Give that head a wobble, arrogance, mini rant

Day

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my experience Derby never do things the easy way. But why is there suddenly a huge drop in patience? This is probably the most exciting season for years. I may be wrong here, but even in our 70's glory days, were we run away title winners? Champions by one point? Was everyone behind the team then?

1 point. We currently sit 1 point from top and somehow that is unacceptable? Enjoy it, could well come down to the last game of the season and whilst totally nerve destroying would be a damn fine thing to remember.

Up the rams!!!!

@Daveo good post, if only you put the same thought and effort into designing the forum :ph34r:

Hilarious banter aside, I completely agree with you. The irony is that before these games it feels like it's the same posters arrogantly predicting a win as those after the game stating we're terrible and will end up mid-table! Make your mind up fellas! The sensationalism at times on here is laughable, frustration or not I genuinely don't think either extreme is helpful for anyone, least of all the players. They must be able to pick up both the hype and the criticism in equal measure, I can't see either being that helpful to be honest.

As for your point @TroyDyer, fair play if you rant on here and then support every single player wholeheartedly when at the games. Sadly, though I don't think you're in the majority there. The tension can be cut with a knife sometimes and one 'unsuccessful' half or shaky performance from a scapegoat player almost always results in a growing vocal outburst against said player / the team. Frustration maybe but a lot of fans have their pet hate players and it feels like they're almost morbidly delighted when they're proved 'right'. It's funny that the same fans rarely praise their favourite's scapegoat for the good things they do, of which there must be a fair amount because, oh look, we're second in one of the most competitive leagues in the world...

Whilst our support against Fulham was large and everyone bounced around, the culture of our support has changed from when I started going to games. It's all random bouncing and chanting boy scout style songs these days, it's rarely ever linked to the actual action on the pitch and feels more like a lads weekend to Prague than it does going to support / watch the football. I'm not trying to be overly nostalgic or critical, I just don't really understand the disconnect between going to watch the footy and vocally supporting the side and the amorphous blob randomly bouncing around and singing generic* songs. Each to their own though obviously, I'm clearly in the old school minority that believes 'We are Derby, super Rams' and 'Derby, Derby, Derby...' are more effective and it would be better if people actually watched the match and fed off the energy and action on the pitch.

*for 'generic' read ****

The only thing I've been angry at is our misfortune in Martin and Thorne being injured. Two of the three most influential players in our squad (Hughes the other) getting injured is horribly unfortunate. But yes, I agree that people's reactions are crazy. I skim most posts when we lose and just read the posters who have a balanced view like Ambitious.

​I am not angry at the misfortune of them being injured, that is just bad luck and it can happen. However I am angry that no like for like replacement for Martin was ever identified as absolutely critical to our success. They clearly went out of their way to replace Thorne (don't forget Mascarell was initially treated as a masterstroke) but not Martin, why not? Bent doesn't count in this regard, he cannot come close to filling the Martin role and without Martin (or like for like replacement) our entire system of play is compromised.

There is great debate in this thread - a good read. 

At some point last night when we were firmly camped in Brighton's half with attack after attack, I  did wonder whether we might sit back a bit more and try to protect the point but of course we don't play like that, which is why we are so exciting to watch but also why we are also going to concede goals.

Anyone who is reading the match by match review of the 1974-75 season in The Ram will similarly know what a roller coaster of a season that was. That time we came out on top eventually and it was a wonderful time for those of us who were there. It was my first season watching Derby and I thought life was always going to be like that. Ha!

I hope we get the same overall result this season as then but if we don't I still want to watch us play like we do. 

1-0 wins playing like crap are Billy Davies' speciality. Been there, done that. I thought we played really well last night and although I am gutted as usual by the loss I am reassured by the performance. 

And @​RodleyRam I too have noticed how many fans don't actually watch the football, really strange to me but I  imagine people go to the match for a variety of reasons. The men sitting behind me at the iPro go for a chat with each other about how Chelsea are playing! 

We go into games like Fulham and Brighton, lose. After the game the initial comments are that's 3 points dropped, we should be beating teams like that. Really? arrogant much? take it you haven't watched much Championship football over the years to realise how crazy this league is, we shouldn't expect to beat any team.

Later when more trickle online the team is analysed and ripped to shreds, turns out we're actually pretty ****, the defence is **** (only 3 teams have conceded less all season), everything is **** and the season's over, we'll be lucky to make the play offs, Premiership you're having a laugh, Bob hope of us beating Norwich when we can't beat Brighton or Fulham....so you can predict the future can you? have you got this weeks lottery numbers please, could do with a few quid.

Saturday comes and the expectation levels will be high to beat Birmingham, why? we're **** remember and we couldn't even beat Brighton and Fulham, Birmingham are higher in the table than those two, nailed on defeat shouldn't it be?

What makes me laugh the most is some of those with the loudest voices after a defeat hate the Premier League, Championship is far better league to be in. A defeat is a fantastic result for us isn't it?!

Give your head a wobble jeeez, we're 2nd in the league not 20th, we're not ****, the season isn't over we have 11 games to play for 33 points on offer. Absolutely no reason at all why we won't go on another unbeaten run starting Saturday and Norwich's won't end tonight.

We're not the only club to have "dropped points" at the top and we won't be the last.

Wasn't long ago the talk was Bournemouth were going to walk the league and wouldn't drop a single point, look how that one turned out. 

Archived