Signed: Jason Shackell

irobinson

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/derby-county/11675652/Derby-County-manager-Paul-Clement-ready-to-take-Jason-Shackell-back-to-Pride-Park-following-Burnleys-relegation.html

Paul Clement has launched a £2 million bid to bring Burnley defender Jason Shackell back to Derby County.

Clement tabled an offer for the centre-half over the weekend in the latest move of an ambitious recruitment drive by the Championship club.

Shackell is aware of the bid from his former club and sources in the north-west have indicated that he has informed Burnley manager Sean Dyche he is keen to take on a new challenge.

The 31-year-old has spent three seasons at Turf Moor and made 39 appearances in Burnley’s brief stay in the Premier League.

But Derby want Shackell to form a new partnership with summer signing Alex Pearce and are hopeful of concluding a deal this month.

Shackell was sold by Derby in 2012 after just one campaign in the east Midlands but Clement, the club’s new head coach, wants to secure his return.

Derby have already signed former England internationals Darren Bentand Scott Carson this summer and are closing in on Aston Villa’s Andreas Weimann for £2m.

Thomas Ince is also on the radar, with Clement determined to complete a club record £4.5m deal for the Hull City winger.

Beat me to it :angry:

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shackell and Keogh to partner, Pearce to keep on their toes and Shotton for RB/CB spread.  Sell the rest.

I'm sorry but I don't really rate Shotton. Bucko is a great back up. He along with warnock and albentosa should be allowed to find new clubs. 

Let's just stick to the clough players.

I'm sorry but I don't really rate Shotton. Bucko is a great back up. He along with warnock and albentosa should be allowed to find new clubs. 

Let's just stick to the clough players.

​I don't think he'd set the league alight, no.  I do think, however, that he is more than capable at cover for both positions and is another experience head.  

So we'd have:

RB - Christie, Shotton, Keogh (if needed)

CB - Shackell, Pearce, Keogh, Shotton (if needed), Rawson to blood

LB - Forsyth, Warnock 

Sold - Albentosa to Betis, Buxton to Burton

Bags of experience. 

​Balls to that, Shackell to replace Keogh...

​I don't think it'll happen.  I can see them forming a strong partnership, the disjointed nature of this season hasn't exactly helped Keogh.  Having 'another' Captain next to him should bring the best out of him, and his bursts forward should open plenty of doors for Weimann/Ince/JR etc. 

£2m is a little steep for a 31 y/o with a year left on his contract isn't it?

Absolutely not. We're talking about a player in the peak of his career here. Blossomed with age and has got a good 3 years left in him. Find me a better option for 2 million..

Archived