Derby County vs Brentford

Carl Sagan

Hmm just not sure about this game. We played an appalling first half against Wigan and then Chris came on (I refuse to call him Chrissie - there's only one Chrissie and that's Chrissie Hynd). So if Martin is the catalyst we need to play well and win then a hard fought 2-1. But then I'm a mugwump (look it up) so probably a 2-2 draw

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant

Keogh,  Albentosa,  Forsyth,  Warnock

Hanson, Hendrick,

Rusell         Martin                Ince

Bent

Roos, Christie, Shotton, Ward, Lingard, Dawkins, Thomas

I think its important to keep the team that ended the wigan game so well together apart from the forced change of Hughes. 

I'd guess we would risk the same defence that started today. I would perhaps like to see Shotton or Christie in for Albentosa, but I can understand why neither would be risked. 

Forsyth and Warnock to start on the left side of the defence, regardless. 

In midfield, it's another tricky one. I don't know if we can play the same system without Hughes. Bryson and Hendrick at the base of the midfield just sounds suicidal. 

Obviously, we will have Ince, Martin, Russell and Bent to start in the attacking diamond. 

We'll have to see how this one plays out. I fancy Brentford to have a bit too much for us at the moment, although Martin certainly helps our case. 

Don't want Shotton at RB. He's pants there. 

Either Hendrick or Bryson to partner Hanson. Hendrick has the brawn but not the brain. Bryson has very few defensive qualities other than being annoying with his energy and determination. 

Hendrick is more ambitious on the ball but when he's off it his passing is terrible. Bryson is pretty much a pass it to the nearest white shirt guy. Bryson is smarter. 

They're different but don't really cover each others weakness. Neither can take control of the game. Never have, never will. 

Hanson has defensive qualities at least. 

Agree with most that we have to play 4231 to fit. And it's a case of putting the best players in their best position. Neither Hendrick or Bryson would ever be a DM. So let's at least play a player that looks like a DM there and chuck a better player next to him to help out.

Martin takes up the position of a playmaker anyway. No great change to him. 

More defensive responsibility for the wingers which will be ok with Russell and Ince more than any of the others.

Either Hendrick or Bryson to partner Hanson. Hendrick has the brawn but not the brain. Bryson has very few defensive qualities other than being annoying with his energy and determination. 

Hendrick is more ambitious on the ball but when he's off it his passing is terrible. Bryson is pretty much a pass it to the nearest white shirt guy. Bryson is smarter. 

They're different but don't really cover each others weakness. Neither can take control of the game. Never have, never will. 

Agree with most that we have to play 4231 to fit. And it's a case of putting the best players in their best position. Neither Hendrick or Bryson would ever be a DM. So let's at least play a player that looks like a DM there and chuck a better player next to him to help out.

More defensive responsibility for the wingers which will be ok with Russell and Ince more than any of the others.

​You'd like to see Christie in as a CB? What? Maybe I'm confusing what you're saying, but you're suggesting putting a player who has cost us several goals from a wide defending position into a more central one?

I’m going for 1, 3, 3, 4 for testing the microphone, as I’ll do this team selection thing once and once only as it’s a waste of time and some folk clearly have more time to waste than others.

Eddy Grant – Might start singing “Baby Come Back” if he punches the ball and the ball starts spinning in the wrong direction again.

Kimberly Warnock – Under the stage name ”Tiffany” might start singing “I Think We’re Alone Now” if one ends up in the changing rooms early doors for seeing another pointless red card aka Reading game.

Orla Keogh – The Xfactor who looks like some sort of Scandinavian goddess for the alternative set. With her long, blue-grey hair, tattoos and patterned jumpsuit, Orla looks like someone you’d buy two or three records from, even if her voice doesn’t quite blow you away………….ermmm obviously.

Bill Forsyth – Might play like any of the girls out of “Gregory’s Girl”, could be the “Local Hero” and might even bring “Comfort and Joy”

Hanson – Might play “Middle of Nowhere”, but could take a corner, and before you know it the crowd could be “Rockin Robin” again, and singing “Johhny B Goode” for some other bloke

Jimi Hendrick – “Are You Experienced” international star that, although his mainstream career might span only four years due to the lack of tracking back, or doing anything when there. Regularly missing in a “Purple Haze”

Bill Bryson – Likes to travel all over the place, can be quite funny, can score 3 in one game and “I’m A Stranger Here Myself” in another.

Robin Ince – Could be in Australia instead of playing for the England U21’s, but more likely to be in Hull where he’ll see a bit more culture or on the radio for “Tears of A Clown”

Chris Martin – “Magic” one that always gives everything, reads the game, he’s “Bigger Stronger” he “Don’t Panic” he will “Fix You” and he will “God Put a Smile upon Your Face” so “Everything’s Not Lost”

We’ve been “Lost!” without him, “So Sad” he’s been out so long, but it’s “Such a Rush” to have him back, and “What If” we still go up, will he still wear our “Yellow” strip, “Yes” let’s hope so  

Andy Russell – “What a Diff’rence a Day Made” at Wigan, got them crosses in and “Amor” and “Besame Mucho” more please.

Bent – electronica act from Nottingham in England, interested in their own “Private Road”, and “Bank”, needs a clip round the “Thick Ear” to get motivated and can easily fall back into a “Silent Life”

Right team picked, time for lunch.

​I agree 100% on the shape and front 4.

I'm currently Stateside so you'll have to help me out... How did the defense play on Monday? I ask because I've been thinking Hanson and Hendrick as the two deeper MF roles with the Same back 4 as Monday... however, I do like the look of your team there.

Archived