Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last season we had Whitbread, Shotton, Bucko and Albentosa partnering Keogh due to injury's or lose of form we will need all of the afore mentioned players  

​We don't need 5 or 6 people just for 2 centre back spots. We need to avoid signing people like Whitbread who've spent most of their career in a physio room and we need to get a settled partnership. If we have Shackell as the left sided centre back (if he signs) then i'm sure any of Albentosa, Keogh or Pearce could form a solid partnership with him. We just need to avoid rotating them as frequently as we did last season 

The report suggests he wants the move, which I'm not surprised. 

Those that remember will know that I was lucky enough to have a talk with Shackell a few months after he left. He said some choice words about a certain manager and that he never wanted to leave. 

£2m is a little steep for a 31 y/o with a year left on his contract isn't it?

​31's not too old for a CB and he has experience in the Prem where he more than held his own.

£2m is a fair price for him, although I am worried with the amount we're spending in total.

I'm i one of the few that don't want to see this happen, I've got no qualms with him coming back, decent Defender and all but doesn't offer much else, doesn't have the range of passing is like to see (buxton, keogh) and 2mil is a bit steep for a 31 year old, we could get a younger CB for that (dunk).

in all fairness I'd be quite happy to see Keogh and buxton stride out as our first choice CB pairing next season. They got us to the playoff final, and to the top of the league on more than one occasion (until the capitulation (buxtons absence anyone?)

people underrate our defenders far too much, I can understand some peoples for keogh, he's a bit like a charging puppy, but he's a sound defender, and under pressure his distribution is superb, how many times did keogh pass the ball to the opposition last season (ala Christie, Forsyth), how many times under our capitulation was keogh directly responsible for conceding a goal eh?

dont get me started on buxton, he's tiny for a CB, but how often does he get beat in the air? What about that header against Leeds? Those 50 yard passes to our wingers that never miss? And don't forget he's still got drogba in his back pocket which is no mean feat. People have forgotten how good he is since he forgot how to handle a coffe cup.

nope I'm perfectly content with the two of them in defense. Up until the bad patch after Bournemouth (after which Buxton started to disappear off the radar) it was those two that had us something ridiculous about 3rd best defense in the league , goals conceded and so many clean sheets it out a launderer to shame. Without being detrimental, if any contributed to our attacking play. Just stick a full back who can defend with them and an option to pass in midfield (DM).

if we were going to splash out on a multimillion defender id rather see wisdom come in than shackell 

And if your blinkered to only look at brick shithouses that do nothing but defend remember this. Two good defenders with excellent chemistry make a great pairing, two great defenders with no chemistry is a bad one

Anyone who doesn't think this is a brilliant signing needs their head checking. Burnley were 9th in the Premier League last season for clean sheets with 10 out of 38. If they had someone other than Ings scoring goals they would have stayed up comfortably!

Southampton, who had £20m rated Clyne, Belgian international Alderweireld and Team of the season candidate Fonte in their back line had 11.

Will be as big as Ince signing.

Also have mixed emotions about this one...but he was excellent in the one season he was here.

I assume now he's married, he's more mature nowadays too.

My concern is that Shackell and Pearce would be very very slow...would prefer to keep Keogh but if we sign Shackell too and with all the abuse Keogh and his missus got, would not be surprised if he went.

Also, Keogh at right back - was he really worse than Wisdom, who was so effective for us? Wisdom was terrible going forward, remember, and him staying back allowed Forsyth to flourish. Could we see that return with a defensive right-back (who is undoubtedly better than Shotton there) in place?

Last season we had Whitbread, Shotton, Bucko and Albentosa partnering Keogh due to injury's or lose of form we will need all of the afore mentioned players  

One of those has gone and at least one other should go.

Shackell is a good defender and as long as he can pass 10 yards to Thorne or Hughes I'm not bothered about his footballing ability.

We should be more measured in our expectations of English defenders.

After all,  look at the ones that get into England's team!

Bit odd to sign Pearce, and then spend big money on Shackell, with Buxton, Keogh, Albentosa and Shotton stil all at the club. Can see 2 of them leaving TBH

​Who's gonna buy all our rejects now that cloughs out of a job?

From SDSR on the Derby Mad board ,  

Shackell - what I've heard
I just read the Shackell news from John Percy (very reliable) so I made a phone call

We have bid but it was made last week. Not just made today.

I was told that Shackell never wanted to leave. Had some interesting things to say to my friend about Mr Clough

He is currently on his honey moon after getting married this weekend and is keen to leave Burnley as they will not offer him the money he wants (1yr left on deal). He feels that the club haven't rewarded him for his performances last season.

Burnley haven't rejected nor accepted a bid yet. But player power is crucial these days
Read more at http://boards.footymad.net/forum.php?tno=181&fid=16&sty=2&act=1&mid=2109973831#Wbl1Fpb33vKKEXoX.99

He is rarely wrong.

​​

The report suggests he wants the move, which I'm not surprised. 

Those that remember will know that I was lucky enough to have a talk with Shackell a few months after he left. He said some choice words about a certain manager and that he never wanted to leave. 

​Told you I was ITK

Archived