Derby County v Fulham

PrivateDerby

Hughes and Hendrick will start more games than Bryson this season, injuries permitting. Saying that, I thought Hendrick (and Bryson) were both a little quiet today.

Omar-Hughes-Hendrick For Tuesday please

Great to see Dawkins score too. Very pleased for him

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think Whitbread will start on Tuesday, probably rest Bucko.... Can see Mascarell starting possibly too.... Others the same me thinks

Anyone else notice Hendrick make a 40 yd sprint back to cover Christie's position when he was caught out in their box? The team really do work hard for each other, Eustace MOM for me, allows everyone else to play in the right areas.

One slight moan, just to be picky, how can Fozzy hit mostly great crosses, but can't seem to play a 10yd pass?

Fear not guys. I will be making the journey up from Bristol for this one. The boys always perform for me. 3-1 win. Football to make your eyes dance. Russell, Martin and Forsyth with the net-busters.

Felix Magath shot and left hanging from a meat hook a la Mussolini.

Hi all.

Really enjoyed my day. Thought my score prediction was going to prove right until Fulham crumbled. Very easy to get carried away but it's clear Fulham are a side in transition. Basically a bunch of kids and pony-tails marshalled by the evergreen Scotty Parker. Thought Ryan Williams looked good for them. If they keep the kids together they will be okay in a year or two, but for this season? Mid-table.

My ratings

Grant 7 - no chance with goal but otherwise looked comfortable.

Christie  8 - Really impressed with him. Smooth going forward, rugged in defence. Positionally naive at times and not great in the air for one so big, but I think he is a player.

Forsyth 6 - some good tackles but made a few poor passes today

Keogh  7 - thought he did well, though looked all at sea when balls got fired into the box from corners.

Bucko  7.5 - tough defending, good tackling and some impressive long passes.

Eustace  6.5 - Close to a 7, performance marred only by some occasional lapses in concentration when playing shorter passes. broke up a lot of their moves.

Hendrick  6 - Solid performance. As with Eustace, occasionally slips a pass without looking up, but he covered a lot of ground today.

Bryson  5.5 - Little impact with the ball and perhaps a bit lucky with his goal, given that he hit it to the middle of the goal. Hope the goal gives him confidence. Chased Parker most of the day.

Ward  9 - Wow! If that's what a new contract does, extend it. Really on it today. He put some great balls in today which could have brought Martin 5 goals on another day. Outstanding.

Russell 7 - Two goals created  and whips in a mean ball when cutting in on his left foot, but he still flatters to deceive. He switches off at times like his concentration levels are poor, but I still think he can be a really good player for us and he should start.

Martin 8 -  Makes me smile. For long periods looks slow, cumbersome and lazy. Then plays some great first time passes, comes alive with the ball at his feet in the box and is there when you need him. Strong today.

Subs: Dawkins 7 - was still telling guy next to me his miss for Martin's goal was inevitable when he scored from an acute angle! Like Bryson, hope the goal lifts his confidence.

Hughes - 7 - two simple but perfectly weighted passes for two goals. Would mark him higher but his tackle near the end was borderline sending-off. Amazed he wasn't even booked, though overall I thought the ref did well today.

Fook me I Live in spain saw the score and then read the reports apparently some of you think we were **** . When I lived in derby when we wom 5-1 we were the dogs b how things change!

We were irrepressible at 2-1 onward but to br fair fulham were pretty poor.

I loved it.

(Felt a bit sorry for Martin - on another day he'd have had a hatrick)

Said before and I'll say it again, so many fans judge performances simply on the scoreline alone.

We weren't that good today, and nor were we when we played against Forest at home when we won 5-0. We were clinical but bar the last 10 minutes when Fulham completely collapsed there really wasn't that a huge difference between the sides.

I think 5-1 was more Fulham's doing rather than our great play.

We played well at Carlisle and created/dominated far more than we did today. 

Best game I've seen us dominate was Blackpool at home - that was one way traffic throughout and nothing like the game I saw today.

Ward and Christie were the standouts today and Hughes showed what he can do with space further up the pitch. Martin great too.

I think it was our best performance of the season so far, but yeah, barring the collapse at the end we didn't look like a team deserving to win 5-1. Maybe 3-1 would have been fair enough, but the other two goals were very much as simple as "walk up and put it in the net", no challenge whatsoever,

Can't argue with that though, we did look good enough to win. Maybe the 4 goal margin is flattering, but we played well enough and won, I'm not complaining,

Just how much time was there between their kick off and our 5th goal?

It looked like when you play fifa on the easiest setting: snatch it off their kick off, run down the other end, soon as your in the box, shoot. Repeat to win 20-0 in 2 minutes a half.

I think it was our best performance of the season so far, but yeah, barring the collapse at the end we didn't look like a team deserving to win 5-1. Maybe 3-1 would have been fair enough, but the other two goals were very much as simple as "walk up and put it in the net", no challenge whatsoever,

Can't argue with that though, we did look good enough to win. Maybe the 4 goal margin is flattering, but we played well enough and won, I'm not complaining,

Agree with everything.Granted,Fulham was very poor we still capitalized on our chances and we have to continue to do so. A good overall performance regardless of who it is against is always great.Onwards and upwards.

P.S. Do you think Magath should get sacked?

Jamie Ward was on another level today, great game from Wardy. He was a real handful, and a livewire.  MOTM for me, for sure. 

Thought Eustace was the battery of the team, and he was the one who allowed everyone else to play there football knowing he was always there to break up play and in the right place for the pass. Christie was excellent again, and i thought Bryson got back into his game today too. 

Still buzzing.

So much better.

Eustace made a huge difference which surprised me.

Suddenly we looked ourselves again.

Round pegs in round holes.

Granty was still prone to hoofing it in the first half until simmo gave him a reminder but his handling looks assured.

Christie is terrific at Rb.

Wisdom left a huge hole, but we have done so well to get CC.

The centre mids are still not firing on all cylinders but bryson in particular was better.

Wardy and Russell both played well on the flanks.

Russell set up two but still managed to blaze a couple of good chances over the bar.

But hughesy!

What a reminder of how beautifully he unpicks the opposition.

His passing is so simple and effective that it is easy to underestimate him.

A great performance which allows us the luxury of feeling sorry for Fulham.

Men against boys.

Pretty much all been said already in this thread. Enjoyed the day. 

Any thoughts on the crowd figure? Quite a bit down on the opening game. I know they brought a lot less, but still. Maybe just that it's a bank holiday weekend? 

Oh, and at 2.15pm, there was no tea in the concourse (west stand lower). What?!? Plenty of hot water. Gallons of it. Plenty of milk and sugar. Plenty of cups and stirry things. No tea? How the hell does something like that happen?

I thought Russell's overall game-play was poor - he lost possession, looked slower than last season and was wayward in his passing. Too many times he doens't look up and see what's around him, I find him quite limited to be honest.

Buuuuut, afterall that he is effective.

I guess that's the common theme with Championship wingers though, if he was better in the attributes above he'd be in the PL.

I thought Russell's overall game-play was poor - he lost possession, looked slower than last season and was wayward in his passing. Too many times he doens't look up and see what's around him, I find him quite limited to be honest.

Buuuuut, afterall that he is effective.

I guess that's the common theme with Championship wingers though, if he was better in the attributes above he'd be in the PL.

He also set up two goals.

Archived