Derby County v Fulham

PrivateDerby

Hardly flawless. First half we were strangely quiet. But to turn it on like that shows we are a class above. Totally concur with you that no one can match us when we click.

And it almost looked like we clicked at will....

I agree that perhaps the one blot was a sloppy equaliser - although Parker took it well ... we should clear our lines more efficiently. I wouldn't say we were 'quiet' as such ... just calmly controlling the game. We were the only side with any genuine goal threat. 

Just thought defensively, it looked far, far better. Eustace was excellent, and shielded the back our supremely well. His influence was undeniable ... other than Christie, i thought he was the best player on the park.

Fulham are neat and tidy, but thanks to him - they had no way of finding the feet of their front men. Questions were asked by one or two on Tuesday night, and the manager responded. Got it spot on.

Just goes to prove - get your shape and organisation absolutely correct ... and the rest will take care of itself, because we have pace, incision, and quality oozing from our front men.

Christie had a stormer, and we showed our strength in depth at the sharp end. Good to see Martin, Bryson, and Dawkins on the score sheet.

I wonder also - where all these jokers that were digging Ward out the other day for his new deal have disappeared to?

Early doors, very few complaints thus far. Creditable start to the season. Gears to find.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair Eustace did nothing wrong last season, just ran out of steam due to age etc.

Plus a young upstart called George was found via the loan market and proved a class above every other Defensive Midfielder outside the prem available.

So truth be told Eustace deserved his place in the side even before today IMO

Fixed that for you.

To be bluntly honest I think West Brom, despite his injury, made a huge mistake letting him go at any price.

Need to keep things in perspective. Fulham are a mess, a whole host of new players, that haven't had a chance to gel yet.  It was good to play them now.  Having said that you can only beat what is put in front of you.....and a 5-1 is always impressive.

Really clicked today, responded well when they equalised....

Just went up the gears and ripped them apart from 2-1 onwards. All very classy goals as well.

Ward MOM for me.... Best game I've seen him play for a while, even though I still think he's been doing ok. Nice to see him play like that.

Couldn't pick a bad player, particularly the second half.

As for Fulham.... Looked short of confidence, terrible back 5 ( includes the keeper )

And ponderous and slow up front.

Reminded me of us three or four years ago... Don't think they will go down but will bounce around lower to mid table all season long.

Roll on Tuesday....

I agree that perhaps the one blot was a sloppy equaliser - although Parker took it well ... we should clear our lines more efficiently. I wouldn't say we were 'quiet' as such ... just calmly controlling the game. We were the only side with any genuine goal threat. 

Just thought defensively, it looked far, far better. Eustace was excellent, and shielded the back our supremely well. His influence was undeniable ... other than Christie, i thought he was the best player on the park.

Fulham are neat and tidy, but thanks to him - they had no way of finding the feet of their front men. Questions were asked by one or two on Tuesday night, and the manager responded. Got it spot on.

Just goes to prove - get your shape and organisation absolutely correct ... and the rest will take care of itself, because we have pace, incision, and quality oozing from our front men.

Christie had a stormer, and we showed our strength in depth at the sharp end. Good to see Martin, Bryson, and Dawkins on the score sheet.

I wonder also - where all these jokers that were digging Ward out the other day for his new deal have disappeared to?

Early doors, very few complaints thus far. Creditable start to the season. Gears to find.

Agree almost with every word. "Gears to find" is seriously threatening to the rest of the league. As BahrainSal said too, smashing 5-1 and not in top gear.

Eustace just sensational, Ward terrific, Christie excellent. Hughes' 10 or so minutes looked masterful albeit Fulham had rolled over and shown the pink tummy by then.

We will benefit from the competition for places. Russell great, Martin and Dawkins both scored...And the team blew the rust out and has made the league stand up and take notice....

Agree almost with every word. "Gears to find" is seriously threatening to the rest of the league. As BahrainSal said too, smashing 5-1 and not in top gear.

Eustace just sensational, Ward terrific, Christie excellent. Hughes' 10 or so minutes looked masterful albeit Fulham had rolled over and shown the pink tummy by then.

We will benefit from the competition for places. Russell great, Martin and Dawkins both scored...And the team blew the rust out and has made the league stand up and take notice....

Absolutely correct. We put the opposition to the sword today ... and that is exactly what we wanted to see after what has been perceived by many to be a stuttering start.

Happy days. 

As much as I think Eustace is a brilliant player, in the style we play I doubt we're capable of finding those gears though. If Mascarell is capable of stepping into our system and even playing half as well as Thorne did, then we're in business. The great thing about Eustace though, is he's still a very good player to have. Personally though I feel he's better suited to us needing that extra defensive side than us hitting top form and punishing a side.

Who knows though. I certainly think he engraved his name in the team sheet for the next few weeks with that performance though.

Loved the second half, buzzing after that!

Fulham I felt passed it well but had virtually zero physical presence and will be too lightweight for this league as it stands for all their possession play.

Derby got better as it went on, blowing them away near the end though perhaps they did capitulate somewhat too, was still great stuff to watch though!

My Marks

Grant 7 - not tested but looks to have improved leaps and bounds since Steele came in

Christie 10 - awesome overlapping performance from the right back, linking superbly with Ward throughout

Forsyth 6 - wasn't going forward so often today but steady enough

Keogh 7 - did nothing wrong

Buxton 7 - quickly out again despite injury rumours and solid as a rock

Bryson 7 - a lot of running, not all came off but deserved the goal

Hendrick 6 - little bit quieter than some others but not bad

Eustace 8 - foundation for the ball players, looked like he'd never been away, cigar-like display

Martin 8 - burst to life near the end, good battling throughout

Russell 7 - laid on 2 goals, narrow miss with volley, lively especially first half

Ward 9 - best performance in Derby shirt, link up with Christie was exciting, non stop tormentor

Subs

Hughes 8 - sublime passes for 2 goals away from the shackles of CDM

Dawkins 8 - excellent cameo with a goal and assist off the post, looked different player with the game open

Best not on long enough really for a rating (also I left to miss the traffic as had someone waiting for me lol!)

Fantastic performance by absolutely everyone.

Ward's best game for Derby imo.

Christie excellent.

Hughes fantastic when he came on.

Delighted for Dawks.

S'pose the only downer today was the massive queues outside yet again.

Archived