Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

My old man worked with Colin Boulton's dad so I used to get taken to every game free from the age of 4. Attended every game home away and in Europe during those heady days - used to have some fantastic excuses for why I had to miss the odd school day..got some fantastic memorabilia from those times - stacks of signed match shirts, boots shin pads etc etc...

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashamed to say I am a glory hunter. Can remember the moment clearly in mid 70s aged around 6 years on my south east London primary school playing field and was in a group each having to say who we supported. I panicked, and went for the team at the top of the league, and blurted out 'Derby'. Strange how moments such as these can change your life.

Aged 8, and with no allegiance at the time, my dad brought 3 promotional framed photos home from the filling station he managed. Not sure if it was immovable stock, but they were pictures of the Rams, WBA and Fulham. I liked the Derby picture; it was a first team shot of the players posing in front of what looked like a green corrugated shed! That was 1969 and my dad took me to see the Rams for the first time in 1970, away to WBA.  Never wavered from following them, in truth it was easy in the 70s, but did not really get to go to many games till I passed my test at 20 so I went through the 80s watching, at times, some right ****e. Still never lived any closer than 110 miles from Derby.

Watched them play a few times on the b&w and liked the style,

but the first time i saw Brian Clough do an interview, that´s all it took.

Never been to Derby to watch them play, but if i make it one day

it will be like going on a holy pilgrimage

Born in Burton but lived in Utch. Dad had relatives in Allestree and Chad and worked at British Rail so i was always in Derby as a kid even though never lived there. 

When i was 10, i was taken to Derby v Everton. It would have been 1970. We was squeezed down the front in the Ossie End, the noise and excitement was unbelievable and i never wanted to be anywhere else.

Ashamed to say I am a glory hunter. Can remember the moment clearly in mid 70s aged around 6 years on my south east London primary school playing field and was in a group each having to say who we supported. I panicked, and went for the team at the top of the league, and blurted out 'Derby'. Strange how moments such as these can change your life.

Born in Burton but lived in Utch. Dad had relatives in Allestree and Chad and worked at British Rail so i was always in Derby as a kid even though never lived there. 

When i was 10, i was taken to Derby v Everton. It would have been 1970. We was squeezed down the front in the Ossie End, the noise and excitement was unbelievable and i never wanted to be anywhere else.

​Similar, although my mam was Derby tup, i was born in Dundee but we moved down when I was still young.  Was too much a bookworm at school to be into the football <never could play, always last pick in PE>, but after moving away realised that it is an important part of identity. Went to some matches when I was back in the shire and that was it, hooked.

That and my Grandad saw the Rams win the FA cup as well as the league twice.

It was either forest or derby back in the 70's in old ilkeston but my uncle was a derby fan and took me to matches so that swung it....

I was pretty quick as a lad so started playing for the junior rams and played at the bbg a few times as a centre forward and that cemented my derby fanship through good,bad and latterly,good again

​Off the top of my head i could probably name 7 or 8 of the Everton team of 1970......without googleing...

Gordon West

Lyons (centre half)

Keith Newton

Howard Kendall

Brian Labone

Colin Harvey

Alan Ball (or had he gone to Arsenal?)

Joe Royle

I support them because they are the greatest football club the world has ever seen...... isn't that obvious?

I was born in Derby and 29 years later when my son was due to pop out i made sure he was born in Derby too even though our nesrest hospital was Mansfield, no way was i letting him being born in Nottinghamshire.

Lived for 32 years in Nether Heage and Swanwick, since then I have lived in Staffs, Switzerland, France, Germany, USA but there is only one place i have ever, or will ever call home....the beautiful, elegant, vibrant city of Derby..

I was actually born in Yeovil but moved to Derby with parents when I was 2 and lived first Chellaston then Belper until adulthood.

Mother was born/bred Derby so she was coming home - her father worked for the footwear company that supplied a lot of the players boots and so he would often take me to the BBG and into the bootroom and once into the dressing room on the day of a game. I was only about 8 or 9 at the time in the early 70's - was the era of Toddy, MacFarland et al .

Used to go with mum to watch the reserves when they played at the BBG in the week and only the B stand was open (and it was free for season ticket holders and kids).

That's a long winded way of saying it's in my upbringing and partly DNA.

I go when I can. Attendance used to be regular until I went to University (Colchester) then better when I lived in Peterborough and as much as I can do now I live in Hants (Southampton).

Archived