Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

I'm not as taken by the performance as everyone else. Christie was really poor

You're playing a team well known for aerial ability and physical power. So we at every opportunity for the first 15 minutes put the ball in the air.

They had half chances before we had anything at all. Eustace, who was key to the hoofing for the first 15 minutes, should have been sent off before HT. He also threw in a hoof to Grant (wtf?)

70% pass completion isn't great.

48% of the ball against Ipswich isn't too hot either as they rarely control the ball.

We struggled to open them up

The positives though are that we did all the things that we aren't good at. We got physical. We usually give away a good chance but today we didn't. All half chances.

Showed a different side to us today. Last season we went there and played well and lost. Today we went and scrapped a win.

I just question some of the stupidity to put the ball in the air so often. Ironic the way we scored. Ipswich don't make mistakes. They aren't soft.

Massive result. Not worried about the performance as we get that right more often than not.

Can argue about Eustace v Mascarell all day but we need a bit of both. Which is why we're joint top. We use them both well.

Never stopped believing we'd finish top/top two. Still believe it.

Derby and Ipswich to go up

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A fantastic result & a very clinical performance. Although they looked lively for the first 10 mins, thereafter we had a measure of control throughout the entire match. Eustace's presence in the team was absolutely crucial to this - some people just don't appreciate his intelligence. He was constantly intercepting balls from the Ipswich midfield into their 2 strikers & was winning more than his fair share of headers. Ipswich totally ran out of ideas & Eustace sweeping up in front of the back 4 was an integral part of this.

Hughes was clear MOM for me though - whilst Eustace added the solidity, Hughes ran the show. We're very lucky to have someone with his technique, intelligence & potential at the club.

A fantastic result & a very clinical performance. Although they looked lively for the first 10 mins, thereafter we had a measure of control throughout the entire match. Eustace's presence in the team was absolutely crucial to this - some people just don't appreciate his intelligence. He was constantly intercepting balls from the Ipswich midfield into their 2 strikers & was winning more than his fair share of headers. Ipswich totally ran out of ideas & Eustace sweeping up in front of the back 4 was an integral part of this.

Hughes was clear MOM for me though - whilst Eustace added the solidity, Hughes ran the show. We're very lucky to have someone with his technique, intelligence & potential at the club.

Spot on, maybe this wasn't clear on the tv but in the stands it was pivotal to everything we did.

I've been watching Derby since my Dad lifted me over the Normanton End turnstile at the age of five- thats forty years. I became sick to death of Derby putting themselves under pressure when a goal up many years ago.  It is endemic at the club and occurs whatever manager, team, ground we played at. I even thought it was being perpetuated by Radio Derby, who's commentators would often urge Derby to get behind the ball and defend deep to after scoring a 30th minute goal.  Eustace's exit put our backs against the wall again for the end of the game, needlessly and it was obvious to anyone that it was coming.  I'm a great fan of Eustace and if he was playing well I could perhaps understand it, but he had a poor game today.  He played most of the game today simply lost. He gave the ball away, he floated around outside the area when we were defending like a Sunday Morning U11 player. He made two complete passes all game and nipped in to steal the ball once. There was absolutely no point whatsoever him coming out for the second half when we had CB and OM on the bench. We were extremely lucky to come away with a win. That fact that we did win does not hide the poor management decision SM took to keep him on.  

You need to watch the game again and count how many good interceptions Eustace made cos your numbers are wrong.

You should also ask whether Steve MacClaren deserves to be called a 'cretin' by you - your use of this adjective says far more about you and your attitude.

You say you are fed up with defensive strategies once we go one-up , yet Steve MacClaren has not been like this since the day he arrived. He is prepared to go for it unlike his predecessor. Today he was cautious with his use of subs and this was completely right and it meant we could substitue Jeff H after injury and adjust after Eustace's red card.

Steve and his team deserve much mpre credit that you are giving them.

Spot on, maybe this wasn't clear on the tv but in the stands it was pivotal to everything we did.

It was clear to me watching on TV that Eustace played well. But he is 35 and I think maybe could have taken him off not at half time but before the 91st minute when maybe tiredness was a factor in his mistimed tackle.   

Eustace was ace today. Keeping him on the full 90 with the benefit of hindsight obviously worked. Play that fixture again though I'd have took him off at half time, him carrying a yellow for that length of time and after the first half incident was very risky in my opinion. I worry how effective his game can be when he is already on a yellow given that his lack of pace can cause him to draw fouls. As I say, worked today and he was a big part of the win. I thought it inevitable he would go, just thankful it only left us short for 5 minutes.

Has Mick McCarthy given an interview? Would like his take on the game.If so,any links,anyone?

He basically said it was a poor game and should have been 0-0 but for a mistake by them.

Don't know if anyone's linked the highlights but they're on the Sky Sports match report page;

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9639710/sky-bet-championship-steve-mcclaren-praises-derby-after-win-at-ipswich

Don't want to go over what others have said, so will just say I thought Fozzy had his best game in a long while today, while Christie seems to be slipping a bit, sometimes switches off completely at the back, hopefully he'll find form soon, as he's still learning the game.

I think people are being a bit dismissive of Ipswich. We only won by 1 and if Derby were judged by the Middlesbrough game then we would look like relegation fodder. Great win but I think ipswich will be in the play offs or there about... definitely more optimistic about our chances after that display though... Bring on Forest :)

Very good win. Hughes stood out for me so composed on the ball and great vision. Honestly can't remember the last time we had a player of his ability/potential let alone an ex youth teamed. All positive signs when you've got the quality of Darren Bent sat on the bench. Also thought Eustace did a job Mascarell couldn't of done today and did well to stop on aslong as he did. Bring on the Gumps !!!

Archived