Ipswich Town v Derby County

Day

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I remember from pre-Premiership football, there was a lot fewer handball penalties in them days. Are the refs, esp in the Prem, now told to give as many as possible to get more goals and more excitement. Idiot commentators follow suit with their expert analysis consisting of if it catches an arm at any point then it must be a pen.

Perhaps refs think they are on safer ground if they always give them. If a ball has hit an arm is often objective, so if they give it they have something right ie ball hit arm. If it is actually a pen is usually subjective so the ref hasn't made a clear mistake.

the Keogh handball was as clear cut a penalty as you are ever likely to see.

It was hardly clear cut. It would need to be unanimously agreed by everyone after countless replays that it was a penalty. One commentator thought it was, the other wasn't so sure. They weren't sure on the FLS either.

Keogh was already throwing himself towards the ball and turned his body to pull his arm away from the ball. It may have clipped his arm/shoulder and could well have been given but it wasn't clear cut.

It was hardly clear cut. It would need to be unanimously agreed by everyone after countless replays that it was a penalty. One commentator thought it was, the other wasn't so sure. They weren't sure on the FLS either.

Keogh was already throwing himself towards the ball and turned his body to pull his arm away from the ball. It may have clipped his arm/shoulder and could well have been given but it wasn't clear cut.

Even Mick McCarthy doesn't reckon it was a penalty.  He might not be aware he thinks that, but he clearly believed that Keogh was trying to move his arm away from the ball, so by definition it can't be deliberate handball.

And having watched Eustace's first booking again, I think he is fouled first.  It's a bit hard to see on the footage on the FLS, but it looks like he's levered out of the way by McGoldrick first, before he pulls McGoldrick back. He certainly believed he was fouled at the time.

I'd prefer to be misrepresented as lucky. That way teams will come to us with a mindset that they can win. When that happens, we win.

I'm not that bothered by how others perceive us. Most people don't perceive us at all and certainly won't do it from the Football League show coverage.

They showed all our goals and didn't show any of Ipswich's.

Football League show started off the goal analysis by saying conditions were to blame for Ipswich "giving" Derby that goal. lol Fair play though by stating it was not a penalty earlier on...and rightly so.

Claridge actually spoke  lot of sense about us last night, was quite impressed        :lol:

Grant- 8                     Pulled off a few good saves, especially one late on from

Forsyth- 6                 Solid defensively but distribution was poor again

Keogh- 7                   Did well preventing penalty being given and generally solid.

Buxton- 7                  Also solid

Christie- 7                 Sometimes out of position but offered more going forward

Eustace- 7                Did well breaking up play and took one for the team with the red.

Hendrick- 8               Best performance from him in a long while, dictated play in the middle alongside Will.

Hughes- 8.5              Another awesome performance, composed on the ball and rarely gave it away.

Ibe-7                         A few good runs into the box with crosses but lacked consistency.

Russell- 7                 Did well when he got in front of his man and made diagonal runs.

Martin- 8                  With limited service did well, very well taken goal to win us the game.

Claridge actually spoke  lot of sense about us last night, was quite impressed        :lol:

I was a bit taken back when I heard what he said. I used Sky+ to rewind it three or four times just to make sure. I finally agreed with him about something. Had to go and have a lie down after that.

Grant- 8                     Pulled off a few good saves, especially one late on from

Forsyth- 6                 Solid defensively but distribution was poor again

Keogh- 7                   Did well preventing penalty being given and generally solid.

Buxton- 7                  Also solid

Christie- 7                 Sometimes out of position but offered more going forward

Eustace- 7                Did well breaking up play and took one for the team with the red.

Hendrick- 8               Best performance from him in a long while, dictated play in the middle alongside Will.

Hughes- 8.5              Another awesome performance, composed on the ball and rarely gave it away.

Ibe-7                         A few good runs into the box with crosses but lacked consistency.

Russell- 7                 Did well when he got in front of his man and made diagonal runs.

Martin- 8                  With limited service did well, very well taken goal to win us the game.

Would agree with all of those but Christie I would have at 5. Sleeping for their early chance which could have cost us, poor decision making in their half. It was his dire ball that led to McGoldrick breaking and Eustace holding him back for his first yellow and that time when Hughes had done well with the back-heel, Christie ran down the wing, cut inside, could cross to Martin or Russell, but instead cut back on the outside and a heavy touch took it straight out of play.

Been very disappointed with Christie's performances since he played for Ireland.

I don't remember many chances on the whole. Ipswich had a couple of 'opportunities' from set pieces but rarely worked Grant. I think he had just three saves to make in the whole match and all three strikes were relatively easy.

As for us, you're right, I don't remember much other than Martin's goal and Russell's weak shot for those that were on target.

We had plenty of opportunities to make more of what we had though. Christie fired over with a clear sight of goal, Russell's free-kick on the edge of the box which went wide, Martin's header which drifted over and Ibe's cut-back which was inviting.

In fact, in the first half we arguably had the clearest chance of the game when if Russell had dumbied Hendrick's ball in then Martin would have had a tap-in. Instead, Russell took it on and Berra blocked his shot from about eight yards out.

I also thought Hughes had a golden chance but shot straight at the keeper.

2 of their chances were when we down to 10 men.  we deserved the win.

Would agree with all of those but Christie I would have at 5. Sleeping for their early chance which could have cost us, poor decision making in their half. It was his dire ball that led to McGoldrick breaking and Eustace holding him back for his first yellow and that time when Hughes had done well with the back-heel, Christie ran down the wing, cut inside, could cross to Martin or Russell, but instead cut back on the outside and a heavy touch took it straight out of play.

Been very disappointed with Christie's performances since he played for Ireland.

Yeah, I forgot about that initial mistake actually. I was more impressed with him going forward than usual though

Archived