Rotherham United v Derby County

AmericanRam

"Martin getting inured was a blessing in disguise, in a similar way. Bent may have never got much of a chance otherwise. But would Martin have got the goals that Bent did? We'll never know as they're very different strikers, but if we do have a chance of getting Bent (and Ince), I think he'll be our first choice in the prem, and I'm pleased that we're gradually getting this chance to evolve our Championship squad to the potential Prem squad. So now we're just looking at the defence to make that evolution." ( Tiger Tedd ) ..

Martin getting injured was certainly no blessing , in disguise or not ! A goalscorer Bent may be , but his overall contribution cannot begin to match that of Martin , and I would go so far as to say that , had we not lost Martin in the early stages of the Bournemouth game then we would have won both that game , and the Rotherham one too .. Will Hughes is in superb form at present , but without Martin to 'play off' we lose 10-20% of his effectiveness .. and I would go so far as to say that , if Martin is not back within 5 or 6 games , then our chances of the top two could well be gone , and it will be the 'edgy' play-offs we have to contend with ..

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shotton is very bad at centre back. I'm guessing people are forgetting Middlesbrough, Norwich and Reading.

Norwich and Reading (Cup) were two of our worse individual performances this season. Shotton passed the ball to the Reading midfielder far, far too many times. 

I'd prefer Whitbread over Shotton at CB. 

I agree Amb, but he'svery strong in the air, especially on our corners.  We don't see this much because he doesn't play the position a lot and when its down deep, he takes the long throw ins. If he was right back, on corners, we should have him Albentosa and Keogh all looking to score headers. I have a feeling Raul and Ryan could bag quite a few headed goals given the amount of corners we get. 

Mac has to take the credit for some great displays and results this season.He also has to take the

blame when things go wrong,as has happened too many times this season.I agree with you that our

2 cb's are good enough for us.I'll even throw in Shotton as an adequate alternative cb.

So what's the problem? easy.Our lack of a defensive midfielder,cdm,holding player,call him what

you want.He stands in front of the back 4 and gives them all the protection he can.We have one

ageing,experianced,injury prone,lacks mobility- but nevertheless a warrior named John Eustace.

Knows what has to be done,and does it to the best of his ability,puts his body on the line.

Then we have Omar and we have Thorne.Who do we have on Saturday? Probably Omar.Thats our

problem,Steve should have sorted it after Thorne got injured,and didn't.It has cost us,and will do

so until Thorne gets 100% match fit,and up and running.

If people want to know the reasons for our up and down form,it's precisely that.

So it all hinges on one player? Not the poor form of Hendrick and Bryson this season? Not Christie currently on a run of poor form? Not Forsyth taking over half the season to find his form of last season? Even the usually sublime Hughes was crap first half last night.

Some real bollaeux on this forum lately. Amazing how a good season seems to turn so many fans into complete idiots.

"Martin getting inured was a blessing in disguise, in a similar way. Bent may have never got much of a chance otherwise. But would Martin have got the goals that Bent did? We'll never know as they're very different strikers, but if we do have a chance of getting Bent (and Ince), I think he'll be our first choice in the prem, and I'm pleased that we're gradually getting this chance to evolve our Championship squad to the potential Prem squad. So now we're just looking at the defence to make that evolution." ( Tiger Tedd ) ..

Martin getting injured was certainly no blessing , in disguise or not ! A goalscorer Bent may be , but his overall contribution cannot begin to match that of Martin , and I would go so far as to say that , had we not lost Martin in the early stages of the Bournemouth game then we would have won both that game , and the Rotherham one too .. Will Hughes is in superb form at present , but without Martin to 'play off' we lose 10-20% of his effectiveness .. and I would go so far as to say that , if Martin is not back within 5 or 6 games , then our chances of the top two could well be gone , and it will be the 'edgy' play-offs we have to contend with ..

This is why we need Dawks on the pitch and playing around Bent, he can help with his ability to retain possession in the final third, which we have lost with Martin being out. 

To the right looking at the pic, there's a white board there...one guy sat by himself (missus felt sorry for) empty seat, missus, me, Pringle hater

So the baldy is the Pringle hater?

And you have a head shaped like a parsnip?

I find all the panic in this thread amusing...

15 games to go, one draw now won't ruin our chances, I'd say we are still the team which will take the other auto promotion place. Other is up to scratch. (or should I say Norwich for certainty...especially if they win their couple next games)

We are without a win in three, so big response is needed agains Sheff W. Sounds like quite a few players had mare, so we'll see fresh blood this Saturday. And with our current bench and players competitive situation, I find it very exciting indeed.

Having seen the highlights i'm still puzzled.

Their first goal looked like collective amnesia at the back.

Not sure why buxton has been blamed by some.

Even during the first half, we seem to have had plenty of chances to score.

Wardy could have scored on two occasions including one bad miss when their guy got injured.

Bent was inches away from scoring.

Ince scored.

From the clips it looks like we could easily have been ahead at half time.

The scariest thing is surely Grant flapping at crosses in the second half.

The second goal is purely down to him.

The third is just one of those things.....no different to the goals conceded at fulham away.

Even after our performance was supposedly transformed, they seemed to have plenty of chances to score.

Archived