Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

I could easily see Buxton and Albentosa leave for Sheffield and Betis respectively. Shotton will join the Rose and Crown Sunday seconds. Keogh will be kept for CB/RB cover and might even become a regular at RB with Shackell & Pearce in the middle. I think we need LB cover and Warnock might survive, but I'd like a better option. 

All speculation of course but the defence needs a real shake-up. We can't go into this season with echoes of last year hanging around.

​Why would Buxton go to Sheffield? 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a very underwhelming signing for me. All this song and dance about the new scouting setup and we end up signing someone who we used to own and know wasn't that brilliant anyway. 

I'm hoping for something out of leftfield here, a player we don't know.  

This would be a very underwhelming signing for me. All this song and dance about the new scouting setup and we end up signing someone who we used to own and know wasn't that brilliant anyway. 

I'm hoping for something out of leftfield here, a player we don't know.  

​I've heard of this Spanish bloke, Raul Alben-something. Impressed in La Liga last season...

what's the big deal with Shackell? He was ok, he left, he got older.

​He went to a two bob team, helped them get promoted, and put up a real fight in the Premier League. 

We replaced him with... well... we didn't replace him. 

Really for CB's we have Albentosa, Pearce and Keogh who could be the best in the league this season, If we get Shackell then that would make 2 different pairings so we could rotate but keep the back 4 used to each other, Shotton/Christie and Warnock/Fozzy as RB/LB so really we would have 2 solid back 4's which if consistently picked, could be the best in the league! 

Really for CB's we have Albentosa, Pearce and Keogh who could be the best in the league this season, If we get Shackell then that would make 2 different pairings so we could rotate but keep the back 4 used to each other, Shotton/Christie and Warnock/Fozzy as RB/LB so really we would have 2 solid back 4's which if consistently picked, could be the best in the league! 

Is Bucko still in Sheffield then?

Shackell is one of the best 'Top Championship/Lower Premier League' defenders around. He's a leader, strong, decent with the ball (though he liked a hollywood pass too much) and was very impressive during his year with us. During Burnley's promotion he was one of, if not, the best defender in the league that year.

I'd pay a good fee to get him back here for next year. Him and Keogh together would be excellent, though given their interest in Keogh previously I could see the two swapping sides if we are indeed intent on Shackell.

How do you have 2 back 4's consistently picked? :huh:

Archived