Rotherham United v Derby County

AmericanRam

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotton is very bad at centre back. I'm guessing people are forgetting Middlesbrough, Norwich and Reading.

Norwich and Reading (Cup) were two of our worse individual performances this season. Shotton passed the ball to the Reading midfielder far, far too many times. 

I'd prefer Whitbread over Shotton at CB. 

Is it just me or does anyone else start reading the matchday threads from page 18?

The negative tosh of the FIFA 15 tactical officonados and Mystic Meg wannabes usually peters out after about page 19 when those who have attended the match usually turn up to post a bit of reality!

Anyway, rant over.............................I've imput the relevant league data into my 1965 copy of Charles Buchan's Football Monthly table predictor, the results, we get promoted on the last day of the season on goal difference!

On that prediction I'm going to start reading the May 2nd matchday thread from about page 138!

Again, I'm of the opinion that Buxton and Keogh ARE good enough. Therefore, I'm not the one who I said SHOULD be slating McClaren. 

McClaren obviously thinks they're good enough, otherwise he wouldn't have offered them news deals and he would have sold and replaced them. Simple as that, really. 

I understand there are better players in world football, don't get me wrong, but I think they're more than good enough for the level we're at. 

My point was the people who are ripping into Keogh, Buxton, Christie...etc need to blame the manager for playing them. It's not like they're new signings and he doesn't know what to expect. Them two, Grant and Forsyth have been ever-present in his team since day one here at Derby. 

He's had three transfer windows to find better replacements, and the way people talk on here that should be fairly straight forward. 

I just don't think he's focused too much on it because he's happy with what he has. Albentosa has obviously been brought in but he's started life in Derby trying to get fit and learn English. 

Buxton and Keogh will play the majority of our games this season, I have no doubts about that. 

Mac has to take the credit for some great displays and results this season.He also has to take the

blame when things go wrong,as has happened too many times this season.I agree with you that our

2 cb's are good enough for us.I'll even throw in Shotton as an adequate alternative cb.

So what's the problem? easy.Our lack of a defensive midfielder,cdm,holding player,call him what

you want.He stands in front of the back 4 and gives them all the protection he can.We have one

ageing,experianced,injury prone,lacks mobility- but nevertheless a warrior named John Eustace.

Knows what has to be done,and does it to the best of his ability,puts his body on the line.

Then we have Omar and we have Thorne.Who do we have on Saturday? Probably Omar.Thats our

problem,Steve should have sorted it after Thorne got injured,and didn't.It has cost us,and will do

so until Thorne gets 100% match fit,and up and running.

If people want to know the reasons for our up and down form,it's precisely that.

Mac has to take the credit for some great displays and results this season.He also has to take the

blame when things go wrong,as has happened too many times this season.I agree with you that our

2 cb's are good enough for us.I'll even throw in Shotton as an adequate alternative cb.

So what's the problem? easy.Our lack of a defensive midfielder,cdm,holding player,call him what

you want.He stands in front of the back 4 and gives them all the protection he can.We have one

ageing,experianced,injury prone,lacks mobility- but nevertheless a warrior named John Eustace.

Knows what has to be done,and does it to the best of his ability,puts his body on the line.

Then we have Omar and we have Thorne.Who do we have on Saturday? Probably Omar.Thats our

problem,Steve should have sorted it after Thorne got injured,and didn't.It has cost us,and will do

so until Thorne gets 100% match fit,and up and running.

If people want to know the reasons for our up and down form,it's precisely that.

So Greens goal was Omars fault is that right.

I think Omar was off it last night but the CBs take no responsibility for that 1st goal IYO.

The 2nd goal what was Grant doing was that Omars fault.

The 3rd was Omars fault.

Thorne will be an asset on his return if 100 percent fit of course he will.

Bucko fault for 1st goal  

2nd goal for them never a free kick Ince won the ball so how that a free kick ref?

3rd goal between Omar and Keogh.

Lingard class

Dawks looked like he's on something

Bent goal is what you need from him in the box he's quality

Bryson done brilliant

Green's goal was a result of ball watching - 3 trying to defend and still gets a free header, resulting in him getting the ball unmarked(!)

No idea what Grant's doing for the second - a shame to see a poor performance from Mr Consistent, but if that's his one bad game of the season, then fine by me. Everybody gets one.

For the third, weak header from Omar puts Keogh under pressure, and I think Grant should do better.

God, reading all that was a mission, it's taken me all morning, and I had to make sure all the sharp instruments and shoe laces were locked away.

Positives: No team wins every game in a season. Even premier league champions will loose a couple and draw a couple that they really should have won. I've predicted that we'll go unbeaten to the end of the season now, and I stand by that. Hopefully we won't draw them all.

Fantastic spirit to refuse to loose, but the poor performance seems like it was a bit of a perfect storm of cock ups and misfortune. Bear in mind they would have ben knackered from Saturday (so we can blame Warnock as much as anyone else), and a couple of guys made couple of individual mistakes, that they wouldn't normally make. **** happens. The fact that we managed to recovery is incredible.

Negatives: It seems clear to me that the defence has gone downhill since Eustace has been out. Bless Omar, I'm sure he's got a classy touch and all of that, but facts is facts. And, at the end of the day, he's not our player, and he's not likely to be. I'd much rather get Thorne back because I think he'll do the job better, and he's the one that will be with us for years to come (hopefully).

Granted, the defence have mistakes in them, even when they've not had a stinker, as they seemed to have last night. But every game there is something, and it's only a combination of great keeping or crap finishing that gives us such a good record. In the prem, these mistakes would be punished (as evidenced when we played Chelsea). However, in the championship, by and large, they won't, therefore our defence is more than good enough for where we are.

Ward - I've never warmed to him, but he put some good performance in at the start of the season. I was hoping he'd be able to come back at that standard. Maybe that was expecting too much. There are now far better alternatives, and he needs to make way for them I think.

Remember last season, when Eustace was playing so well, you couldn't possibly justify dropping him for Thorne, waiting patiently on the bench. Then he got suspended, Thorne got in, and he was a revelation, and (without wanting to disrespect Eustace) we were all wishing he'd got in weeks before. I'm hoping Albentosa will be like that. I wouldn't personally make the decision to drop Keogh, for all his mistakes, I think he's integral to how we attack from the back. But maybe a poor performance too many, by Bucko or Keogh, or a suspension will let Albentosa in when he gets his shoes sorted, and we'll be wondering why we didn't do this sooner.

Martin getting inured was a blessing in disguise, in a similar way. Bent may have never got much of a chance otherwise. But would Martin have got the goals that Bent did? We'll never know as they're very different strikers, but if we do have a chance of getting Bent (and Ince), I think he'll be our first choice in the prem, and I'm pleased that we're gradually getting this chance to evolve our Championship squad to the potential Prem squad. So now we're just looking at the defence to make that evolution.

I think when Mascarell and Christie are out of the side we will not concede as many goals.

Thorne and Shotton are the changes that need to happen for the good of the side.

Oh and Jamie Ward. Love the passion he puts across and you can see he gives everything for this club but at the end of the day he is just not good enough anymore.

Just flicked through a few more pages of this tosh after a good nights sleep. Thanks to Alpha for his dissection particularly of Valley Ram who I think must be half Scottish half Clingon. But the post of the last 12 hours goes to the ever sensible Jourdan who points out that we have had 6 wins, 3 draws and 1 (last minute) loss in our last 10 games. Promotion form. As the ratchet tightens over the coming weeks, and it will for all the teams, I will be very happy with another 21 from 30 return. Not only should it be enough to keep us in the automatics, it will keep all the wrist slashers, doomsayers, assorted loonies, Americans and the President of the Craig Bryson Appreciation Society right on the edge of their keyboards. Comedy gold.

Hey, what's wrong with Americans?!

Green's goal was a result of ball watching - 3 trying to defend and still gets a free header, resulting in him getting the ball unmarked(!)

No idea what Grant's doing for the second - a shame to see a poor performance from Mr Consistent, but if that's his one bad game of the season, then fine by me. Everybody gets one.

For the third, weak header from Omar puts Keogh under pressure, and I think Grant should do better.

That first goal is lazy. There must have been 5 players stood holding hands within 4m of Green. Not only did none of them stick with him or cover the back post but none of them even seemed to ask each other to do it. All of them ball gazing. Bad goal.

The second is not nice either. Bad header from Omar and then Keogh just expects the ball to stop in the face of his shiny white boots.

The third is just an error. Grant has earned that. No problem.

Could be a huge point.

To come back from 3-1 down is brilliant.

21 points from 10 games is and always will be promotion form. One loss is ten games doesn't translate into a crisis.

The whining is ridiculous.

Players will make mistakes and have occasional bad games, that will never change.

The squad is too good not to go up and has shown they bounce back from poor results (a point away!!) time and time again. 6 points from the next two homes games will make some posts on this thread look ridiculous.

The only team that can stop Derby getting promoted is Derby.

Is it just me or does anyone else start reading the matchday threads from page 18?

The negative tosh of the FIFA 15 tactical officonados and Mystic Meg wannabes usually peters out after about page 19 when those who have attended the match usually turn up to post a bit of reality!

Anyway, rant over.............................I've imput the relevant league data into my 1965 copy of Charles Buchan's Football Monthly table predictor, the results, we get promoted on the last day of the season on goal difference!

On that prediction I'm going to start reading the May 2nd matchday thread from about page 138!

I know what you mean OSR, but it was no different back in our day. Just been looking at my teleprinter copies from April 72. Losses to Newcastle and Man City, and a tame draw against the Albion had this forum in absolute meltdown. Eddie, Curtains, and a load of others were in a lather, posting each other letters, or leaving messages in the Popside bogs, but the Rams just about held their nerve, and fortunately so did the Wolves. It will all be ok OSR; not only will we be promoted we will be Champs.

If we averaged 19 points from 10 games over the season then we wouldn't finish in the top 2.

Just saying.

If we averaged 19 points from 10 games over the season then we wouldn't finish in the top 2.

Just saying.

How do you work that out? 19 points from 10 games is top 2 form gets 87 points which is promotion 90% of the time.

How do you work that out? 19 points from 10 games is top 2 form gets 87 points which is promotion 90% of the time.

Put it this way the most any team finished second was last year burnnley with 93. But they didn't need 93 points to finish 2nd they only needed 86 cos we got 85 itself more points than we've ever got in our history. F we get 87 points but again finish 3rd I would reckon we were the unluckiest team on the planet

Archived