Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

Everyone should know that Martin will not do the running.

Norwich fans warned us before hand he is a bit of a berbatov. In that he does not put effort in defensively.

However having watched him play:

He makes up for this by dropping in to attacking midfield when we defend and makes intelligent runs when we attack.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think he 'dropped into midfield' because he was knackered again. Mind you, it could have been out of embarrassment at being next to poor Conor, who didn't have one of his better games.

Martin is a luxury in that he isn't a prolific scorer. That's why we have to make sure he's fit and committed before we set any strategy around signing him, which would be paired with a need for a goal poaching partner with pace. If the Waghorn rumour is true, that pairing could work.

Not sure Ball will be back. Out on loan to Clough means 'don't want you anymore'.

That gives us an opportunity to go out and sign a different younger striker from the lower leagues on the cheap. Players like Tom pope and will Grigg would be worth a punt as they are on low wages and will only require a nominal fee.

That gives us an opportunity to go out and sign a different younger striker from the lower leagues on the cheap. Players like Tom pope and will Grigg would be worth a punt as they are on low wages and will only require a nominal fee.

tom pope is 27, wouldn't call him young

I heard a rumour we are still getting that Marc McNulty from Scotland so he could be the likely replacement

Fair point, pretty much anyone from the lower leagues then that can score and is on a low wage and available for the cheap.

Hopefully we find the next Charlie Austin, Grant Holt or Rickie Lambert

young players in L1 who are scoring a lot are paddy madden and grigg who are 24 and 21, not many young players scoring in L2 though.

Kee signed a new deal. I can see Grigg coming in all fairness. 19 goals this season in league 1, NI international, only 21 and out of contract so would require a jacobs type fee.

I dont see why we wouldn't sign him.

Obviously there will be a wage spiral war between championship clubs and that is where we could potentially come undone. 

Guess Sam can help on that front.

I dont see why we wouldn't sign him.

Obviously there will be a wage spiral war between championship clubs and that is where we could potentially come undone. 

Guess Sam can help on that front.

We've been linked with him on sky a few times and all. Seems like a Cloughie signing, likes to work hard

Looks like Clough wants him for next season

http://www.football365.com/norwich-city/8576039/-

Martin's initial month-long deal expired following Derby's 2-1 home win over rivals Leicester on Saturday evening, in which the Canaries striker scored his first goal for the Rams.

Clough hopes to have the 24-year-old back on loan when Derby resume Championship action after the international break at home to Bristol City on March 29.

"We are trying to keep Chris. We have been trying in the past week to sort something out and, hopefully, we are not too far away," said Clough following the victory over Leicester.

"I think he wants to stay and that is the main thing. He has done well for us. He is a calming influence. He gets hold of the ball, keeps it simple and retains possession."

Asked if Martin's loan could lead to a permanent deal for next season, Clough added: "That will purely depend on what Norwich's plans are for him."

Martin is out of contract at Carrow Road in the summer, although the Premier League club have a one-year option on the player.

Archived