Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

I just think we may be able to do better with similar wages.

I think on his day Martin would be good to have around but we really need to start pushing on now but would be good for the bench I guess.Looking at Cardiffs bench today it was obvious that we are no where near right now in what options we have.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Needles is right it does sort of just mean slow but its more than that, it means he hasn't got a change of pace. A lot of people have been moaning about Coutts lately but he is a good example of someone whom isn't one paced. He looks deceptively slow but when he has to he finds a burst of pace. 

Decent enough player, good touch, technique, shot. Don't really care if he doesn't run around like Sammon if he gets himself into good positions, links up play and scores goals.

Think we could do better, don't see that he improves us enough to warrant signing him though.

CHRIS Martin says he is open to the possibility of a permanent move to Derby County this summer.

Martin has two more games remaining of his loan spell from Premier League side Norwich City.

The striker is expected to leave Carrow Road when his contract expires at the end of the season.

CHRIS Martin says he is open to the possibility of a permanent move to Derby County this summer.

Martin has two more games remaining of his loan spell from Premier League side Norwich City.

The striker is expected to leave Carrow Road when his contract expires at the end of the season.

DEAL

250 Business Cards Only £13.95 Delivered (24hr) www.myprint-247.co.uk

myprint-247View Details

Derby manager Nigel Clough is believed to be weighing up a full-time move for the 24-year-old but expects to face competition from other clubs.

The player himself, who has scored twice in 11 appearances for the Rams, would be happy to return to Pride Park.

“Yes, I’d definitely be open to it,” he said.

“We’ll get the last two games out of the way and then go from there.

“I can’t really focus too much on it while the season is going on but I’ll be looking to finish strongly and see where that takes me.”

Martin, who arrived at Derby in February, says he has loved his time at the club so far.

“The fans have been great with me – and the lads as well,” he added.

“That’s the biggest thing for me – settling in at a new place – and I feel like I’ve been here all season, which is nice.

“My missus and little boy are up here as well and they have settled in well, too.

“The lads have made me feel very welcome and I’ve been made part of the group. That can only be a positive thing.

“I’ve definitely enjoyed it. I’ve enjoyed playing under the gaffer here and his coaching staff. They have given me a lot of confidence.

“Hopefully, I’ve repaid the faith they’ve shown in me by bringing me here.”

Martin has been impressed with what he has seen from the Rams this season and believes they are capable of challenging for promotion next term.

“We think we can be,” he said. “Since I’ve been here, I think we could have won every game we’ve played.

“Every single game, we’ve been in it and played some very good football – but we’ve been unlucky at times.”

Martin netted his second Derby goal in last weekend’s 3-1 victory over Peterborough United.

“We’ve played well against the team that was top of the form table and they couldn’t really get anywhere near us,” he said.

“They perhaps weren’t at their best but I think it bodes well for next season.

“When we’re on our game, we can live with anyone, though that’s the case with most teams in the Championship.

“You need a bit of luck and a bit of consistency but everyone can challenge – that’s the beauty of the Championship.”

Victory over Peterborough secured Derby’s Championship status for another year, with two games to spare.

“We can relax a bit now but I don’t think any of us were really that worried about it (relegation), to be perfectly honest,” said Martin.

“It’s always at the back of the minds of some people – probably more so the fans than the players.

“We don’t deserve to be down there, that’s for sure.

“Since I’ve been here, the lads have been excellent and we probably deserve to be pushing for the top six rather than the bottom.”

Derby can still finish in the top 10, with Saturday’s trip to Blackpool and a home match against Millwall remaining.

“The aim is to win our last two games and see where that takes us,” said Martin.

“We’re mathematically safe now and you could say the pressure has been lifted.

“We’ll be looking to go out with a bang.”

The Rams’ game plan at Blackpool may be partly dictated by the poor state of the Seasiders’ pitch.

Martin said: “They play on the coast and the pitch does look a bit like a beach!

“We’ve just got to try to adapt to that.

“Blackpool will probably be the most disappointed about it, because they do like to get the ball down and play.

“I don’t think it’s been ideal for them.”

After reading his latest interview, I would be surprised if it wasn't made permanent... I think he definitely needs a rough pre-season, and a kick up the arse but, I'm not against the signing - he has good technical ability, so lets work with that.

Wouldn't be overly fussed if we didn't take up his services, has only shown ability in patches and wouldn't be interested in signing a player that just adds to the squad numbers. On a separate point nice to see he is reciting the same Clough mantra about us being "unlucky" this season, Martin was very unlucky when he missed that header against Blackburn from point blank range, or is that skill and ability? Some people get the two subjects muddled.

I do feel Martin would be good with a full pre-season and us signing a striker that makes good runs to partner him - Jackson, Russell, Grigg etc.

He does have ability, I just hate his persistent fouls when he loses the ball and the fact he moans and moans and moans and moans... 

Looking at his goals for Norwich 2-3 years ago, he seems to have put on a lot of weight as well, BUT a good pre-season under his belt, and he'll be fine.

He has had 2 perfectly good goals wrongly disallowed for offside.

Yep agreed, and he also missed the sitter against Blackburn. My point was that Jack Nicklaus the golfer said that the more he practiced the luckier he got, there's no such thing as luck over a season, the cream will rise to the top naturally, the better players will score more goals than the average players not down to luck but because they're of a greater ability. So let's not hear we were unlucky this season please.

Yep agreed, and he also missed the sitter against Blackburn. My point was that Jack Nicklaus the golfer said that the more he practiced the luckier he got, there's no such thing as luck over a season, the cream will rise to the top naturally, the better players will score more goals than the average players not down to luck but because they're of a greater ability. So let's not hear we were unlucky this season please.

You play another 46 games, the table wouldn't look like this - guaranteed, therefore... it's about which team can pick up the most points over a 46 game spell, not who is the better team...  :ph34r:

Football is all about margins, i've seen Forest this season - they're a poor footballing side, but they've made their one or two chances a game count, whereas we've on occasion not made our 6/7 chances count, but sometimes we have.

I think you can tell who a good team is by their manner of their performances, Derby, Leicester and Palace are the 3 teams that have had some big victories this season, but also slipped up where they shouldn't, for the best footballing sides in this division, I'd look at them 3 teams personally. 

You play another 46 games, the table wouldn't look like this - guaranteed, therefore... it's about which team can pick up the most points over a 46 game spell, not who is the better team... :ph34r:

Football is all about margins, i've seen Forest this season - they're a poor footballing side, but they've made their one or two chances a game count, whereas we've on occasion not made our 6/7 chances count, but sometimes we have.

I think you can tell who a good team is by their manner of their performances, Derby, Leicester and Palace are the 3 teams that have had some big victories this season, but also slipped up where they shouldn't, for the best footballing sides in this division, I'd look at them 3 teams personally.

3 best footballing teams!? Agreed at times we have played very good football, Palace have done decent football, but Leicester mainly hoofball!

How can you say that Leicester in paticular are a better footballing side than, Watford, Brighton, Cardiff etc!?

Archived