Will Hughes - Summer 2013 rumours

-JW-

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hughes being injured towards the end of last season did us a lot of favours.  Took him off everyone's radar for a bit just as the hype was reaching fever pitch.  I reckon he'll be here for this season and if we haven't made a decent push for promotion he'll go.  

Have people forgotten that just before his injury he was distinctly average, and some where calling for him to be rested.

Or is it my 40 something memory

.....yes but was that

(1) because it was his 1st season AND he was only 17

(2) because he was carrying an injury or

(3) because he's distinctly average ?

Yeah, I think all our players had dips last season and we barely ever saw a team performance of everyone in form - this should of been expected for the age of our team, and which makes our finishing position (still) commendable.

Fielding and Legzdins - both had peaks and troughs, Legzdins managed a couple months of consistency just after he first broke into the team.

Brayford Buxton, Keogh, and Bryson perhaps our most consistent players - but, they all went through patches of mediocrity but 80% of their play was good.

Hughes and Coutts early on in the season were both our best 2 players, without question - both players also slipped off around christmas time, and in the new year.

Hendrick started the season appallingly, was our worst player for 2/3 months easily - but had a break, came back a completely different player and finished strongest. 

Roberts at the start had good performance levels, they dropped off and continued that way unfortunately - Forsyth coming in was needed! 

Sammon played too many games, and found it hard to keep up intensity - towards the end of the season where he had a rest, both times came back and looked a completely different player, had his good games, had his bad - overall he did a job, but just didn't seem to click for him.

Ward was really consistent, but also injured a lot... and so on and so forth.

I think if our players can keep up a good level of fitness, and consistency next season I think the sky is the limit especially in this division!

Yeah, I think all our players had dips last season and we barely ever saw a team performance of everyone in form - this should of been expected for the age of our team, and which makes our finishing position (still) commendable.

Fielding and Legzdins - both had peaks and troughs, Legzdins managed a couple months of consistency just after he first broke into the team.

Brayford Buxton, Keogh, and Bryson perhaps our most consistent players - but, they all went through patches of mediocrity but 80% of their play was good.

Hughes and Coutts early on in the season were both our best 2 players, without question - both players also slipped off around christmas time, and in the new year.

Hendrick started the season appallingly, was our worst player for 2/3 months easily - but had a break, came back a completely different player and finished strongest. 

Roberts at the start had good performance levels, they dropped off and continued that way unfortunately - Forsyth coming in was needed! 

Sammon played too many games, and found it hard to keep up intensity - towards the end of the season where he had a rest, both times came back and looked a completely different player, had his good games, had his bad - overall he did a job, but just didn't seem to click for him.

Ward was really consistent, but also injured a lot... and so on and so forth.

I think if our players can keep up a good level of fitness, and consistency next season I think the sky is the limit especially in this division!

This annoys me, and not just you have said it. There's a huge difference between struggling (to hit your optimum) and being appalling. Hendrick was nowhere near our worst player in one game let alone over a lengthy period.

I think Clough said "he's struggling to hit the heights of last season" and people now rewrite his performances. He himself said he was disappointed, but that doesn't mean he was appalling.

We ALL know, if he was appalling for more than a couple of games, the fans would've turned on him, ask yourself this, can you remember groaning at him more than normal? Did he get booed? Did anyone cheer if he was substituted?

Have people forgotten that just before his injury he was distinctly average, and some where calling for him to be rested.

Or is it my 40 something memory

.....yes but was that

(1) because it was his 1st season AND he was only 17

(2) because he was carrying an injury or

(3) because he's distinctly average ?

Will Hughes is distinctly average? Are you for real?

Or is it my 40 something memory?

I think it's a testament to his ability the fact that he was distinctly average while injured, during his dèbut season, while taking A Level exams and before he had even completed puberty!

Maybe a Pirlo beard would help?

This annoys me, and not just you have said it. There's a huge difference between struggling (to hit your optimum) and being appalling. Hendrick was nowhere near our worst player in one game let alone over a lengthy period.

I think Clough said "he's struggling to hit the heights of last season" and people now rewrite his performances. He himself said he was disappointed, but that doesn't mean he was appalling.

We ALL know, if he was appalling for more than a couple of games, the fans would've turned on him, ask yourself this, can you remember groaning at him more than normal? Did he get booed? Did anyone cheer if he was substituted?

He hid, the first couple of months at least he was being carried - he offered so very little. 

It's to be expected, but, none-the-less it happened and he is still a young player. I am far from having ago at him, but, he was a passenger early on and for me was our worst player in more than a few games because he just couldn't/didn't offer anything. I think after the Wolves game (one of his better ones early on) he explained how he was feeling low on fitness and he was struggling to get back up there, now, if he was to do the same this year I would be irritated!

Hendrick, along with Bryson and Hughes hold the key for us next season, if we're to do what is asked - them 3 particularly are the way we're going to do it.

Now, Hughes is still young - I expect him, and I guarantee he will have a dip in some form or another and we will have to accept that. Bryson is the least talented out of the group, yet probably the most integral for his energy and his consistency is a strong factor and gives us a good foundation to build on. Hendrick is coming into his third year of first team professional football, still young but he will be closing in on 100 games in this division so is as experienced as any young players come - he needs to keep up his second half form for next season, through the whole year.

It's unfair, and I admit that - but, the way he breaks up Hendrick is going to have to be the difference for us. He cannot have another 2 months scrambling up to fitness, he needs to be on point from august to may! 

Why. What, has this got to do with anything?

I read a post saying that it was good that he was shielded away from eyes so that other teams couldn't scout him. As I said, he was injured yes, but prior to the injury, which was a bit mysterious, his form was below average in my opinion.

He hid, the first couple of months at least he was being carried - he offered so very little. 

I'm impressed - Hendrick was able to hide from his team-mates and manager, yet you managed to spot him at a glance. You must be the world hide-and-seek champion.

I think Hendrick's contribution to the ten-man beating of Forest saved him from some abuse to be fair. He was bad (I won't go so far as to say awful) at the start of the season and I think people would have got on his back if he hadn't scored that winner. Harsh but true.

I think Hendrick's contribution to the ten-man beating of Forest saved him from some abuse to be fair. He was bad (I won't go so far as to say awful) at the start of the season and I think people would have got on his back if he hadn't scored that winner. Harsh but true.

:huh:

Think you've lapsed a year - that was 11/12.

:huh:

Think you've lapsed a year - that was 11/12.

What? I know.

I'm just saying that when a lot of fans think of Hendrick, they think of the winner against Forest. Even though it was a season after, he always had that positive mark against him, even before he'd kicked a ball. And when he was playing poorly, I think some people still thought "oh, well he still scored the winner against Forest".

Archived