Derby County v Fulham

PrivateDerby

We weren't that good today, and nor were we when we played against Forest at home when we won 5-0. We were clinical but bar the last 10 minutes when Fulham completely collapsed there really wasn't that a huge difference between the sides.

I think 5-1 was more Fulham's doing rather than our great play.

I'm not sure how you can say we were clinical when we've missed at least as many good chances as we've scored. Whereas fulham created absolutely nothing, bar a few shots from distance and set pieces. Fulham did a decent job trying to stop us playing out from the back, that's why our possession was down compared to normal, but they put so much effort in that we blew them away when they ran out of steam. We weren't outstanding by any means, but we created good chances all match and fulham didn't. That was the big difference between the sides, and that's why we won comfortably.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good atmosphere? Couldn't listen.

Not really.

Their fans were anonymous as you'd expect, but nothing really got going from us until it was 4-1.

I was front row of South Stand, right behind the goal. Saw nothing of the game really, being that low down, but it seems the stewards have almost learnt their lesson from the Rotherham game. Got asked to sit by 2 stewards in the first 5 minutes, told them politely it was the stand for singing and they went away for the rest of the game.

Said before and I'll say it again, so many fans judge performances simply on the scoreline alone.

We weren't that good today, and nor were we when we played against Forest at home when we won 5-0. We were clinical but bar the last 10 minutes when Fulham completely collapsed there really wasn't that a huge difference between the sides.

We played well at Carlisle and created/dominated far more than we did today.

Best game I've seen us dominate was Blackpool at home - that was one way traffic throughout and nothing like the game I saw today.

Ward and Christie were the standouts today and Hughes showed what he can do with space further up the pitch. Martin great too.

I agree mate. Even the atmosphere was flat for long periods because the game was either us passing safely sideways or them passing safely sideways or us hoofing.

Fulham could have had something yesterday after getting back level. Giving us the chance to counter attack was stupid considering we're the best counter attacking team they'll play this season.

5-1 doesn't show just how suicidal they were!!

Is anyone not concerned that if all the clubs in this division continue with such (in)consistency, we will finish 7th and the Gumps will be Champions. I don't know how to do those dark eye emoticons because I have never been properly educated.

We were irrepressible at 2-1 onward but to br fair fulham were pretty poor.

I loved it.

(Felt a bit sorry for Martin - on another day he'd have had a hatrick)

I didn't feel sorry for him! haha that one he put over the bar when there was an open net looked harder to miss. 

Said before and I'll say it again, so many fans judge performances simply on the scoreline alone.

We played well at Carlisle and created/dominated far more than we did today. 

Best game I've seen us dominate was Blackpool at home - that was one way traffic throughout and nothing like the game I saw today.

Ward and Christie were the standouts today and Hughes showed what he can do with space further up the pitch. Martin great too.

the performance was impressive compared to the rest this season however we all know we still have many more gears to go through. This game was a test of character more than anything, to be comfortable at 1-0 and then concede from a scrappy set play we could have easily crumbled but we got right back on the front foot and got the next goal. 

Well worth the 250 mile round trip. I agree with some other posters, that the scoreline flattered us a little. They had me worried at 1-1. We still don't look at our sharpest, and although Eustace is definitely our current no1 holding midfielder, he does slow the game down considerably. Which I don't think really suits our style. 

Wardy was great again today... as indeed he was on Tuesday night at Charlton. He appears to have his hunger back.

Christie played well, although he needs to work on his close control. He looks great at full speed, but is a bit gangly at close quarters. 

Long season ahead, but we should definitely finish top six minimum! Fingers crossed Thorne is fit again for the New Year rather than March time!!

At the end of the day its the result that matters not the performance at this stage of the season. We needed to win today and we did it pretty well. You can only beat what it set out in front of you at the end of the day and Fulham were hopeless. Despite Wards MOTM performance I thought Russell was much improved yesterday and his two assists were inch perfect, on another day he could have bagged himself a goal.

Anyway 2 more home games now to hopefully keep the momentum so we can burst a certain red bubble at the start of September.  :D

I agree that we were not firing on all cylinders for large parts of the game yesterday, and yes, the atmosphere was flat for much of the match. However, I'm not worried about it at this stage. We will improve as the season goes on. We know we have more gears to go through and we will find them as we get fitter and sharper. At the moment we are still coming to terms with the Thorne injury and the implications it has had for players and positions in the squad.

I believe many of our 'issues' this season have stemmed directly from this. Thorne combined the defensive attributes of Eustace with the attacking qualities of Hughes. He was perfect for the that defensive midfielder role (probably the key role in our system/formation). I think both Hughes and Eustace have played well in that position since Thorne's injury but neither will be quite the player he was there as they don't seem to be able to marry both sides of role as he did. That is not a criticism of the job that either Hughes or Eustace have done there, it is just that I think we will have to accept that we lose something defensively with Hughes playing there and we sacrifice something going forward with Eustace (Fulham were absolutely woeful yesterday so I'm not sure the scoreline reflected Eustace's prowess as an attacking player necessarily) Mascarelles may yet be the player we need there in Thorne's absence when he has had time to adjust to the league, got some minutes under his belt and becomes used to his team mates. Time will tell and we will see.

As for Fulham, I fear Magath/Fulham's owners have succumbed to a touch of Premier League myopia, automatically assuming that any team coming down from the top flight must by right be automatically good enough to bounce straight back at the first time of asking. He would not be the first to make this mistake as many other managers/owners have also allowed themselves to believe the hype, encouraged by the the national media and so called 'experts' who seem to suffer from the same infliction. He thought he could use relegation and the 'weakness' of the Championship to implement his own footballing philosophy/experiment, in playing his supposedly superior Premier League youth who would go on to outplay and out-think the prehistoric 'hoofball' merchants of the 'pub teams' in the lower leagues. Well, Fulham were flaccid, toothless and lacked any kind of creativity. We were not playing at our best for large parts of the game and performed well within ourselves yet still managed to inflict an embarrassing 5-1 defeat, which they can have no complaints about.

I fear it is going to be a very long season for Fulham (although probably a very short one for Magath...)           

I think thats a good gate now I reckon our average will be about there, we will always get the 30k plus for Forest etc.  If you look at Forest for instance, top of the table one of their icons as a manager and only get 22k . Apart from  8 or 9 in the Prem the gates are pretty poor there as well.

Pretty much all been said already in this thread. Enjoyed the day.

Any thoughts on the crowd figure? Quite a bit down on the opening game. I know they brought a lot less, but still. Maybe just that it's a bank holiday weekend?

Oh, and at 2.15pm, there was no tea in the concourse (west stand lower). What?!? Plenty of hot water. Gallons of it. Plenty of milk and sugar. Plenty of cups and stirry things. No tea? How the hell does something like that happen?

does anyone drink tea in the concourse's?

Archived