Striker dilemma

Kernow

Im looking forward to seeing a new combination up front. I like Chris Martin, suits our play. Bent, im not convinced about, yes hes scored goals, and important ones, but he doesnt hold up the ball like Chris Martin does...when hes not scoring im not convinced what value hes adding . That may be harsh, but its how i see it. Whereas martin can go games not scoring but clearly adding value to the team.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What really annoys me is that whoever we bring in to be a Martin back-up, is expected to play like Martin. 

I have seen very few strikers in my short time who can get the ball down and distribute it in 2-3 touches. Best and Bent never have been, and never will be that type of striker. They like to play on the shoulder of the CBs, feed off through balls and run at the defense. Which Bent nearly scored from twice vs. Chesterfield. 

Maybe Kwame Thomas has been trained to try and emulate Martin's style? Some comments from Notts County fans would suggest so. Give him a try - who knows, he might follow Hughes' progression (unlikely I know).

Speaking of forwards, is Mason still injured?

Any of the forwards would be acceptable for me. I'd be half-tempted to suggest Hendrick as he has a bit of height and been shown to be half decent in the box.

Our midfield has really got to press high up the pitch. We're going to need our forward player to have a lot of support. If we have to play the 'false 9' then so be it.

Mason is still coming back from injury.  

Our attack is so reliant on Chrissie taking, holding and passing the ball that the wide men seem to run on regardless and no-one wants to take on responsibility for the ball.. Which is why our midfield has gone missing ...................

We all knew losing Martin was potential disaster. Which was one reason we screamed for a Plan B ie a different way of playing. What we have is an augmented Plan A and this is now no help.

​Thomas maybe. Having watched Vernam and Zanzala in the U18 game against Man Utd at the weekend, both were well shackled by 18 year-old defenders, so I'd suggest they're not ready (Zanzala made more of an impression though). All I know about Shaquille is that he's a shoot on sight kind of guy. Of the youngsters, and given Bennett's injured, Thomas is by far the best option. It would be a big step up in a massive game, but it depends on what the coaches see on the training ground.

I'm a bit worried about it as there is a lot of pressure on the guy who takes over. Both Martin and Bent scored goals with regularity and I'm not convinced any of the names being put forward will.

If Thomas got the nod and had a lean spell, it would destroy his confidence. This is no time to blood a youngster with 12 games to go and goals / points badly needed. 

Let's not forget that was Russell's first game back too so he's not totally match fit yet.

Agree with Sagan. Kwame Thomas, even Zanzala, and we will be fine.  I am much more disturbed by the Thorne thing - losing sleep over it if I am being honest. If we had Thorne and Hughes with Bryson/Hendrick, we'd do fine regardless of front man. But no Thorne and no Martin, and I am getting jittery. Thomas is best positioned to fill the role as he's watched Martin, and he brings a bit of Bent and Martin all together. Give him 45 mins and if he is anonymous, then put Russell in. I am guessing Mac will go with JR at striker and keep Lingard and Ince as the wide men.

Russell has to pace, touch and finish to play as a striker, but he's no Chris Martin. To accommodate him, we need the tactics to suit and the play it into the anchor style football that works so well for us is unlikely to with JR up top. I'm sure SM knows this, so actually quite look forward to his approach. 

PistoldPete2

Imo we should have brought a striker on loan when martin got injured. Having only one fit striker in the squad is just crazy... Ok Russell ince and co can score goals but we need a central striker and oh boy do we miss chris Martin. Ince and bent got us out of jail against bournemouth , Rotherham and the wendies but not against Fulham and now without bent we are really struggling. 

Archived