's benefit is it for?

a trainee head coach or a wannabe chairman?

p.s. It  will end up on youtube.

Still a daft idea. Who's benefit is it for?

a trainee head coach or a wannabe chairman?

p.s. It  will end up on youtube.

Why is it daft?

The worst it can be is a folly and a waste of a few grand.

The thing about that amount of video footage though, is the amount of time it takes editing and processing it, so a full mornings coaching sessions for 2 or 3 squads would need someone editing full time to get anything worthwhile out of it (Gizza job Mel, I can do that!!)

There are a hundred ways it could be useful though, a new coach coming in could look at videos of the old regime and keep a bit of continuity with the drills, routines etc., or just take some of the best aspects of the previous coaches to use within his sessions.

I don't see why anyone would just write it off as daft though.

I don't think he meant filming the team talks.?It's the class room sessions before and after where they talk about the game in calm detail?

Don't think anyone will learn owt from a team talk. Just reminders, bollockings and praise isn't it? The odd adjustment to the odd player's behaviour. 

The videos will educate coaches. What coach is not looking to learn? 

I don't think he meant filming the team talks.?It's the class room sessions before and after where they talk about the game in calm detail?

Don't think anyone will learn owt from a team talk. Just reminders, bollockings and praise isn't it? The odd adjustment to the odd player's behaviour. 

The videos will educate coaches. What coach is not looking to learn? 

…which I thought was the point made earlier on this page by RamNut himself. Shirley.

All the positivity about filming might turn a bit more negative depending on how it’s used, who has control, and who gives consent for what. If DCFC is recording the manager then does the manager have control over how the recordings are used, edited, distributed, and stored? Will it be stored securely? Who has access? Is the video the property of the manager or DCFC? What happens when the inevitable happens and the manager leaves the club (for better or for worse)? What happens when those who have access to a manager’s recordings leave the club (for better or for worse). What about access and storage then?

I don’t know the ethical standards of your average football club but it’s not hard to see that some managers might have a problem with this.

thats what we've got but its unclear who is in what role 

Our director of football is really the chief scout. 

Directing is Sam Rush. He's the man doing the day to day running of the club? He's who everyone answers to. 

Chris Evans is running to scouting and recruitment. 

Clement is the head coach of course.

Mel Morris is the finance and support. I don't think he tells Sam Rush how to go about doing his job. He just tells him what the job is. Not how to do it. He was quite clear in saying that all he brings with him is knowledge on running businesses. Including bringing people together and putting what they are good at into practice. That's what his skill is 

That's how I understand it

…which I thought was the point made earlier on this page by RamNut himself. Shirley.

All the positivity about filming might turn a bit more negative depending on how it’s used, who has control, and who gives consent for what. If DCFC is recording the manager then does the manager have control over how the recordings are used, edited, distributed, and stored? Will it be stored securely? Who has access? Is the video the property of the manager or DCFC? What happens when the inevitable happens and the manager leaves the club (for better or for worse)? What happens when those who have access to a manager’s recordings leave the club (for better or for worse). What about access and storage then?

I don’t know the ethical standards of your average football club but it’s not hard to see that some managers might have a problem with this.

Yeah I can see the negatives. McClaren wasn't for it. Clement was apparently surprised anyone would say no. The benefits are obvious. 

If a manager / head coach has a problem with that at Derby they will probably be thanked for their services and moved on; quite rightly.

Yeah I can see the negatives. McClaren wasn't for it. Clement was apparently surprised anyone would say no. The benefits are obvious. 

It's ok if it's Clement and his team watching the videos over and analysing, but I would have a problem if Morris is involved in the process and making comments. Did he give any more details?

It's ok if it's Clement and his team watching the videos over and analysing, but I would have a problem if Morris is involved in the process and making comments. Did he give any more details?

No, unless I've got it wrong it's nothing to do with Morris really. It's his idea I think. He's paying for the cameras (?) but it's purely for coaches to access when they want. Whether to discuss things with a player(s). Analyse shape or habits or technique etc, things you might be missing when you can't get that one to one time during sessions. It's for coaches to see what's being taught in other age groups etc. To educate them. 

It part of the plan to make it one complete club. U7's to seniors. Being able to sit kids/teenagers down and have a videos to show them. Videos to show coaches. 

That's the thing that I think might not be coming across in this.  These are just ideas and strategies by Mel Morris to make sure every coach and player has everything they need to do their job better. To make it one complete club. He said himself that his skill isn't picking teams and tactics. 

I think we are making a big deal of the cameras. Ultimately, if the lower level coaches and players can witness what goes on at the top even if through video clips, what's the harm in it. However, this is one of those discussion points which will go away in a few weeks never to be bought up again.

Reality is I think clubs are moving towards a business model where individual roles are performed by the best person for that job, rather than a manager expected to do everything. It's the new way, sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't.

the key thing ultimately is that the decisions Sam and Paul and Chris and Mel make are here right ones. That's what counts.

Why are you (almost) assuming that Morris is involved?

I've seen it written on here over the last two or three days that posters are surmising that Morris is 'interfering' in areas where he arguably shouldn't be, and suggesting that he's more 'hands-on' than Rolf Harris.

There seems to be an awful lot of assumption going on, and I'm not exactly sure why.

Why are you (almost) assuming that Morris is involved?

I've seen it written on here over the last two or three days that posters are surmising that Morris is 'interfering' in areas where he arguably shouldn't be, and suggesting that he's more 'hands-on' than Rolf Harris.

There seems to be an awful lot of assumption going on, and I'm not exactly sure why.

I didn't assume anything. I explained in what situation I would have a problem, then asked whether this was the case. Given the cameras are his idea, it's not unreasonable to have concerns over his involvement.

Archived