Hendrick - Aston Villa

ChaddesdenRam

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Dawkins and Hendrick both have their pitfalls, no doubt about it.

Without question, Dawkins is a more talented footballer. He has a better touch, his awareness is a lot better and he doesn't lose the ball anywhere near the amount that Hendrick does.

I think Dawkins is a player that needs a little bit of coaching to become a very, very good player. I think he could do what Bryson did for us last season as he is a better player than him, also.

Hendrick's problems are more deep rooted. He's a good Championship footballer - an extremely good Championship footballer - but he lacks the intelligence. He's better than Dawkins at the 'long game' but his concentration for a centre mid is very poor. 

I'd give Dawkins the nod over Hendrick ahead of next season as I think he's got more potential. Hendrick is a player that if a bid, like the numbers talked about, came in that I would actively seek to move on. 

I don't think Dawkins would ever be able to play in a two man midfield, which is his downfall, but Hendrick can't at the moment either.

If Hendrick's going to make it at the top level then he needs to improve his concentration, fitness and learn to play in a two man midfield. I said in another thread, Arter and Surman are similar players to him but have looked like athletes in comparison. On ability alone, I would still pick Hendrick but he needs to look at what them two have done and follow their example. 

​Do you think there's any chance of a bid of that size coming ever in for Dawkins?

You say without question, but I'm questioning it, not only questioning but telling you I think you're wrong.

Good coaching to make him a very very good player? Sorry but have we not got the best most forward thinking coach in the game? He's had him under his wing now for 18 months at Derby and for some time before that at QPR, if he hasn't got through to him yet then......

And as for more potential??

Dawkins in 27 and has made less than 40 starts.

Hendrick is 23 and has played over 130 games.

He's a better passer of the ball over 6 yards, I'll give you that.

​We can have a flutter that Jeff will go on to have a much better career than Dawkins as a central midfielder, we can have a flutter that Jeff will play a higher level than Dawks, hell I'd even be tempted to have a flutter that Jeff would make a better winger (exaggeration). We can have a flutter that Jeff will move for more in one transfer that Dawks will in his entire career.

If you think Dawkins is better or even on a par with Jeff centrally then I'm not convinced by your eye for a player. I guess that won't surprise you though ;-) 

Hell let's just have a flutter on anything, I know you like a gamble and I'm well up for a bottle of tequila.

He's a better long-passer anfd forward passer too. Better first touch, better ball control, better awareness, better movement, better link-up play too.

Giv Dawks time at CM and he'll prove an excellent player, just like he has done the rare occasions he played there for us.

He's a better long-passer anfd forward passer too. Better first touch, better ball control, better awareness, better movement, better link-up play too.

Giv Dawks time at CM and he'll prove an excellent player, just like he has done the rare occasions he played there for us.

​Does the fact that McClaren always picks Hendrick, or Bryson if Hendrick is not fit, in this position before Dawkins not create even the slightest element of doubt in your mind over this statement?

​Does the fact that McClaren always picks Hendrick, or Bryson if Hendrick is not fit, in this position before Dawkins not create even the slightest element of doubt in your mind over this statement?

​Signed as a winger... balance... personal reasons... etcetera 

​the one thing Jeff ISN'T is a physical presence! You could believe he was 5'3" and 8 stone for the way he doesn't put himself about a bit.

​and when he does try putting himself about he has a habit of trying one-footed lunging tackles which are highly risky for both him and the tackled player.

witness Yeovil away last season.

Dawkins is in need of finding a role that he works in because he's got ability. I think his detractors, rightly a lot of the time, see him ineffective at jobs he is asked to do. If Hendrick was consistant  he'd be a  a decent prem  general purpose midfielder, but he has has a lot of missing games and moments.

​and when he does try putting himself about he has a habit of trying one-footed lunging tackles which are highly risky for both him and the tackled player.

witness Yeovil away last season.

​Brighton in the home leg of the play offs - he could, perhaps should, have been sent off for that one.

​Brighton in the home leg of the play offs - he could, perhaps should, have been sent off for that one.

He got the ball though. He was class that day. 

Like Jeff but the bloke lacks a brain

Maybe why Sherwood likes him :D

But how would you know about Sherwood like Jeff? 

• 4 weeks later...

Archived