Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to intrude but as one of our promotion rivals wanted to give a few thoughts on todays encounter.

The game was disappointing in that it didn't quite live up to expectation and the referee didn't have the best of afternoons.  Was maybe a little inexperienced in being given a fixture of such importance, although maybe trying to put blame somewhere.

We only had a little over 20,000 today, was hoping for a good many more but fans put off by a stupid start time and the presence of Sky television, we will probably get a bigger gate for the Southampton replay in a week or so.

I'll concede and admit that Derby are most likely better equipped for a return to the EPL but we'll continue to fight until the end and hope to at least grab a play-off shot by end of season. - Many on our board think a promotion was already a done deal before today so what occured offered some perspective.

While I have no obvious allegiance to your club I'd favor you over Nottingham Forest and Derby are a well established and recognized soccer team with league titles in the recent past so I'll take this opportunity to wish you well for the remainder of the season.

Shouldn't really say that as a supporter of a rival promotion team but we'll put the fate of our respective clubs in the hands of the gods and see what occurs from here on.  We've been stuck in the second division for 10 overdue years and this season has been a real surprise after the crap we've had before with Keane and Jewell etc and we want to get back to the top level and at least have given ourselves a real opportunity to once again do something.

Regards

Sorry to intrude but as one of our promotion rivals wanted to give a few thoughts on todays encounter.

The game was disappointing in that it didn't quite live up to expectation.

That depends what your expectations are.

We haven't had a good record at Portman Rd so we'd have probably settled for a draw beforehand.

For us the result was a great boost after disappointing away performances at Leeds and Boro.

I think this game was similar to Boro except that we made the error in that game and went 1-0 down early on which panicked us into a stupid tactical change far too early.

This time we benefited from your error to sneak the win.

It was a forgettable match but a memorable result.

Like how according to the football league show our only chance was the one we scored from :angry:

I wasn't aware we had any clear cut scoring chances. I cannot remember their keeper making a single save in the entire 90 minutes.

They undoubtedly had the better chances albeit we probably shaded the possession.

It must have taken the football league show all of about 2 minutes to put together the highlight reel from the game.

I wasn't aware we had any clear cut scoring chances. I cannot remember their keeper making a single save in the entire 90 minutes.

They undoubtedly had the better chances albeit we probably shaded the possession.

It must have taken the football league show all of about 2 minutes to put together the highlight reel from the game.

I don't remember many chances on the whole. Ipswich had a couple of 'opportunities' from set pieces but rarely worked Grant. I think he had just three saves to make in the whole match and all three strikes were relatively easy.

As for us, you're right, I don't remember much other than Martin's goal and Russell's weak shot for those that were on target.

We had plenty of opportunities to make more of what we had though. Christie fired over with a clear sight of goal, Russell's free-kick on the edge of the box which went wide, Martin's header which drifted over and Ibe's cut-back which was inviting.

In fact, in the first half we arguably had the clearest chance of the game when if Russell had dumbied Hendrick's ball in then Martin would have had a tap-in. Instead, Russell took it on and Berra blocked his shot from about eight yards out.

I don't remember many chances on the whole. Ipswich had a couple of 'opportunities' from set pieces but rarely worked Grant. I think he had just three saves to make in the whole match and all three strikes were relatively easy.

As for us, you're right, I don't remember much other than Martin's goal and Russell's weak shot for those that were on target.

We had plenty of opportunities to make more of what we had though. Christie fired over with a clear sight of goal, Russell's free-kick on the edge of the box which went wide, Martin's header which drifted over and Ibe's cut-back which was inviting.

In fact, in the first half we arguably had the clearest chance of the game when if Russell had dumbied Hendrick's ball in then Martin would have had a tap-in. Instead, Russell took it on and Berra blocked his shot from about eight yards out.

Ipswich had the clearest two chances of the whole game. The first when they should have taken the lead when they had a one on one and shot straight at Grant and the free header when they were chasing the game.

If the tables were turned and we were the home side, many Rams fans would have said we'd been absolutely robbed. Just on chances created, they were the better side and don't forget, the Keogh handball was as clear cut a penalty as you are ever likely to see.

We were hanging on for dear life in that last few minutes.

I wish folks on this site would at times try to take off their rose-tinted glasses and see the games for how they are.

Ipswich had the clearest two chances of the whole game. The first when they should have taken the lead when they had a one on one and shot straight at Grant and the free header when they were chasing the game.

If the tables were turned and we were the home side, many Rams fans would have said we'd been absolutely robbed. Just on chances created, they were the better side and don't forget, the Keogh handball was as clear cut a penalty as you are ever likely to see.

I wish folks on this site would at times try to take off their rose-tinted glasses and see the games for how they are.

I wish sometimes some folks on this site would appreciate the efforts of the players a bit more. We've gone away to a promotion rival who are above us in the league, who have a formidable home record, the league's top scorer and who play a style of football we have struggled with.

We've won and kept a clean sheet.

Why that's not enough for some is beyond me.

I wish sometimes some folks on this site would appreciate the efforts of the players a bit more. We've gone away to a promotion rival who are above us in the league, who have a formidable home record, the league's top scorer and who play a style of football we have struggled with.

We've won and kept a clean sheet.

Why that's not enough for some is beyond me.

I think it's great and well done the Rams.

That is not my point. My point is that folks on here are biased to the point of giving highly incorrect match reports.

Why am I failing to appreciate the players by saying our opposition carved out the better chances?

I am being a realist. I guess like many others, you live in your own small world believing we were much the better side, had all the best chances and thoroughly deserved the win.

Mc ? .

The handball...............Your not serious are you ???!!.

I watched the match on a stream online and the commentator on their was defo a homer,he wouldnlt stop going on about they were robbed of a penalty esp when they went behind.

In my opinion and im quite angry at how people can think that was a penalty.

He was leaning back the arm was moving AWAY from the ball NOT TOWARDS the ball and if you watch it closely its quite debateable if it ever hit his arm at all.To me I think it hit his stomach.But lets say it did.....in no way was that an intentional arm or hand towards ball....it wasn't even a block as Keoghs limbs were all trying to move out of the way.How people can say it was a peno is beyond me and its Ipswich fans who should take the blinkers off to me.

Now if we want to go on about Eustace who defo got away with being sent of much earlier and poss a game changer and seeing Ipswich win well there I think they have a point.

That is not my point. My point is that folks on here are biased to the point of giving highly incorrect match reports.

Why am I failing to appreciate the players by saying our opposition carved out the better chances?

I am being a realist. I guess like many others, you live in your own small world believing we were much the better side, had all the best chances and thoroughly deserved the win.

Can't resist the urge to insult, can you?

The FLS editor showed his priorities by making sure both of Eustace's booking were shown but none of Derby's off-target attempts.The game stats were not refelcted by the FLS editor at all.

We won because of Martin's clinical finishing and because our mid-field passed and kept the ball so well. You must have seen (assuming you have seen the whole match)that our tactics were not  the gung-ho attacking that we have sometimes seen away from home to our cost. Every player, even Ibe was clear about the need to do defending when necessary. We frustrated them and MacClaren got his tactics spot-on. That Ipswich made our keeper make more saves doesn't mean we didn't deserve to win. Quite a few Ipswich fans are posting elsewhere that we out-classed them - its not just a blinkered Derby fans view.

Finally, can you please tell us precisely where the ball hit Keogh in the penalty incident - just so we are clear.

No I don't, but neither do I see the need to be relentlessly negative about it. Highly incorrect is only your viewpoint. I for one don't think we were hanging on for dear life at the end at all. They had the sort of possession and pressure you'd expect in injury time, we handled it very well. Defending is as much as a skill as anything else in the game. In my mind credit for seeing it out, not criticism for hanging on.

Archived