Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

Am I the only who doesn't want Martin, I don't think he's that good a player, and one of the other strikers we are linked with would be a better use of are money

I just think he's on his arse to much, needs to work on his strength and fitness massively over the summer and I reckon he will be a good signing.

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be a good striker you have to be in the right place at the right time. He has shown precious little evidence of this since he's been here, due mostly to his lack of fitness and speed. I cannot for the life of me see him improving either to the dramatic effect he would require. He's also very poor in the air and lacks core strength. It's like we need to turn him into an athlete, when he's being paid megabucks already just to stay fit. How hard can it be, unless you lack the desire?

Signing him probably means we will only be after one more striker, and I assume it means we shift Tyson and Theo out. So disappointed if we take him. Midfield won't be changing too much, so how is this any different?

He's almost got the same goal to game ratio as sammon and he's got no s***. Kind of unfair I think.

So, to give Sammon less, or Martin more?

Martin won't be signed to score an abundance of goals, he'll be there for the link up play. He's more of an AM than a striker anyway. Agree that he could work on his fitness though.

Probably had two good games in his time here in my opinion.

Good first touch, poor in the air, slow, does't get into many goal scoring positions and doesn't have a great work rate.

As someone already said, he is no better than Sammon yet seemed immune from criticism.

Of course with a pre season under his belt things may be different but I am not excited by the signing in the slightest. No improvement on what we already have in my opinion.

How is he no better than Sammon? He can actually shoot without looking awkward, he can control it (including on his chest), he can actually pass. 3 things right there which make him better than Sammon. This is by no means saying Martin is any good, but I'd much rather have him up top with someone else than Sammon with someone else.

How is he no better than Sammon? He can actually shoot without looking awkward, he can control it (including on his chest), he can actually pass. 3 things right there which make him better than Sammon. This is by no means saying Martin is any good, but I'd much rather have him up top with someone else than Sammon with someone else.

Well his goal scoring record has hardly set the place alight since he has been here nor in any of his previous seasons.

His control is better but he is so slow in doing anything that a lot of the time his good control is wasted.

As stated his work rate is worse and he is much slower, two things that make him no better than Sammon.

I don't judge purely on goals, but he always looks more likely that Sammon. I doubt we'll ever see Sammon score a goal like Martin's the other week. Chesting it down and sweeping it in from the edge of the box. He just simply doesn't have any where near the ability.

Well his goal scoring record has hardly set the place alight since he has been here nor in any of his previous seasons.

His control is better but he is so slow in doing anything that a lot of the time his good control is wasted.

As stated his work rate is worse and he is much slower, two things that make him no better than Sammon.

I don't judge purely on goals, but he always looks more likely that Sammon. I doubt we'll ever see Sammon score a goal like Martin's the other week. Chesting it down and sweeping it in from the edge of the box. He just simply doesn't have any where near the ability.

Me neither.

Just think that if he has been playing to win a contract in the last few weeks his work rate has been very very poor, at times he has looked completely uninterested.

Not a great fan of Sammon but don't think Martin is much of an improvement on him, if any at all.

But lots of goals from midfield....imagine how good they will be with a striker.

As fans we want top 6 which means we need better than what we have. That means saying current players are not good enough. For me the return from our strike force is not good enough. That's fact.

We scored more goals this season than in our successful playoff season under BD, so I spit on your 'fact'

http://www.football-league.co.uk/championship/news/20130506/rams-close-in-on-martin-deal_2293322_3169197?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+npower_Champ+%28npower_Champ%29

Derby are close to completing a deal to sign Chris Martin, according to Rams boss Nigel Clough.

The striker finished the season on loan at Pride Park from Norwich, where his contract expires next month.

The npower Championship club have been in talks with Martin, 24, and his representatives and Clough are confident of adding the player to the squad on a permanent basis.

"We are close to securing Chris Martin," Clough told the Derby Telegraph.

"I think he has shown enough in the last two or three months to say he is going to be a good addition for us.

"Some of his link-up play with Jamie Ward and the midfield against Millwall on Saturday was very good. We have seen some good things from him."

Martin joined Derby on loan in February and made 13 league appearances for the Rams, scoring two goals.

Pass it to his feet, get him fit, and we can actually hold the ball up for once. He plays people in, next to Sammon he can't as Sammon isn't smart enough to run the channels in behind defenders (that isn't meant as a pure insult to Sammon, he just isn't that kind of player).

Play him next to a Vaughan/Theo and you'll begin to see how he's useful. Having him around actually encourages us to play along the floor, as he can't dominate in the air, though he can win a ball in the air every so often (just not the aimless ones).

I like him. He's no world beater, but he is of some use, and that is important. He's an enabler, and he has good technique, which in his role is important. He's also half decent with a dead ball. For a free, he'll do. He's likely not on big wages, which also helps.

My two problems with Martin are, that he lacks pace, and as shown on saturday, while playing the lone front man role, he fails to hold the ball up, has a good touch and can finish when under pressure, so would be a very good 3rd striker, still hoping to get Vaughan though

So, to give Sammon less, or Martin more?

Martin won't be signed to score an abundance of goals, he'll be there for the link up play. He's more of an AM than a striker anyway. Agree that he could work on his fitness though.

so one striker for work rate, one for link up play. Sounds like a good goalscoring season next year :/

Archived