Craig Forsyth

-JW-

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok if he is a serious contendor for our first choice left back next season we should look at it seriously.

Pros:

Young

Versatile - LB, LW, LM,

Fantastic aerial ability

Low wages

Low transfer fee

Great crossing ability

Tackle timing seems decent

Cons:

Lacks pace across ten yards - showed he can keep up with a winger in a longer chase but lacks a bit of agility in close quarters.

Composure on the ball 

Experience - not played much football

Fans expecting a quality left back may think it is an unambitious signing. 

Misplaces many passes when playing the ball inside to the central midfielders. Tends to go through the channels.

On balance would be a great squad addition but will he be good enough to start?

Ok if he is a serious contendor for our first choice left back next season we should look at it seriously.

Pros:

Young

Versatile - LB, LW, LM,

Fantastic aerial ability

Low wages

Low transfer fee

Great crossing ability

Tackle timing seems decent

Cons:

Lacks pace across ten yards - showed he can keep up with a winger in a longer chase but lacks a bit of agility in close quarters.

Composure on the ball 

Experience - not played much football

Fans expecting a quality left back may think it is an unambitious signing. 

Misplaces many passes when playing the ball inside to the central midfielders. Tends to go through the channels.

On balance would be a great squad addition but will he be good enough to start?

Think you've summed it up pretty well. I think people expecting the left back equivalent of Brayford are going to be disappointed. This guy seems solid and hes come up against some pretty decent players while he's played at left back too. He's still young so theres room for him to improve too.

He's on a freebie and i'd much rather get him and spend the money elsewhere than fork out a possible 1mil for Aidy White who potentially is no better?

Interesting, Clough brings in a player no one has ever much heard of/rates and he turns out more than capable of doing a job aka Buxton, Brayford, Bailey, Legz, Coutts, Kuqi to name a few.

Oh but, he did screw up massively for bringing in then letting go McGuire who is a wonderful player and is currently tearing up the division with Sheff Weds.

Imagine if Clough had been allowed to buy Hooper.

Interesting, Clough brings in a player no one has ever much heard of/rates and he turns out more than capable of doing a job aka Buxton, Brayford, Bailey, Legz, Coutts, Kuqi to name a few.

Oh but, he did screw up massively for bringing in then letting go McGuire who is a wonderful player and is currently tearing up the division with Sheff Weds.

Imagine if Clough had been allowed to buy Hooper.

Hooper would have been our Lambert, Murray, Austin, Holt etc. The striker that guarantees goals. Shame really although it proves clough has an eye for a decent player.

My man of the match today. Can't remember a cross coming in from his side - nothing came past him and he made some vital interceptions tucking in behind Buxton.

His distribution isn't fabulous, but he makes us a far more solid defensive unit.

The last 3 games where he has played left back, is as solid defensively as I can remember seeing us since the Billy Davies days! I think he is a good viable option, would be disappointed not to see us offer him something as long as the price is right. 

I'd like to see him and another left back come in, but, forsyth can play anywhere on the left hand side so is a good option for that, although must say at left back I am more comfortable with him than I thought. 

Surprised me no end. 

Done a steady job and whilst Roberts is an excellent pro, his lack of height has been targeted by some teams...if he's cheap (wages-wise), would be a good addition to the squad.

I'm not sure yet about Martin - technical sound and fairly intelligent but zero pace and little agility...not sure his wages would be worth the trouble (within our budget anyway) - would prefer a different type of forward I think but he still has time to impress.

I'm almost certain both Martin and Forsyth are as good as signed for next season now that their loans have been extended.

It's interesting how our opinions have changed on Forsyth so quickly. A few were quick to question the signing, but yet again Clough knows what he's looking for when we're not forced to just get players in to fill the squad.

To put it bluntly, the guy is young, solid defensively and can cross a ball. He's certainly worth a shout for that leftback position next season. The question though is what to do about squad depth. Do we bring in Forsyth for him just to cover for left back and left midfield (and a bench option of course), do we sign Hoganson or another young left back up for longer, or a mix of both. It'll be an interesting off season. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with Forsyth and Hoganson as our leftback options for next season as things stand.

I'm almost certain both Martin and Forsyth are as good as signed for next season now that their loans have been extended.

It's interesting how our opinions have changed on Forsyth so quickly. A few were quick to question the signing, but yet again Clough knows what he's looking for when we're not forced to just get players in to fill the squad.

To put it bluntly, the guy is young, solid defensively and can cross a ball. He's certainly worth a shout for that leftback position next season. The question though is what to do about squad depth. Do we bring in Forsyth for him just to cover for left back and left midfield (and a bench option of course), do we sign Hoganson or another young left back up for longer, or a mix of both. It'll be an interesting off season. I certainly wouldn't be disappointed with Forsyth and Hoganson as our leftback options for next season as things stand.

I'm not sure that too many were agaist Forsythe before seeing him play. Most, like me, had simply never seen or even heard of him.

There is this slightly annoying theme on here sometimes that Derby fans don't give players a fair chance. I would argue that they do. If a player comes in and does wel, people acknowledge this. If a player is poor, they also say so. Some signings are a more exciting prospect than others, but once here, I would argue that every player starts with a clean slate.

Where I agree is that Fortsythe and Hoganson seem like a perfectly adequate (and seemingly cheap) solution to our left back problem.

I'm not sure that too many were agaist Forsythe before seeing him play. Most, like me, had simply never seen or even heard of him.

There is this slightly annoying theme on here sometimes that Derby fans don't give players a fair chance. I would argue that they do. If a player comes in and does wel, people acknowledge this. If a player is poor, they also say so. Some signings are a more exciting prospect than others, but once here, I would argue that every player starts with a clean slate.

Where I agree is that Fortsythe and Hoganson seem like a perfectly adequate (and seemingly cheap) solution to our left back problem.

I must say that I saw the exact opposite when we were originally linked with him. Mainly people saying "we've got no ambition because I've never heard of him" or "he couldn't even start for Bradford, why are we getting him?" In all honesty, arguably the most negative response to a signing I've seen. And that's from Twitter and on here.

Forsyth might get recalled to join the Lord's good work it seems....

So Watford could be without four centre backs on Saturday but Zola insists he isn't short of defensive cover.

Zola said: "I do not think Matthew Briggs' injury is a big problem and any way, we have cover in Marco Cassetti, who has played very well in the middle of defence. "We also have the likes of Craig Forsyth who is on loan at Derby and can be recalled if needed,"

Archived