Chris Martin

Nijul_cluff

Jackson is a better value player than Martin and Vaughan.

Seen and heard about all three players enough times, having family over in Norfolk.

He's out of contract, doubt Norwich won't extend having got Van Wolfswinkel on the books next season and he's more than capable of scoring goals at this level. If he's worst than the other two, why is he the one not out on loan?

750,000 for a injury prone Vaughan or a freebie who could manage twenty a season with the right service? Tough-un

Just a thought but if we are developing an obsession with Norwich Strikers does that mean that next summer I can have a derby shirt with "Van Wolfswinkel" on the back......?

• Replies 573
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Says in the DET - "Derby County are believed to be edging closer to agreeing a deal to sign striker Chris Martin from Norwich City"

Wrong answer....I hope they carry on edging so incrementally that by the time they do get round to signing him he will be retired from professional football

Is the lack of goals from a striker not a downfall?

It looks like he is coming but it's yet another distinctively average Clough signing.

Scored 2 (4) in 12. The second figure's counting the two wrongly disallowed goals. 1 in 3 isn't bad when he's lacking match fitness.

I don't think we should write Martin off just yet, if he signs and has a proper full pre-season he could get his sharpness back, never going to be quick but he seems to have a decent football brain and can get in decent positions.

I'd rather have him than keep Tyson and Robinson to be honest.

Lazy, easy choice to look no further then Martin

We were told just before Martin and Forsyth joined that players coming in on loan would be with a view to a permanent signing.

If we've decided he's good enough, how is that lazy? We've got a target, we've got him in on loan to have a look and now we're trying to sign him.

Lazy or just sensible planning?

Only sensible if we decide he will improve us for next season.

I think he would be good to have on the bench but certainly should not be good enough to be starting next season.

With a good pre season behind him though he may go on and prove to be a real asset.

Time will tell..

We were told just before Martin and Forsyth joined that players coming in on loan would be with a view to a permanent signing.

If we've decided he's good enough, how is that lazy? We've got a target, we've got him in on loan to have a look and now we're trying to sign him.

Lazy or just sensible planning?

It's the safe thing to do, Martin has been just OK whilst on loan, not pulled up many tree, not had too many shockers. Just OK. We want to better the squad not add just another average player to its ranks

Is the lack of goals from a striker not a downfall?

It looks like he is coming but it's yet another distinctively average Clough signing.

Doesn't seem to be doing the Gumps any harm. Not had a striker score there since BD took over.

But lots of goals from midfield....imagine how good they will be with a striker.

As fans we want top 6 which means we need better than what we have. That means saying current players are not good enough. For me the return from our strike force is not good enough. That's fact.

If you ever saw Forest play, then you'd understand it's not really the strikers fault for not getting the goals. The emphasis is definitely on the midfield, and the strikers are used as 'runners' to supply space and disrupt the oppositions backline, in all honesty Forest couldn't wish for a better striker for their type of play than Sammon. Cox plays a similar role to Sammon but not as comprehensive, not bad on the ball but he runs into no mans land a lot, and loses the ball, not as quick, not as strong, not as active... reminds me of when we had varney. Blackstock, well, I haven't see blackstock for a while but I suppose he'll still be playing his arms everywhere, feet everywhere standard football. Sharp likes to slip into holes, and generally keep quite - definitely the most intelligent and technically gifted striker they have, but they just don't play like that. Henderson, as you can imagine is used for definite brute force, against Cardiff they was using him as a pivatol point, where he was just grappling with the defence (doing an okay job of it) until he lost his barings and completely arm-bar'd a player in the face (and rightfully got sent off) 

I would say, Sammon would be better off under Billy Davies - he would fit into that system quite well, and get their midfield players who for the most part just play direct into the game more, give them more space and Billy Sharp would excel here, someone to get on the end of the balls into the box, someone looking for Hughes to slip them in...etc 

I think sometimes you have to look at a particular striker for a particular role, for me I haven't seen a better 'all nuisance' striker than Sammon, he is a box of energy - always charging and working on something (this has been pointed out by numerous people) the Forest game for instance, pure grit and determination in getting the ball back, slipped ward in for a great finish. Roles reversed, Ward wouldn't of won the ball, and I don't think Sammon would of finished it off. That's what I mean by having a striker for a certain role. I think we need that striker who can run in behind the defence, and who will be always lurking around that 6 yard box.

DERBY County are expected to complete the signings of goalkeeper Lee Grant and striker Chris Martin this week.

And the double swoop could be only the start of the club’s move to strengthen the squad for next season.

Martin has started the last 12 games for Derby in his loan spell from Norwich.

The 24-year-old has scored two goals.

“We are close to securing Chris Martin,” said Clough.

“I think he has shown enough in the last two or three months to say he is going to be a good addition for us.

“Some of his link up play with Jamie Ward and the midfield against Millwall was very good.

“We have seen some good things from him.”

http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-18897194-detail/story.html?#axzz2SEFi1CDx

Archived