Where will we be at end of 2013?

ariotofmyown

Just been looking at fixtures and by end of December we will have played everyone once and be halfway through the season as the transfer window opens. I know anyone can beat anyone in this league but our next 11 games are much nicer than our matches so far.

Away trips to Wigan and QPR are the hardest looking fixtures but the only other top half teams we are playing are Blackpool and Bournemouth. To be on track for 74 points and the playoffs, we need 19 points from next 11 games to halfway to 74.

Who thinks we'll get 19 points from these games? It's difficult to predict what will happen. Under Nigel we never managed to keep good form going for long. It was either a few wins then a few defeats, or alternate wins and defeats. This squad looks much stronger than we've had in ages though and let's hope the momentum from Steve's honeymoon period will keep going until we have the confidence to believe we can keep it going.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just love to go an big unbeaten run, what was our longest unbeaten run under Nigel Clough? Can't imagine more than 6/7 games at a guess? Any resident stat people here?

Just love to go an big unbeaten run, what was our longest unbeaten run under Nigel Clough? Can't imagine more than 6/7 games at a guess? Any resident stat people here?

Need to sign a Stimac type player then, that was the last BIG unbeaten run.

6 games - 18 Sep-19 Oct 2010

Sat 18-Sep-10 A Barnsley          D 1-1
Sat 25-Sep-10 H Crystal Palace    W 5-0
Tue 28-Sep-10 H Middlesbrough     W 3-1
Sat 02-Oct-10 A Swansea City      D 0-0
Sat 16-Oct-10 H Preston North End W 3-0
Tue 19-Oct-10 A Doncaster Rovers  W 3-2

December is a decent opportunity to grab points.

I'm not that scared of QPR. I'd rather play them than Watford again. They're tight defensively (not just statistically but having seen them they are tough) but its only thanks to a good few penalties I think that they've got the points they have. Largely the threat is Austin. They aren't free flowing.

With Watford the danger was our shakey defending v their free flowing attack.

With QPR I just don't see them getting at us quite as often or quickly. Probably tougher to get through. I imagine Hughes will get some tough treatment by an experienced player and Martin will need to make the most of limited time on the ball.

6 games - 18 Sep-19 Oct 2010

Sat 18-Sep-10 A Barnsley          D 1-1
Sat 25-Sep-10 H Crystal Palace    W 5-0
Tue 28-Sep-10 H Middlesbrough     W 3-1
Sat 02-Oct-10 A Swansea City      D 0-0
Sat 16-Oct-10 H Preston North End W 3-0
Tue 19-Oct-10 A Doncaster Rovers  W 3-2

Matched it in 11/12

"n4ifcYD" alt="n4ifcYD">

I'm not getting carried away

We still can't defend set pieces and teams won't be as open as Ipswich or Leeds were at Pride Park

I guess the only way we'll do it is by going for wins.. I've said on many occasions before, any draw at NPC level is 2 points dropped.. It's only ever good to draw a game if it's a season defining point (ie. stop the other team from winning and we finish in the top 6)

Matched it in 11/12

"n4ifcYD" alt="n4ifcYD">

Was just about to say "not sure how I missed that" til I spotted the Palace game was in the FA Cup.

If we're gonna include cup games there could have been a longer run, although as we haven't had too many cup runs it might not take too long to check. ;-)

Archived