Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

I get the feeling that whether Martin has a feeble end to the season or whether he scores a goal in each of the remaining fixtures he will be coming to us permanently next season which does rather worry me.....are a handful of games enough time to properly assess the quality and calibre of a potential signing?

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin was never here to be the 20+ goal scorer. I think Ward's injury has affected how Clough would prefer to utilise the three of them (+Sammon).

Something like a...

------------Martin

Sammon---------Ward

....line up was the preference when Martin first came in, and is pretty much how we lined up against Watford away (in the second half anyway) if I remember rightly.

As many have noticed, he likes to drop deep and be the link between midfield and up front.

Don't know what's happened to his touch though, looked brilliant against Leicester.

Like I said earlier in the thread, still think if we sign him we won't see the best of him until next season.

He has been pretty poor the last couple of games. I still think he could do a good job for us especially as a freebie. Dont think he should be the only one brought in though.

He scored what seemed to me to be a perfectly good goal yesterday even though he played bad.

I think with a good preseason behind him and some confidence he could definitely be an improvement on what we've got

I think there are better options than Martin, but if he comes in on a free and Nige can get him working then theres no reason he cant do well. Just because he is out of form now doesnt mean he will stay out of form, he clearly has a ton of ability and a great first touch.

He's not fantastic, he's alright, would be a decent addition to the squad as he has scored 3 in 8 (2 wrongly ruled out) but if there was a chance to bring in a natural goal scorer instead, that would be preferable I think even if they were from lower league

Nope, not for me. I'm sorry but he was shocking today. Worst player on the pitch.. Missed a sitter, doesn't work, no pace and what really annoys me is he gives away so many fouls. Whenever he gives the ball away he pulls the opisition back and gives away pointless free kicks instead of chasing the ball down... 

He's not the answer to a striker issue. Nicky Maynard or Simeon Jackson please Clough :p

I actually like him as a player but it's quite obvious he's not fit enough to handle playing week in, week out (at the moment anyway).

Wouldn't be surprised either if we're already on our way to signing him permanently. I do reckon though, with a full pre-season under his belt, he'll be a lot better next season than he has been in the last few games.

I must be missing something here. I would agree he looked tidy at Birmingham, but no more than that. He has no pace, can't head the ball and falls over more often than Suarez. He has never proved himself as a regular goalscorer and currently looks far from fit. I would say he offers no more than Mason Bennett, who I would love to see given a real chance. 

Martin is too similar to Sammon and offers a similar lack of goalscoring threat. He doesn't look committed to me and slows to a walk far too readily.

I wouldn't be keen on him as a signing.

...anyone coming round to my view yet? I just cannot see what he does to trouble defenders.

...anyone coming round to my view yet? I just cannot see what he does to trouble defenders.

he is different to Sammon, in the fact that given the chance to score with his feet i'd fancy him, Sammon not so.

the problem is getting into those positions as his lack of pace doesn't allow him to make easy space.

Archived