Striker dilemma

Kernow

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

442        Ince and Russell upfront with Will in the hole behind them to hold the ball and put passes through the defence for them to run onto.    This will also discipline Will who seems to see getting a yellow as being a badge of honour.

Our lack of Martin was always going to be as difficult as we feared but was covered by Will in the rest of that game and has been masked since by Thorne holding the ball and putting long passes through. 

In all seriousness though, I'm worried how we can even think to be playing our normal game without a recognised striker who can play in that role (and is used to doing so). Forcing Russell or someone else to change his usual game to fit in that position will end in disaster.

TobyWanKenobi

Thomas, McDonald, Vernam. They are all potentially our future, start one of them and stick one of the others on the bench for a game.

I think 442 looks the sensible option - and I'd play Ward and Russell up front.

If Steve persists with 433, I would say that the best option for the centre is Dawkins. He's pretty strong and can hold the ball up - unfortunately, it's about all he can do, but it just might work.

I hope we don't rush Martin back. I'd rather wait until he's healed properly and lose the next two games than throw him in too soon and lose most of the last ten.

I wonder if Chris Evans is desperately looking at his list of big centre-forwards trying to find another loanee?

It does amaze me that our whole system relies upon Martin and yet a like for like replacement for him was never identified as a key signing. Everything else seems so meticulously done, yet gambling that he doesn't get injured seems madness.

I think the fact they interviewed Russell post Fulham could be significant. He's the most likely to start, with Thomas on the bench if it's not working. No way they would start Thomas - completely unfair to heap that pressure on him, given he's never started a game before and we've been giving it the "time to set the record straight" bravado

Alternatively - I suspect that Chrissy "I always score against Brighton" Martin might be working especially hard in training this week...

I think 442 looks the sensible option - and I'd play Ward and Russell up front.

If Steve persists with 433, I would say that the best option for the centre is Dawkins. He's pretty strong and can hold the ball up - unfortunately, it's about all he can do, but it just might work.

I hope we don't rush Martin back. I'd rather wait until he's healed properly and lose the next two games than throw him in too soon and lose most of the last ten.

I wonder if Chris Evans is desperately looking at his list of big centre-forwards trying to find another loanee?

Sith Happens

Im looking forward to seeing a new combination up front. I like Chris Martin, suits our play. Bent, im not convinced about, yes hes scored goals, and important ones, but he doesnt hold up the ball like Chris Martin does...when hes not scoring im not convinced what value hes adding . That may be harsh, but its how i see it. Whereas martin can go games not scoring but clearly adding value to the team.

Archived