Will Hughes - Summer 2013 rumours

-JW-

Derby boss Nigel Clough admits he faces an uphill battle to keep hold of talented youngster Will Hughes in the summer.

The 18-year-old has reportedly attracted interest from the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Barcelona and recently Manchester City, with rumours Roberto Mancini will launch a £10million bid, and then loan Hughes back to Derby.

And Clough knows, as much as he would like to keep his best players, with the club in the financial predicament they are in, he would be powerless to prevent his prized possession from moving on.

"If somebody blows us out of the water with a massive offer then he will go, but that is the same at any club,'' Clough told the Daily Star.

''Every player has his price, in any league, but we will always try to keep our best players.

''Our aim is to get into a position financially to hang on to them." - http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11696/8699041/Championship-Derby-County-boss-Nigel-Clough-admits-struggle-to-keep-Will-Hughes

If that was the case I think that would be great for everyone involved. 

£10 million would give us a good transfer kitty if we were to get half of it to spend (which is unlikely), and would get us 4 or 5 excellent players. Loaning Hughes back to us also allows him to continue to develop and not get lost in the system like Scott Sinclair has recently.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

''Our aim is to get into a position financially to hang on to them."

Is this setting us up for selling one or two we'd prefer not to like Brayford or hinting at the good fee and loan-back?

or just a comment that should be taken at face value?

''Our aim is to get into a position financially to hang on to them."

Is this setting us up for selling one or two we'd prefer not to like Brayford or hinting at the good fee and loan-back?

The only way we're going to get into a position to be able to hold onto our best youngsters is by getting into the premiership. Even if we offered them the same wages, if they had the choice between coming up against Van Persie, Suarez and Bale or Andy Reid,  Jason Scotland and Rory Delap who would you choose?

With some more good players coming through in the likes of Hanson and Lowe, not to mention Bennett not even turning 17 yet, we need to make some strides so these players want to stick around.

and then loan Hughes back to Derby.

I still fail to understand why we'd want him back on loan... Keep him? Yes please... Sell for loadsacash? If the loadsacash is really really loadsacash then okay... But why take him back? It's not going to help us over the next 2/3 years is it? Would just mean one of Bryson or Hendrick isn't getting game time...

If we sell him and get him loaned back we:

-Wouldn't have to sell Brayford

-Keep one of the best players to come out of our youth system for a year.

-Buy some players who're actually good

-Raise the reputation of the club and our youth facilities

"If somebody blows us out of the water with a massive offer then he will go, but that is the same at any club,'' Clough told the Daily Star.

I like how they make out that this is some exclusive when it's basically some regurgitated quotes from Clough's interviews on Radio Derby or something. I doubt Clough has ever actually spoken to the Daily Star!

I can't see Hughes going anywhere near Man City, Man Utd or Chelsea to be honest, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs maybe but perhaps even more likely one of the middling clubs to start with so that after he's been loaned back to us for a season or two he stands more chance at breaking into the first team.

I still don't think he'll go anywhere this summer to be honest, I think clubs are more likely to see how he develops at the start of next season and maybe take a view in January, when he's loaned back for the rest of the season.

He's still got an incredible amount to learn and hopefully he recognises he's best off where he is right now.

I still fail to understand why we'd want him back on loan... Keep him? Yes please... Sell for loadsacash? If the loadsacash is really really loadsacash then okay... But why take him back? It's not going to help us over the next 2/3 years is it? Would just mean one of Bryson or Hendrick isn't getting game time...

I'm inclined to agree with Leicester Ram on this...

I have insider information, that at some point, this season or next, Will Hughes will be sold to another club, for a sum of money. 

I am not sure of what club, or what the fee is.

how do you know this there's no evidence?

:D

Read the DET article those quotes have been taken from - gives the context that Hughes will only leave for silly money. It has the headline Clough confident Rams can keep hold of Will Hughes

Steve Nicholson

NIGEL Clough is confident Derby County can keep hold of midfielder Will Hughes for next season.

Intense speculation surrounded Hughes before and during the January transfer window as the Premier League’s top clubs monitored his progress.

The youngster, who turned 18 only last month, made 35 consecutive appearances for the Rams this season and impressed in his two games for the England Under-21 team.

A groin injury in mid-February ruled him out for two months and silenced transfer rumours.

He returned for the final three matches and Clough expects the player to be a key part of the side next season, unless Derby receive a “ridiculous offer” for him.

Asked about hanging onto the likes of Hughes and 21-year-old midfielder Jeff Hendrick, Clough said: “We are going to try, that is the idea.

“One or two on the periphery might have to go to fund things but we are going to try and keep the main group together.

“That is very important.

“And I think we can.

“That is what we have spent the last four years doing, getting into a position financially to have some assets on the pitch and hang onto them.

“If somebody blows us out of the water with an offer, they will go, but that is the same at any club. Every player has his price, in any league, but we are going to do our best to keep them.

“I don’t think they want to go anywhere, which is important.

“I think they want to stay because they realise we have got a chance.

“Look at what we have got on the pitch and the age of the team. It is not a team that is going to need breaking up in the next few seasons.

“We just need a little bit more experience.”

Clough is looking to bring in players in the 24 to 28 age bracket. His targets are Chris Martin, Craig Forsyth, James Vaughan, Alex Baptiste and goalkeeper Lee Grant, who is 30.

Clough added: “We might have only one or two players over 30 in the squad going into next season.”

Read more: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Clough-confident-Rams-hold-Hughes/story-18904892-detail/story.html#ixzz2SioNBOsq

i'd snap there hand off for 10 mil, don't see much point in getting him back on loan if Nigel persists with both him Hendrick and Bryson in the same side.

So would I - and I wouldn't leave a forwarding address either.

Archived