Chris Martin

Duracell

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stats are different according to whoscored.com (which generally seems a lot more comprehensive)

Martin has committed 55 fouls - and sits in 13th for the most fouls per game.

Barton is top with 58 fouls but has played considerably less games than Martin. In fact the players above Martin in the other 11 places have all committed LESS fouls, but played a lot less games so their foul per game ratio is much higher.

Martin's 55 fouls come in 33 games so less than 2 fouls a game. Hardly a brutal players stats?

Was Martin hard done by? Absolutely.

Whilst I don't hold with this talk of referees cheating - I'd like to think that our game is free from the corruption we've heard about in, for example, Italy. The ref was totally inept and from what I saw he had it in for Martin and nothing anyone will say can sway me from that opinion. Why would he single him out twice and book him on both occasions for absolutely nothing?

Steve Claridge on the FLS, to his credit, picked apart Dyche's argument that his first booking was a cumulative thing by going through each challenge he was involved in and out of about 5 challenges there was probably 1 foul and that probably wasn't a bookable offence. The one he was booked for certainly wasn't even a foul.

How can a referee book someone for diving, which he must be absolutely certain to have seen him do, when he clearly didn't dive? Even Dyche agrees that he didn't dive. 

We have no right to appeal the decision where it's two yellow cards, the only possible thing that could happen in Martin's favour would be for the ref to have a change of heart and admit he was wrong and rescind the yellow card, that ain't going to happen!

Has Martin let the side down? Absolutely not.

Throughout the season he's done what he's paid to do - be a sole target man upfront, be strong, bring others into play and stick the ball in the net. In a lot of ways he's the epitome of what the centre forwards of my youth used to be in that he's not affraid to put it about and give as good as he gets.

That's my two penneth worth.

Interesting that Will Hughes is up there for fouls given, only slightly behind Eustace, when one of the modal comments about Hughes is that he doesn't get stuck in enough...

I digress.

Chris Martin has been hard done by, one of the few times he doesn't appeal 'til he's blue in the mouth - because he knows he has  slipped - and he's carded for a dive. The first yellow was rather daft too, especially when considering some fouls that were much worse, escaped with nothing. Hughes picked up a card for something minor in a similar vein, and later on, a much worse challenge (by Marney on Bryson, I think) got away scott free. Agree with the point made earlier - its not so much that these decisions are going against us, as we get enough dodgy ones go our way (imo), but the inconsistency in decisions that really gets my goat. Martin's doing what he's paid to do, score goals, put defenses under pressure, hold up and bring others into the play. He's doing it well. But the way he does it is liable to him getting found out - as was the case on Saturday - I just hope he doesn't change his methods because of a really poor officiating decision.

I like the fact that we have a bit of steel about our play sometimes. It's important that Martin and Sammo make sure that the centre halves know they have been in a game and that means they have to put themselves about a bit. Some of that is verbal and some physical. Shackell didn't hold back on Saturday.

Hughesy's fouls are generally more gentle affairs!

TobyWanKenobi

What pissed me off most about Martins red card was not Martin at all, but in the second half when Bamford went down in the box from a typically poor, but not malicious Burnley challenge, was that the referee waved away Bamfords protests for a penalty. Either he was fouled or he dived. Those were the options.

The ref sent a bloke off for diving in the first half, then ignores what he believes is diving in the second half?

Pick your rules and stick to them!

Whilst I don't hold with this talk of referees cheating - I'd like to think that our game is free from the corruption we've heard about in, for example, Italy. The ref was totally inept and from what I saw he had it in for Martin and nothing anyone will say can sway me from that opinion. Why would he single him out twice and book him on both occasions for absolutely nothing?

Steve Claridge on the FLS, to his credit, picked apart Dyche's argument that his first booking was a cumulative thing by going through each challenge he was involved in and out of about 5 challenges there was probably 1 foul and that probably wasn't a bookable offence. The one he was booked for certainly wasn't even a foul.

How can a referee book someone for diving, which he must be absolutely certain to have seen him do, when he clearly didn't dive? Even Dyche agrees that he didn't dive. 

We have no right to appeal the decision where it's two yellow cards, the only possible thing that could happen in Martin's favour would be for the ref to have a change of heart and admit he was wrong and rescind the yellow card, that ain't going to happen!

Throughout the season he's done what he's paid to do - be a sole target man upfront, be strong, bring others into play and stick the ball in the net. In a lot of ways he's the epitome of what the centre forwards of my youth used to be in that he's not affraid to put it about and give as good as he gets.

Good post.

There's no suggestion of cheating. Its human frailty, weak personality, easily persuaded by others instead of relying on the evidence of his own eyes that leads to these pisspoor decisions.

Hopefully, he (the ref) will cringe when he sees it again and realise what a cnut he's made of himself.

Totally agree. From what I saw, the ref had it in for Martin from the start. I felt he was looking for any excuse to get rid of Martin. If that was based on previous reputation or he just didn't like him, that should never sway a decision. The trusty BBC put up a thing on premiership players who got booked for diving, Bale was miles out in front, followed by I think Suarez. How many of those were purely based on reputation?

Maybe you could argue that knowing the ref was against him, Martin needed to be smart but there is no chance he could have done a thing about the "dive". I don't even think Martin had done enough to warrant one yellow in the match.  A greater gripe is how inconsistent the ref was. Plus I would like to think that any player on a yellow would not be daft enough to dive!

Martin is still my shout for player of the season, talk of him letting us down is folly. Derby and the game of football were let down by a weak inconsistent ref, it is frustrating that it is so blatant in what was possibly the biggest game of the season (so far).

I thought the post match interview from McClaren was spot on, no ref ranting but focusing on the positives. I wonder if the ref would contact the club to apologise?

The referee has come in for a lot of criticism - I won't say 'universal' because football in general doesn't give a toss about the Championship - and not one single person has backed him over any of his decisions apart from Sean Dyche who maintained that Martin had been involved in '5 or 6 incidents' (despite only 3 fouls awarded against Martin - in fact Derby only committed 8 fouls in the entire match) - but even he admitted that Martin did not dive.

In light of the fact that the referee saw everything differently to pretty well everybody else at Turf Moor, I would say that there's not a cat in hell's chance that he will review any of his decisions - he will remain utterly convinced that he was right and everyone was wrong. That's what arrogant pr1cks do.

PistoldPete2

Martin often plays as the Rams only out and out striker. The Rams have more possession per game than any other team apart from QPR.   

Result: he gets more balls palyed to him than most others strikers. He gets fouled more than anyone else. He gets penalised more than most too.

Thats just the numbers game.

If refs like the w@nk stain of a ref  on Saturday are playing  the numbers game in deciding whether he dived or not instead of using their own fecking eyes then hell yes, Chris Martin is being hard done by.

I can't believe someone is seriously suggesting he has let us down. 13 goals and 6 assists so far, in the league that is. Propably going to be the 20-goal striker we've been crying for who knows how long.

And eventhoug I'm defending him, I'm not a massive fan of his playing style.

And eventhoug I'm defending him, I'm not a massive fan of his playing style.

How come?

(Genuine question. I have to put that because there's so many sly digs back and forth I don't want you to think I'm gunning for you! x)

I don't enjoy the ugly stuff he HAS to do. That just comes because he's a lone striker.

When he's actually got time to take a couple of touches I think he's quite a smart player who uses the ball well.

I don't think he enjoys going shoulder to shoulder with CB's. That's why he likes to feel a hand on his shoulder or nudge in the back. He's no Steve Howard/Kevin Nolan/Andy Carroll. Those are quite ugly players to watch for me.

Why I rate Martin so highly is that he can do the ugly stuff, the stuff that is really important for the team. Yet he also is an intelligent player. I think our system plays to his strengths.

Won't be long until I have his posters on my wall...

How come?

(Genuine question. I have to put that because there's so many sly digs back and forth I don't want you to think I'm gunning for you! x)

I don't enjoy the ugly stuff he HAS to do. That just comes because he's a lone striker.

When he's actually got time to take a couple of touches I think he's quite a smart player who uses the ball well.

I don't think he enjoys going shoulder to shoulder with CB's. That's why he likes to feel a hand on his shoulder or nudge in the back. He's no Steve Howard/Kevin Nolan/Andy Carroll. Those are quite ugly players to watch for me.

Biggest reason is his 'lack of balance'... And for me that really is big thing. Just ******* hate it. When Alexei Eemenko Jr. plaeyd in Finnish national team, I couldn't watch those games. Got too annoyed. Luckily Martin ain't as bad, would be too tough for me to take.

But as you say, he is playing as a target man without heading skills or I would say lack of toughness to put his head where it hurts. It eventually causes lots of unnecessary freekicks. I've got no problems when he is playing more aggressively, though (like I think he is nowadays doing). Should just challenge CB for headers too, not only when ball is on deck or bouncing nearby.

He is good and his style suits us very well, but he shouldn't improve much to be a LOT better. And that need of improvement is IMO, mostly in psychical side of his game.

This could actually work in our favour.

For 3 simple reasons.

1. It can galvanise a squad. An us v them mentality. If we had simply lost to Burnley 2-1 in a hard battled content, we'd still be 5 points behind them, but without the fire in the belly.

2. Martin I think, has needed a rest for a while. It's only one game and to be honest, if we can't beat Millwall at home without him, we don't deserve to go up.

3. Because it was such a high profile cock up, and mistreatment of Martin, it might actually go a long way to banishing the referees opinion of Martin. This ref was far from the first that used the cry wolf idea with him.

Promotion is still in our hands.

It's not beyond the realms for us to get 30 odd points in the run in.

I am surprised nobody has picked up on Shackell constantly at the ref, he did it when he was here and used to really irritate me. I think that had as much influence on the ref, along with the crowd, than anything else.

PistoldPete2

I can't see the ref reviewing the match. Too busy admiring himself in the mirror.

Have you seen the photo of him? Nothing to admire about that.

Archived