Signed: Tom Ince

North_Stand_Ram

Tom Ince prediction   

206 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Spot on.

Christie and Forsyth looked brilliant with Ward and Russell playing in front of them. Both attacking players tracked back tirelessly to help out. When Ibe first came in the full back on his side suddenly looked really out of sorts - the dodgy defending just happened to be whichever side Ibe was playing at the time - because he offered no support to the full back. However, during his last five games, Ibe had been coached to attend to his defencive duties as well. It is no coincidence that Ibe's last month was our best form of the season. Ibe gets replaced by Ince and Russell and Ward lose form and fitness and our full backs look like the worst players in the world. It is no coincidence.

Ince is more effective than either Russell or Ward in attack, but far less so in defence. This puts more onus on the full backs to stay back and defend, and changes the whole dynamic of the side. We lose all width and the defencive frailties of Forsyth and Christie are exaggerated, whilst their attacking prowess is firmly blunted. 

I'm not saying don't sign Ince, but we need to be aware that he doesn't actually fit the 433 system very well as we usually play it. 

​Not anything to do with Eustace then? 

​Not anything to do with Eustace then? 

​Eustace stays central, which does at least allow the centre halves to offer a little cover to the full backs, but that is not as key to the performance of the full backs as cover from the wide attackers.

Some people are obsessed with signing players who have played for Derby at some point in the past. I bet if you asked them to name 20 Championship players they couldn't because they don't know who else actually exists.

Ince would be a cracking signing.

I think we need to go for a more solid back 4 next season. Sacrifice the attacking abilities and strengthen in the areas we clearly lacked this season as we just need to be harder to beat.

​Rubbish. We need to play with much more abandon. And yes I'm being serious. Too much focus on defense is where we've gone wrong this season. Need to get back to attacking teams.

​Rubbish. We need to play with much more abandon. And yes I'm being serious. Too much focus on defense is where we've gone wrong this season. Need to get back to attacking teams.

Scoring goals wasn't our problem this season, it was conceding them. All the points we dropped (especially against teams in the lower third) was because we conceded stupid goals. 

Successful teams do not concede and I'm sure if you check all the top two teams in every top league in the world my point will be proven! 

And to clarify I meant sacrifice the attacking abilities of our defenders not the whole team. Let them focus on keeping the ball out of our own net!

And to further my point go and check out La Liga. Barcelona and Real are separated by two points. Both scored the same but Barcelona are top with a better GD of 13. May as well class that as 3 points better off and in a much better position to win the league.

So clearly one of the most attacking sides in the world still values a solid defence! 

Scoring goals wasn't our problem this season, it was conceding them. All the points we dropped (especially against teams in the lower third) was because we conceded stupid goals. 

Successful teams do not concede and I'm sure if you check all the top two teams in every top league in the world my point will be proven! 

And to clarify I meant sacrifice the attacking abilities of our defenders not the whole team. Let them focus on keeping the ball out of our own net!

And to further my point go and check out La Liga. Barcelona and Real are separated by two points. Both scored the same but Barcelona are top with a better GD of 13. May as well class that as 3 points better off and in a much better position to win the league.

So clearly one of the most attacking sides in the world still values a solid defence! 

In La Liga teams on equal points are separated on head-to-heads rather than goal difference.

The problem is that any new defenders need to be both excellent defensively and on the ball. That would cost millions, which we probably couldn't afford. 

If we don't have ball-playing centre-halves then we end up giving the ball away a lot more. Our better defenders end up having to do a lot more deafening whilst our forwards have a lot less of the ball. Think back to the Brentford game, granted that everyone was ****, but a huge factor in our inability to gain control was Forsyth's shocking distribution. He gave it away more times than he kept it.

This defence is awful when put under pressure, but barring Hughes, Dawkins, Thorne and Martin all being injured simultaneously, it's highly unlikely that that will happen more than twice a season in this division because we'll have control. 

Was it not Brian Clough that said "If we have possession, they can't score"?

In La Liga teams on equal points are separated on head-to-heads rather than goal difference.

The problem is that any new defenders need to be both excellent defensively and on the ball. That would cost millions, which we probably couldn't afford. 

If we don't have ball-playing centre-halves then we end up giving the ball away a lot more. Our better defenders end up having to do a lot more deafening whilst our forwards have a lot less of the ball. Think back to the Brentford game, granted that everyone was ****, but a huge factor in our inability to gain control was Forsyth's shocking distribution. He gave it away more times than he kept it.

This defence is awful when put under pressure, but barring Hughes, Dawkins, Thorne and Martin all being injured simultaneously, it's highly unlikely that that will happen more than twice a season in this division because we'll have control. 

Was it not Brian Clough that said "If we have possession, they can't score"?

​Yes possession is a must. However I think the priority of our full backs needs addressing. Two seasons ago we had a better balance because we had wisdom on the right, his strengths were first in defending and then attack followed. This season we haven't had that balance.

​This is slightly off the money... Watford conceded more this season than say... Sheff Weds... yet Watford finished 2nd and Sheff Weds finished 13th...

Brentford both scored less and conceded more than we did... yet they finished 3 places above us...

It's about results... Not scoring AND conceding away at Fulham and Brighton... 2 stupid late goals at home to Birmingham... Then almost everything that happened from then onwards for the rest of the season...

"concede less goals" is far to simplistic...

​This is slightly off the money... Watford conceded more this season than say... Sheff Weds... yet Watford finished 2nd and Sheff Weds finished 13th...

Brentford both scored less and conceded more than we did... yet they finished 3 places above us...

It's about results... Not scoring AND conceding away at Fulham and Brighton... 2 stupid late goals at home to Birmingham... Then almost everything that happened from then onwards for the rest of the season...

"concede less goals" is far to simplistic...

When Steve first came in his plan to get the team winning again was to not touch the attack (as we were scoring freeley) but tighten up at the back. That worked! However the second half of this season we went back to conceding far too many. 

PistoldPete2

Ok so we can spend some candy crush money then? Whatever money we spend I hope our biggest signings don't get injured for the whole season before a ball is kicked.

Archived