Chris Martin

Duracell

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the cold light of closing time it strikes me that Martin has needed a rest for a while. Sammon has looked good coming off the bench and deserves a chance. I'm going to ball up all of the refereeing irritations from today and put them behind me. Burnley looked a worse side than us. Thats a good thing right?

Even of you did book Martin for the dive that wasn't a dive the first yellow was never a yellow very hard done by!!

Yeah sat right in front of me.

A couple of people went up to ask for autographs and photos etc.

Also took a little bit of flak, heard of couple of shouts of you let us down, that sort of thing. Fair play to him though. Russell and Bennett were in the stands too.

Ah! The "we pay your wages" brigade.

Martin hasn't let anyone down. None of them have. They're doing very well.

Get Theo and Tyson back with their 'effort'.

Derby fans let the team down more often than Martin does

The stats are thankfully in Mr Martin's favour! (The way I look at it anyway)

Tyson is now on loan at Fleetwood Town P-4 G-0 (Zero goals in 10 sub apps for Blackpool).

Robinson is P-18(5) G-5 at Doncaster.

According to Soccerbase.com (didn't give assists)

Arguably different types of player but if Chris Martin is on as much as they were on combined then it still looks decent.

Can't think of a better forward since Rob Hulse.

Yesterday he was hard done by but you do reap what you sow... Let's be honest us football fans are two faced sometimes we bay for blood when someone does this sort of thing against us but justify it when it's done by our own....

I hate Martins diving, can't stand it.

Conor was much more effective when he came on yesterday and caused them loads of trouble, without the need for throwing himself on the deck every 2 mins.. If playing for fouls is now the biggest part of Martins game then we will have a problem.

The ref yesterday was shocking though... The only consistent thing was his poor decisions. If he booked Martin for a dive why did he not book Bamford late on as well?

All in all a crap day. 5 fkn hours to get there, Poxy M1.

I saw the 'foul' in FLS and the defender definately clips his foot as he tries to turn inside, making it impossible for him to get his foot down properly at that point, he didnt dive, but like any player in he top divisions having felt the contact he made the most of it, hoping for the decision....... he got a 'decision' from a ref who bearing in mind the first booking for 'standing up for himself' obviously had Martins card marked....... have they had a run in before ? If he hadnt been so keen on getting the card out and let play go for a second or two more he had no decision to make, he could have just allowed the goal !

Either way, i call it as i see it and for me yesterday we were hard done by :angry:

Ref got it totally wrong yesterday, the first wasn't even a foul never mind a booking, even Burnley fans after said it was a slip.

The team spirit from the lads yesterday was immense, you look at the way Buxton, Keogh and Martin (and Sammon when he came on) were competing yesterday shows how much the team wants it and to get back into the game and actually control the second half after the ref cocked it up was very impressive. It would have been very easy to use that as excuse and roll over, but we didn't, and the players deserve a lot of credit for that. I can't believe our fans were giving Martin grief, ******.

tbh curb I think our fans are quite harsh on all our players individually.

Don't you think it's pretty difficult to pick PotY for the right reasons right now?

Grant has won us points and commands his box now

Wisdom has shown on more occasions than you can count how classy he can be under pressure.

Buxton has been excellent

Keogh picked up massively considering the start!

Forsyth one of our best attackers. His crossing has created plenty

Eustace has come into the starting 11 and has given Bryson a new freedom

Hughes is Hughes. Classy. Intelligent.

Bryson, who knew he had it in him?

Dawkins, who? A nobody turned classy technical good hold up flair player

Ward has had patchy form. Still has contributed and been part of our best performances

Russell has had a disrupted season but really showing what we can look forward to with his directness

Martin, let us down? With near on 20 goals and the man who has given all those wingers and 2 midfield players something to work with. Who else would do this? Can you see Bamford doing the ugly stuff? Can you see Sammon netting 17/18 times?

But then the likes of Sammon and Bamford have given us the boost when we've needed it. An injection of urgency or a goal from nothing.

I don't understand why there are so many calls for McClaren to rip the team sheet up. They've got us 3rd. We were never going to make the Play Offs. Then we were happy with the play offs but were never going to get automatic. Now we're upset because we lost a big game for an automatic promotion spot.

An automatic promotion spot!!!

Incredible runs put together by 13,14 players playing and TRYING to play ambitious, fast football on the floor.

"Let us down"?? They've earned the right to let us down on occasion

Just watched the highlights ad I think Burnley played up to the fact that Martin plays hard and gets stuck in.  The first yellow, should never had been a yelow he was battling for the ball and had at one point 3 burnley players around him.

The slip was a slip, he didn't look for a peno just slipped and fell, the burnley player waving for a card should have been booked and Hendricks goal should have stood.

I fear his reputation preceded him today ...

Refs should not take reputation into account. They should consider each challenge individually regardless of who was involved; otherwise it is a biased decision.

We do often get poor referees but this guy was on a different level. He's obviously card happy and he had it in for Martin yesterday no doubt.

The other thing I find a bit odd is Sean Dyche saying that Martin appealed for it which put doubt in the ref's mind. If you watch the replays at no point does Martin appeal he is busy watching Hendrick stroke the ball into the net. I know the old adage about luck evening itself out over the season but I was so looking forward to the contest and this has made the outcome difficult to accept. We were denied a legitimate equaliser (and the players including the goalkeeper were clearly playing on when it hit the net). Maybe we would have lost in the second half but......

I think Burnley's manager has done his homework and either made the ref aware of Chris Martin before the game or definitely made his players aware of Chris Martin. And just like Joey Barton feeling hard done by at our place because our manager knew how to control him, this time Chris Martin has been caught out by the system and how unfair that system can be. He was done, we were done and if we ever get that hard man that we need in midfield to protect our goals scorers then sometimes we are unfortunately going to have to suffer by the system. In Chris Martin we trust, he doesn't need replacing he's our best man for the job. Again we were out muscled, and if we go up, we need to improve in this area of the game. Burnley can win ugly and so can Leicester and so can Wigan etc and if we want to worry about something as Alpha explains I'm not sure what more any of us can expect we are 3rd enjoy it. I'm more worried about if we make Wembley on the 24th May, who I go and see afterwards to celebrate, the Wedding Present play Manchester all day indie festival in Manchester, Half Man Half Biscuit play Blackburn or Paul Heaton plays Leeds, and singing some Rams tunes in Leeds on the evening, sounds pretty good to me.

I think Burnley's manager has done his homework and either made the ref aware of Chris Martin before the game or definitely made his players aware of Chris Martin. And just like Joey Barton feeling hard done by at our place because our manager knew how to control him, this time Chris Martin has been caught out by the system and how unfair that system can be. He was done, we were done and if we ever get that hard man that we need in midfield to protect our goals scorers then sometimes we are unfortunately going to have to suffer by the system. In Chris Martin we trust, he doesn't need replacing he's our best man for the job. Again we were out muscled, and if we go up, we need to improve in this area of the game. Burnley can win ugly and so can Leicester and so can Wigan etc and if we want to worry about something as Alpha explains I'm not sure what more any of us can expect we are 3rd enjoy it. I'm more worried about if we make Wembley on the 24th May, who I go and see afterwards to celebrate, the Wedding Present play Manchester all day indie festival in Manchester, Half Man Half Biscuit play Blackburn or Paul Heaton plays Leeds, and singing some Rams tunes in Leeds on the evening, sounds pretty good to me.

You so nearly made an entire post without bringing up 'Rams tunes'  :lol:

Chris Martin has in no way let us down. Such a stupid thing to say. If you have a pair of eyes it's clear to see the ref got it totally wrong. Don't know if you can appeal against two yellow sending offs but if you can I hope the club persist.

How Dean Marney stayed on the pitch is beyond me, hacked Bryson down on the touch line in the second half and got nothing! along with his supposedly Martin type fouls through out.

Chris Martin has in no way let us down. Such a stupid thing to say. If you have a pair of eyes it's clear to see the ref got it totally wrong. Don't know if you can appeal against two yellow sending offs but if you can I hope the club persist.

How Dean Marney stayed on the pitch is beyond me, hacked Bryson down on the touch line in the second half and got nothing! along with his supposedly Martin type fouls through out.

There's nowt we can do about it now. The cnut of a ref may well of cost us automatic promotion but we canna do a thing about it. Nothing against Burnley, even if Dyche influenced the ref its still the ref who has booked Martin twice without seeing a foul. It doesn't matter how many times you look at the first yellow card, you can't see a foul. There was no foul yet he booked him!

Stonewall penalty or play on and a goal, either way, there is no way the ref could have seen simulation from Martin because there was none. Not even close.

We won't see that ref for a good few years, the Football League will make sure of that like they did with Atwell.

Fair play to Burnley btw, they've got maximum points out of us and the Treetards and if they finish 2nd they'll have deserved it.

Still think we'll run 'em very close though.

Martin IS the most fouled player in the Championship according to whoscored.com - not just by a slim margin either, by quite a long way. In fact if the ref had given the foul and not the dive on Saturday that would have been the 100th foul on Martin this season...

It's part of his game and it's worked well for us. Has he been booked for diving before this season? If he wasn't playing like that then we'd all be calling him lighweight and moaning about how often he gets out-muscled.

If he had any pace he'd be playing in the Prem that's for sure

Archived