Why do you support the Rams?

McClarensLads

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was a rams fan since time, I was born on a council estate in Leicester and took some stick for being a "sheepsha**er" which was my usual taunt, I have not a clue why I supported Derby because my old man was a Tottenham fan and my brother was a Leeds fan, I used to make my way from Leicester on my own to watch the rams at the BBG when I was 13, I was present at the 100 years against wolves, I must admit that I spent much more time at the BBG than I have at Pride Park (Ipro) due to work commitments, I still get sweaty palms and still think we have the best support in the Country, we surely had some ups and downs, imagine living in Leicester when your plying your trade in DIV.3, I have received some stick for sure but I am proud how we are not buying our way out of the league, we have a good management team who care about the youth setup and hopefully provide the National team with plenty of players in the near future.

anyone noticed that this text keeps changing to "underline" and/or "italic" when starting a thread ?

First game age 7  - 1973  - West Ham (won 2 nil) - got there so early  - with my dad - that I got my photo taken  - and this went in the Ram the following week.

Season ticket in Ley Stand followed 1974............

Teenage  - popsider

Worst day - Hillsborough - 1976

Went to the Derby vs Real Madrid game - Charlie George cracker...

2015 - promotion watching supporter.............

Born and Raised in Derby, my old man is a derby fan etc etc the same as a lot of people. Season ticket holder from 1995 until a couple years ago when work commitments made it so that I'd miss far more games than I'd attend. This will no doubt make me a part time fan in some people's eyes as I only go to around 10 games a season now we're good but never missed a game when we where ****!!!!! typical

My Uncle Len took me to my first match, a 2-2 draw against Wolves in feb 1966. I was in the boys end and I remember the roar from the Popside. Within a year or two I was a Popsider and I was there that wonderful night against Chelsea (Oct 2 1968) and saw all the famous games. Best one ever, for quality of football, has to be the 5-3 cup replay win at Spurs in Feb 1973. Best mental ever has to be the FA Cup win against Forest in 1983 and the "Ten men" win at City Ground. My Uncle Len's dad was at the Sunderland away match in the FA Cup in the 1930s when there was 75,000 there and my granddad was watching them at the turn of the twentieth century so it's in the blood. My three brothers and my sister and all my cousins are mad keen Rams. Good times seem to be on the way. Can't wait for the Fulham match.

Born DRI last few days of 75, raised in Spondon, dad a Yorkshire man( also a Scarborough fan), mother Irish, last of six kids, no parental or brotherly guidance, hence ended up an Everton fan at first, chiefly cos they were the first team I'd seen on the telly! 

1st ever live game, dad took me to City Ground to watch Everton vs Forest, 0-0.

Second game was Derby vs Everton, 3-2 rams win, watched from the front of the Family end, also witnessed my 1st fight after the match,  still an Everton fan at the time, but the seed had been planted, and soon grew.

Soon after went with some Derby supporting schoolfriends to games, chiefly because I could get in free with a bus pass, took me all of 2 games to completely fall in love with the club,  the sense of belonging to something, and being proud of what you are and where you come from, but most of all the sense of being at home a****st thousands of strangers, has never left me, and never will. 

It's one of the reasons I wholeheartedly agree with the club's policy of free season tickets for the u12's, get them at that age and make generations of fans for life.

My Dad took me to watch Derby vs Barcelona and vs Athletico Madrid (I think it was them) both in pre-season. My 1st season ticket was the Ravanelli season i remember walking up the stairs thinking OMG what is this with excitement.

He scored that free kick and my Dad was down stairs for a drink I was going mental hopefully getting my son to get into it soon :)!

I was born in South London but moved to a village near Loughborough when I was 10. Although I was surrounded by Leicester and Forest fans a mate in my form at school was a Ram and at breaktimes I had to be Swindlehurst to his Biley in the kickabouts! I was quickly bitten by the bug; got my first Rams kit in 1981, saw my first match at the BBG in 1982 and have followed them ever since. Although I'm not from the area and have no connection to Derby I couldn't imagine supporting any other team - I've followed them through thick and thin - it's in the blood. 

I probably would know him I knew most of the families in that area (used to be known as Osmaston, don't know if it still is) within the range of Royce's Bull and also the Bull of Ley's (if you don't know what I'm talking about will gladly explain for a couple of pints of foaming ale next time I'm in the Motherland)

​The only thing i can think that they might be are the sirens that they used. Can't remember if they were to signal dinner break or the start of shift. Remember Royce's blasting out.

I have my brother to thank for converting me as a nipper from Liverpool (yes I was deluded!) to the mighty Rams in the early 1980s. Been with the team through thick and thin ever since and hope to god that this season is our season! Being Derby though they like to shred our nerve ends till the very end!

I had a choice between Arsenal, Newcastle and Derby to support as a child. Dad was Arsenal and Grandad was Newcastle, but my uncle Brian Fearn was involved with the board at Derby when I was young so it felt right at the time to go with the Rams. Sadly by the time I was old enough to have a real interest in football he had left, missed out on a lot of amazing experiences by being born 5-10 years too late! 

Without doubt I made the right choice though, loved every second of supporting Derby, even during the days of Phil Brown...

Archived