Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I don't, but neither do I see the need to be relentlessly negative about it. Highly incorrect is only your viewpoint. I for one don't think we were hanging on for dear life at the end at all. They had the sort of possession and pressure you'd expect in injury time, we handled it very well. Defending is as much as a skill as anything else in the game, but sorry we didn't play wonderful football and win 5-0.

I'm not meaning to sound negative. On the contrary, it was a great win.

I am however negative about the folks on here who are utterly biased in their match reporting.

The FLS editor showed his priorities by making sure both of Eustace's booking were shown but none of Derby's off-target attempts.The game stats were not refelcted by the FLS editor at all.

We won because of Martin's clinical finishing and because our mid-field passed and kept the ball so well. You must have seen (assuming you have seen the whole match)that our tactics were not  the gung-ho attacking that we have sometimes seen away from home to our cost. Every player, even Ibe was clear about the need to do defending when necessary. We frustrated them and MacClaren got his tactics spot-on. That Ipswich made our keeper make more saves doesn't mean we didn't deserve to win. Quite a few Ipswich fans are posting elsewhere that we out-classed them - its not just a blinkered Derby fans view.

Finally, can you please tell us precisely where the ball hit Keogh in the penalty incident - just so we are clear.

From the replays I have seen, the ball appeared to make contact with a part of Keogh's arm.

That for me is handball.

If I was shown a conclusive replay in which the ball didn't strike his arm then I stand corrected.

Mcsilks...........you need to look atthat again and read about what is a penalty and im not being condescending with that.

As I said buddy, It's all about opinions and mine may well be wrong but on the replays I have seen, it appeared pretty clear cut.

As I said buddy, It's all about opinions and mine may well be wrong but on the replays I have seen, it appeared pretty clear cut.

It is yes,about different opinions.

And I honestly cant believe how you can say that.

Theres not many decisions I get hot under collar about lol,but think im so mad as the stream commentator was supposed to be unbiased and he was 100% behind Ipswich.....really got on my nerves.

Someone else who is getting to me is ramages clear biase towards Eustace,who on radio was saying he shouldn't have been sent off when he should have gone even earlier....this folks are paid to have a good perspective on the game and there were some pretty clear things yesterday that were obvious as the nose on you face yet people cant see it gggrrrrrrr rant over lol.

From the replays I have seen, the ball appeared to make contact with a part of Keogh's arm.

That for me is handball.

If I was shown a conclusive replay in which the ball didn't strike his arm then I stand corrected.

You miss my point - I don't think the Tv replays give a clear view at all. So which part of his arm in YOUR view of it?

Its relevant since 'unnatural arms positions' and where the ball hits are relevant to the refs decision. Radio Derby stated at the time that it was a penalty  but I'm not sure what their view would have been. Did the ref think it hit Keogh's chest or did he see it hit his arm? It wouldn't deffo be a penalty even if it hit his arm! Hence the Steve Claridge view!

You miss my point - I don't think the Tv replays give a clear view at all. So which part of his arm in YOUR view of it?

Its relevant since 'unnatural arms positions' and where the ball hits are relevant to the refs decision. Radio Derby stated at the time that it was a penalty  but I'm not sure what their view would have been. Did the ref think it hit Keogh's chest or did he see it hit his arm? It wouldn't deffo be a penalty even if it hit his arm! Hence the Steve Claridge view!

My view is that the ball hit a part of his arm.

The ref has to make a split second decision and it looked to all the world like the ball hit his arm.

That for me is handball.

Sorry but that's just wrong.

It has to be deliberate in the opinion of the referee. It says so in the laws of the game.

It is not enough for the ball to strike the arm.

The guidance given to referees in the official FIFA Laws of the Game says:

The referee must take the following into consideration:

• the movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards the hand)

• the distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected ball)

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement 

The referee considers the above but it is not enough even for the hand to move towards the ball. That in itself is not an indication that the handball is deliberate.

The question the referee will ask himself is not 'Did the ball hit his arm?' but 'Did the player deliberately divert the ball with his arm?' If he cannot in his own mind answer 'yes' to that, he cannot give a penalty.

Most co-comentators and alleged experts either do not know the laws of the game or wilfully misrepresent them for their own purposes. I suspect that most players have never read them.

It has to be deliberate in the opinion of the referee. It says so in the laws of the game.

Thanks Andy very helpful. I always thought a handball had to be deliberate, but was confused cos I've seen penos given when the ball just hit the hand.

Keogh's penalty thing wasn't a penalty, it wasn't deliberate handball because it wasn't deliberate and it wasn't a handball. Apart from that it was a stonewall penalty.

• the position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an infringement 

The referee considers the above but it is not enough even for the hand to move towards the ball. That in itself is not an indication that the handball is deliberate.

The question the referee will ask himself is not 'Did the ball hit his arm?' but 'Did the player deliberately divert the ball with his arm?' If he cannot in his own mind answer 'yes' to that, he cannot give a penalty.

Most co-comentators and alleged experts either do not know the laws of the game or wilfully misrepresent them for their own purposes. I suspect that most players have never read them.

Was at the game yesterday sat in the Ipswich stand and almost directly opposite the "handball" incident. Had a clear view and the ball quite clearly brushed Keoghs chest as he tried to avoid it hitting his arm. Definitely not a penalty.

Saw the FLS this morning and the camera angle is by no means conclusive so I can understand why some people may think otherwise. Thought McCarthy's comments on the FLS show were laughable.

The highlights on the FLS gave the impression it was all Ipswich which is totally wrong. Apart from the beginning of each half and added time Derby were the better team and ran the midfield; hence why McCarthy subbed most of his midfield and quite early in the second half.

Mc ? .

The handball...............Your not serious are you ???!!.

I watched the match on a stream online and the commentator on their was defo a homer,he wouldnlt stop going on about they were robbed of a penalty esp when they went behind.

In my opinion and im quite angry at how people can think that was a penalty.

He was leaning back the arm was moving AWAY from the ball NOT TOWARDS the ball and if you watch it closely its quite debateable if it ever hit his arm at all.To me I think it hit his stomach.But lets say it did.....in no way was that an intentional arm or hand towards ball....it wasn't even a block as Keoghs limbs were all trying to move out of the way.How people can say it was a peno is beyond me and its Ipswich fans who should take the blinkers off to me.

Now if we want to go on about Eustace who defo got away with being sent of much earlier and poss a game changer and seeing Ipswich win well there I think they have a point.

completely agree! i don't think any replay ive seen make it clear...

Was at the game yesterday sat in the Ipswich stand and almost directly opposite the "handball" incident. Had a clear view and the ball quite clearly brushed Keoghs chest as he tried to avoid it hitting his arm. Definitely not a penalty.

Saw the FLS this morning and the camera angle is by no means conclusive so I can understand why some people may think otherwise. Thought McCarthy's comments on the FLS show were laughable.

The highlights on the FLS gave the impression it was all Ipswich which is totally wrong. Apart from the beginning of each half and added time Derby were the better team and ran the midfield; hence why McCarthy subbed most of his midfield and quite early in the second half.

I just watched the derby highlights and the forest ones too. Claridge was spot on with his damning of McCarthys comments followed by his analysis of Chris Martin and how we play. I quite like him but I know he's not popular on here.

McCarthy's comments on pen if you haven't heard them...basically it's a pen, he tried to get his arm out of the way but didn't quite manage it. Mental.

I just watched the derby highlights and the forest ones too. Claridge was spot on with his damning of McCarthys comments followed by his analysis of Chris Martin and how we play. I quite like him but I know he's not popular on here.

McCarthy's comments on pen if you haven't heard them...basically it's a pen, he tried to get his arm out of the way but didn't quite manage it. Mental.

That's the very epitome of 'not a penalty'

Thanks Andy very helpful.Must admit i was confused by the handball rule always thought it had to be deliberate but seen plenty given when it was just ball to hand. For the Keogh penalty thing, wasn't a penalty , it was not a penalty, not a deliberate handball cos it wasnt deliberate and it wasnt handball. Apart from that a stonewall penalty.  

Archived