Best TV Dramas

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I too tried GoT and couldn't get on with it, doesn't help I've never really been into fantasy type stuff. 

Prison Break though was pretty enjoyable for the first season, second season was meh then it completely falls off a cliff. 

Prison Break is ****, but it's the kind of **** that makes you want to see how ridiculous it gets. Think of it as a Eastenders/Hollyoaks kinda thing. It's easy watching so doesn't feel like a chore, I can sit here on the Macbook posting away with it on in the background, knowing I'm not missing much, just another near miss of capture, you know nothing actually happens until the last 3 episodes.

GOT you have to watch, like really watch, kick the dog to be quiet, evict the missus and sit there with 110% focus, not a hint of tirdness, you need to be alert, have a notepad and pen out so you don't forget anything, pausing to Google the characters name they are talking about so you know who they are talking about.

Thats not entertainment, I feel like I'm back at school revising for a English exam with a Shakespeare book, having to read it just so you know what the teacher is banging on about.

You watch Eastenders & Hollyoaks as well???  Jesus wept man!

I get where you're coming from with the density of the plotting but with the constant dumbing down of TV & film, stuff like GoT, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Wire should be rightly lauded.  In 10 years time when the schedules are crammed full of cheap "I'm a Strictly Celebrity X Factoring who's Got Talent on a Love Island Get Me Outta Here" we'll look back and pine for such quality. 

Think that's part of my problem with it, I'm not into fantasy either. Sci Fi I'm great with but it's all that old time fantasy stuff.

I bet everyone that likes Game of Thrones also likes Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, that kind of thing. 

You watch Eastenders & Hollyoaks as well???  Jesus wept man!

I get where you're coming from with the density of the plotting but with the constant dumbing down of TV & film, stuff like GoT, Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and The Wire should be rightly lauded.  In 10 years time when the schedules are crammed full of cheap "I'm a Strictly Celebrity X Factoring who's Got Talent on a Love Island Get Me Outta Here" we'll look back and pine for such quality. 

Just comparing it, used to be forced to watching Eastenders with the ex but I could sit and half pay attention to one episode because it's on, not watch the next 10 and still pick it back up. With Prison Break you could probably watch the first, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th episode and still get what's going on.

I want something in the middle of that and Game of Thrones, a Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men kind of thing. Where you can read a text without hitting pause, but you still need to be paying attention and can remember the main characters names like you know who they are. I was seriously Googling them during episodes of GOT just to remind myself, for me that's not entertaining

Just comparing it, used to be forced to watching Eastenders with the ex but I could sit and half pay attention to one episode because it's on, not watch the next 10 and still pick it back up. With Prison Break you could probably watch the first, 5th, 10th, 15th and 20th episode and still get what's going on.

I want something in the middle of that and Game of Thrones, a Breaking Bad, The Wire, Mad Men kind of thing. Where you can read a text without hitting pause, but you still need to be paying attention and can remember the main characters names like you know who they are. I was seriously Googling them during episodes of GOT just to remind myself, for me that's not entertaining

The bar of how good a show is, is when the Mrs stops playing Candy Crush to sit and watch it.  Only GoT, Breaking Bad, and recently Dr Foster (actually really good) have achieved it.  Mobile phones & Facebook are screwing up people's attention levels.  

Christ I'm 37 years old and sound 78, FFS!!!

Doesn't that annoy you? that theres so much going on you need to watch twice? Don't get me wrong I like to use my brain a bit but Game of Thrones takes the piss, gave up after 4 seasons, still couldn't remember everyones names so enough was enough

It's not a case of needing to watch it twice more a case of "oh yeah" moments. 

Took me 3 attempts to really start watching it, and even now I think is it bloody brilliant or utterly *****. Most episodes I was thinking halfway through this is starting to drag, then it would finish on a really good cliff hanger so I would want to watch the next one, then the same would happen. I have to say though the best season is the 5th and the last few episodes are brilliant.

With the walking dead, the thing I wnjoy most about it is the morality questions it throws up at you. Some episodes drag, granted but some of them are are fascinating. I have no idea how it will end, and with it following the comics and they are still going it could go on for as long as people are watching it. That doesn't bother me. I watched the first episode when it was on ch5, 5 years ago and still watching it now.

I'm currently watching Dexter... at a bit of a lull in dramas on Netflix (does the League count? it's a sitcom but it's brilliant). It is really good at times, then drags at others. Going to keep going with it (just started second series).

I sometime get the feeling that people watch things to be in on the latest thing, like it's somehow cool to watch Walking Dead and Game of Thrones.

It could just be different viewing tastes but I got no enjoyment from watching Game of Thrones, it started off and I was at a complete loss, a few episodes in I thought ok this could be good then they started throwing characters at me left right and centre, didn't know what the hell was going on. Was nice to know who people were on about with Jon Snow tho so I kinda stuck with it. Do you ever get that I don't want this to end feeling? start slowing down watching so it lasts a little while longer? I couldn't wait to get to the end of Game of Thrones by season 4.

I properly love game of thrones. But then, I like fantasy stuff, so it's right up my street. 

Inwatxhed the first series, and really enjoyed the fact that the experience wasn't just about watching the show. I'd read the guardian blog, then I'd go onto a wiki of ice and fire to see what happens to all the characters (spoilers be damned), then I went as far as to read the books. And I really enjoy that whole experience, learning more about the world. Like doing a history degree, if real history was interesting.

Now I know so much about the GoT universe, I forget what I learnt from the show and what I learnt from other sources. Sonic ant really empathise with people who say 'I don't get it'. I'm sure if all I saw was the show, then there probably would be big chunks I don't really get. But if you fully immerse yourself, it's brilliant. 

I properly love game of thrones. But then, I like fantasy stuff, so it's right up my street. 

Inwatxhed the first series, and really enjoyed the fact that the experience wasn't just about watching the show. I'd read the guardian blog, then I'd go onto a wiki of ice and fire to see what happens to all the characters (spoilers be damned), then I went as far as to read the books. And I really enjoy that whole experience, learning more about the world. Like doing a history degree, if real history was interesting.

Now I know so much about the GoT universe, I forget what I learnt from the show and what I learnt from other sources. Sonic ant really empathise with people who say 'I don't get it'. I'm sure if all I saw was the show, then there probably would be big chunks I don't really get. But if you fully immerse yourself, it's brilliant. 

That sounds like effort. 

GoT is complex, heck the 1st season confused the hell out of me but second viewing gave a greater understanding. Don't really understand the logic of watching a tv drama but not being happy if you can't follow because you want to be doing something else at the same time. You don't read a book and try and text at the same time.

Whatever happened to Heros?

why do the Americans do that? 

Here's a great concept for a show, but in series 2 well introduce a shady government organisation and and a few crazy storylines so we can spin out to 8 series of 22 episodes each. 

The british do it a lot better. Here's a four part mini series. Beginning, middle, end and it's over. 

Maybe that's why true detective is so popular. Hopefully the Americans are starting to learn the lesson. 

I do hope this post is driving with sarcasm...? Great show, for maybe 1 or 2 series after that it got so unbelievable that is was compete garbage and the ending was so so weak..

Think it was sarcasm with no spoilers attached as it's quite recent. You've probably just ruined it for the lad now 

Whatever happened to Heros?

why do the Americans do that? 

Here's a great concept for a show, but in series 2 well introduce a shady government organisation and and a few crazy storylines so we can spin out to 8 series of 22 episodes each. 

The british do it a lot better. Here's a four part mini series. Beginning, middle, end and it's over. 

Maybe that's why true detective is so popular. Hopefully the Americans are starting to learn the lesson. 

didn't you say you watched flash a page or two back? That, coupled with a like for Heroes shows little taste. The fact Heroes got canned speaks to that. 

didn't you say you watched flash a page or two back? That, coupled with a like for Heroes shows little taste. The fact Heroes got canned speaks to that. 

heroes is back now....! 

I have to admit that when it first came on the save the cheer leader first season was great....I watched it with Mrs Muespach and we found ourselves watching it all night until we finished it at 8 in the morning. 

The second season was tripe though. 

I'm currently watching Dexter... at a bit of a lull in dramas on Netflix (does the League count? it's a sitcom but it's brilliant). It is really good at times, then drags at others. Going to keep going with it (just started second series).

Enjoy the fabulous ending!  

I do hope this post is driving with sarcasm...? Great show, for maybe 1 or 2 series after that it got so unbelievable that is was compete garbage and the ending was so so weak..

Of course he's being sarcastic.  One of the worst final seasons of  any TV show ever.

Srg, stop watching it after Season 4.  Better to leave what happened next to your imagination as I'm sure whatever you think of is a lot better...

as Murdoch says, first season was great. A really good concept. I didn't even watch the second season though. That nosedived so quickly. 

The problem is, a lot of these American shows have a really good hook or concept. What if... And too tune into the first couple of episodes to find out  but really the concept only has legs for a few episodes, and would probably make a better miniseries or to movie. But the Americans try to eke out a 20 episode season, and then try to get a few more seasons out of the same concept, which gets very boring, very quickly.

did anyone see a thing with Keifer Surherland called touched. Really good first season, government conspiracy in the second season, cancelled.

I I do have a thing for superhero films and tv. But the flash is something I can watch with my daughter. She really enjoys it, against all odds. 

Archived