Where will we be at end of 2013?

ariotofmyown

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that the result on saturday just shows how good we really are - we beat a top side in watford, despite maybe not playing as well as we can. We have the right mentality and go for the jugular rather than sit back and hope for a point like clough used to. I think the only thing holding us back is our shaky defence...however with whitbread and wisdom coming in I feel we are making progress in this department.

I agree a good december/new year period could very well set us up to mount a proper play off push, but we can't allow ourselves to get too carried away, i'd happily take a 7th or 8th placed finish then build a proper season long promotion campaign where teams shudder at the thought of coming to Pride Park

Looking at the run of games I'd be disappointed with anything less than 21 points.

we should win our next 5 home games. No question there is 15 points.

beat 2 of Bournemouth, Charlton, Huddersfield or Barnsley away.. there is 21. 

but since it's the season to be jolly.. I'd take the whole lot. 

27 points for me. 

I expect us to beat Birmingham, Wednesday, Boro, Charlton, Doncaster & Barnsley.

Bournemouth, Wigan & Huddersfield will be tough so I'll go with a draw against them.

And lose against QPR & Blackpool.

That's 21 points from 11 games! I'd say that's too good to be true but it's easily achievable when you break down the fixtures. I wouldn't even say QPR & Blackpool are nailed-on losses either.

I guess if we do the business it won't matter how good the other teams are.. If we get 75 points we'll be in the playoffs regardless..

However, what's suprised me so far is that none of the top have had a real outstanding blip.. I know Forest have drawn against the likes of Doncaster, Middlesbrough and Bournemouth but then again we've drawn against Ipswich, Blackburn and Bolton..

What I'm yet to see is the top teams losing games against the bottom lot where you think 'they reallyshould have won that'

We've lost against Burnley, Forest, Leicester and Reading.. Now the other likely top 6 sides..

Reading lost away at Blackpool andBurnley

Forest lost away at Wigan

Burnley away at Brighton

QPR haven't lost yet

Watford have lost to us, Wigan away and Blackpool away

Leicester have lost to Doncaster and Charlton

So there you have it, only Leicester have lost to the teams at the bottom.. I'd say between the 7 of us (I'm excluding Blackpool as they'll fall away), together we've probably played over 35 games against sides in the bottom 10 or so and we've only lost 2 games combined (both Leicester)

That's an incredible stat.. And shows a clear divide going on.

Things is though, there are a number of other teams in the bottom half who could suddenly pick up form and begin to take points off both us and the current top 6.

Think Boro, Bolton, Wigan, Brighton and maybe even Ipswich. Any of those could have a late surge of form, although the nature of the table makes it look like if you're in the bottom half this season, you can already forget the top 6.

I agree that QPR, Leicester, Watford, Forest and Burnley are your safe bets. The first four on account of their squads, and Burnley purely based on points accumulated.

Us reaching the top 6 would require us beating some of those 5 and hoping that surging teams don't take many points off us but do take points of them.

It's not a simple case of working out how many points we need, because the league table is a very organic thing. The only thing you can really go on is to ask come April, will there only be 5 better teams than us?

Given that I don't think this squad has really been underperforming, we need to overtake at least two teams with the players we sign in January, or bring in on loan.

I suspect some people on here are deluded about the points necessary to reach the playoffs. Last year the Championship was very even and a record low of 68 points plus a decent goal difference got you a spot. Three average teams went up; three good ones came down; a lot of others strengthened. Project sixth place at the moment and you're looking at 84 points for the 6th playoff spot. It might not be quite that, but the minimum is going to be high 70s and it will very possibly be over 80. Yes I know that's exceptional, but so was last season.

The top 7 are already away and we're playing catchup. If we keep doing well, by the end of 2013 we'll be somewhere between 6th and 8th place. Reading have started to get their act together and by the end of the year, I expect them and QPR will be looking to break away at the top. That leaves us fighting for a playoff spot with Fester, Burnley, Florist, Watford, Blackpool, and anyone on the charge from below. Already a quarter of the season's gone. We've lost 4 matches while the most any of the current playoff teams have lost is 2. To catch them we really will need some run. I say we'll go into 2014 in 7th and hope we'll mount a push to go higher.

I suspect some people on here are deluded about the points necessary to reach the playoffs. Last year the Championship was very even and a record low of 68 points plus a decent goal difference got you a spot. Three average teams went up; three good ones came down; a lot of others strengthened. Project sixth place at the moment and you're looking at 84 points for the 6th playoff spot. It might not be quite that, but the minimum is going to be high 70s and it will very possibly be over 80. Yes I know that's exceptional, but so was last season.

The top 7 are already away and we're playing catchup. If we keep doing well, by the end of 2013 we'll be somewhere between 6th and 8th place. Reading have started to get their act together and by the end of the year, I expect them and QPR will be looking to break away at the top. That leaves us fighting for a playoff spot with Fester, Burnley, Florist, Watford, Blackpool, and anyone on the charge from below. Already a quarter of the season's gone. We've lost 4 matches while the most any of the current playoff teams have lost is 2. To catch them we really will need some run. I say we'll go into 2014 in 7th and hope we'll mount a push to go higher.

What I quite like though is the 2 point gap either side of us, that could be really cemented this weekend.

I think we missed out last season was a greta chance to get in the top 6 and we blew it.

This year Forest and Fester are more consistent and QPR and Burnley are going well.  So it will be tough to get in top 6 this year especially after an indifferent start.

Birmingham - W

QPR - L

Shef Weds - W (best do as I'm taking my lad for the first time!)

Bour'th - L

Wigan - D

Boro - W

Blackpool - W

Charlton - L

Donni - W

H'field - D

Barnsley - D

That'll put us on 36 so where that'll put is is anyone's guess, all we can do is concentrate on the next game.  I do think out of the teams above us at the moment Blackpool will drop off.  If it wasn't for the boss' son doing the business they'd probably be around 12th.  I think Burnley will start to dropping a few more points as well.

qpr to be top, really good squad for this level, harry managing them well.

burnley second, sean dyche has got them flying  :D

after that i'm not so sure. i reckon watford, forest, leicester, reading, blackpool, wigan and us will be the ones vying for the play-offs at new year.

that being said, we can't know how mcclaren's reign will continue. we've got a 100% record under him so far, if we continue at this rate with him as boss we'll have 120 points at the end of the season...  :ph34r:

I think your logic is flawed. Last season after 12 games 6th place was 20 points. Projected over the season it would have been 80 points for playoffs and as you point out this didn't happen.

Bris makes a fair point regarding the top sides not dropping points so far.

However, if we've learnt anything it's that the Championship is so unpredictable. One or two teams in the top six could go without a win in 10 and the whole shape of the league changes. Boro did it last year, they were well set and there's no real reason for it, it just happens. Similarly, one or two sides could go on an epic run and come out of nowhere. Wigan have a couple of games in hand and once their European adventure ends they could easily go on a run and break into the top 6.

It's unlikely that anyone apart from one or two sides will be able to maintain such consistency throughout the whole season. So whilst the league looks pretty set at this stage it's still early doors.

All we can really do is get as many points on the board as we can over the next couple of months to give ourselves a fighting chance in the new year. If we're in a decent position come January the board may be willing to unlock some funds to go for it in the second half of the season.

I still think we'll come up just short, without really breaking into the top 6 for longer than a week here and there but it's impossible to predict this league.

I guess if we do the business it won't matter how good the other teams are.. If we get 75 points we'll be in the playoffs regardless..

However, what's suprised me so far is that none of the top have had a real outstanding blip.. I know Forest have drawn against the likes of Doncaster, Middlesbrough and Bournemouth but then again we've drawn against Ipswich, Blackburn and Bolton..

What I'm yet to see is the top teams losing games against the bottom lot where you think 'they reallyshould have won that'

We've lost against Burnley, Forest, Leicester and Reading.. Now the other likely top 6 sides..

Reading lost away at Blackpool andBurnley

Forest lost away at Wigan

Burnley away at Brighton

QPR haven't lost yet

Watford have lost to us, Wigan away and Blackpool away

Leicester have lost to Doncaster and Charlton

So there you have it, only Leicester have lost to the teams at the bottom.. I'd say between the 7 of us (I'm excluding Blackpool as they'll fall away), together we've probably played over 35 games against sides in the bottom 10 or so and we've only lost 2 games combined (both Leicester)

That's an incredible stat.. And shows a clear divide going on.

Strange facts.

This is division where anyone can beat you. Right?

Yep me too. A lot of the teams quoted ain't that good. Leicester are scraping results, Florest, I believe will blow up and I've to doubts about Burnley's boss. All we need to do is get our act together.

Have seven games in December and play new years day. Them eight games will make the season pretty much, good run of form and hopefully we'll be in the top six after those fixtures. Then a case of matching other teams below us to stay there.

Home form is vital, it's a welcome change getting wins away from home. I'd still put money on us getting more points and wins at home. Birmingham, sheff wed, boro, Blackpool, charlton and Doncaster are the next six home games. Hope to win four or five of those as a minimum. Six may be unlikely but is very achievable.

Start to find last seasons home form plus more wins away from home and I think top six is very realistic.

I think 5 teams are effectively nailed on for the play-offs this year. Leicester/Forest/Watford may finish 5th, or 6th etc but they'll be in the top 6 come the end. Leicester or Watford could be the team that slips-up.

QPR- Solid defence and high caliber players

Reading- Good selection of players, effectively an improvement on their PL team

Forest- Strength in depth and manager with know-how

Leicester- Don't rate Pearson myself but a solid defence will get them through

Watford- GOALS AND FOOKIN LOADS OF 'EM

Then there's a selection of teams fighting for the remaining spot

Burnley- So many points on the board already, will take lower mid-table/relegation form for them to lose out. The only reason I put them in this category is the possibility of Ings/Vokes/Shackell getting sold/injured.

Derby- Goals, decent Coach, decent football but a shaky defence.

Wigan- Best selection of players out of this category, manager who's got out of this league before.

There are some other outsiders put I think these teams are probably the most likely.

It's gonna be tough.

Archived