Give that head a wobble, arrogance, mini rant

Day

There is great debate in this thread - a good read. 

At some point last night when we were firmly camped in Brighton's half with attack after attack, I  did wonder whether we might sit back a bit more and try to protect the point but of course we don't play like that, which is why we are so exciting to watch but also why we are also going to concede goals.

Anyone who is reading the match by match review of the 1974-75 season in The Ram will similarly know what a roller coaster of a season that was. That time we came out on top eventually and it was a wonderful time for those of us who were there. It was my first season watching Derby and I thought life was always going to be like that. Ha!

I hope we get the same overall result this season as then but if we don't I still want to watch us play like we do. 

1-0 wins playing like crap are Billy Davies' speciality. Been there, done that. I thought we played really well last night and although I am gutted as usual by the loss I am reassured by the performance. 

And @​RodleyRam I too have noticed how many fans don't actually watch the football, really strange to me but I  imagine people go to the match for a variety of reasons. The men sitting behind me at the iPro go for a chat with each other about how Chelsea are playing! 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes they are. A good, hard working team desperate to be successful. 

Shame the fans think winning is a formality and that if we lose its because typical footballers are to busy buying cars and dating models. 

The "support" is abysmal. We celebrate but we don't support. Well, certainly not at home.  Celebrate or moan.

Obviously the last decade has made us accustomed to being a top side...

If Bent was one of them identified as a Martin replacement then Evans wasn't doing his job properly. As you say Bent cannot do the Martin role and thus to fit him in to the team we would have to change our very successful system. 

The truth is there is not many players who can be like Martin which we can get. Especially ones which can score goals what are we going to do go for a player whos awful but can hold the ball up Bents done great to be fair.

What also makes me laugh is after a home game the forum is filled with posts like.....

Did you go to the game?

Can't talk about games you've only listened to on the radio, you need to have been there

Oh so you watched on TV/stream? you still didn't see the full game so your opinion is invalid

How many went to Brighton last night, around 1000 wasn't it?...well I'm going to sit here and only read posts prefixed with "I went last night and..." because all these knee jerk we're **** posts are invalid right?

The only thing I've been angry at is our misfortune in Martin and Thorne being injured. Two of the three most influential players in our squad (Hughes the other) getting injured is horribly unfortunate. But yes, I agree that people's reactions are crazy. I skim most posts when we lose and just read the posters who have a balanced view like Ambitious.

​there's no such position as a 'Martin' position and you're just being a pain in the ****and annoying by making an issue out of something that there is no easy solution to. Every player is unique and no player is identical to a potential replacement.

Is Bony the same as Aguero, or Dzeko at Man City? Is Rooney the same as Van Persie, or Falcao at Man United? Is Drogba the same as Costa, or Remy at Chelsea? I don't need you to answer that, because I know the answer.

Stop looking for problems that aren't there. We didn't win against Fulham because the whole team underperformed, NOT because we didn't have a direct like for like replacement for Martin. We didn't lose against Brighton because we didn't have a like for like either, it was because we didn't convert chances as a team and we didn't defend well. 

Having Martin would not definitively have altered the results in those two games so get a grip. Signing Bent has been a coup so for you to criticise it for being NOT a Martin-esque player shows complete ignorance!

Archived